Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add the Find and Select button onto the Ribbon

The Find and Select option is not available on the Ribbon make options like Replace difficult to find.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is now available in the 16.24 update, which you can get if you opt into the Insiders Program, by going to Help > Check for Updates (not available if you installed from the Mac App Store). If you don’t want to opt into the Insiders program, this will be released in mid-April 2019.

2. ExportAsFixedFormat xlTypePDF

the function ExportAsFixedFormat xlTypePDF does not print images, charts or graphs.

For example

Sub PrintReport()
    Dim sPath As String
    sPath = "/path/to/myreport.pdf"
    Sheet1.ExportAsFixedFormat xlTypePDF, sPath
    End Sub

will produce a PDF file, but if the print range contains images ,graphs, etc. they will be omitted.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The IFS function is now available for O365 subscribers with version 16.×. The SWITCH function is also available in version 16.×. To update, go to the Help menu and choose Check for Updates.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

4. Please allow side by side window view in an excel workbook

I am so used to being able to alt+tab between two windows in the same Excel workbook. This should be available in Office for Mac 365

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Navigation of Tabs - Use Ctrl+Tab to tab between Sheets

Is it possible to use a simple key combination to switch tabs? Like <CMD><TAB> to switch between windows... Maybe make it an option to change the <CTRL><TAB> function which switches through worksheets. When I'm in a single worksheet I often want to <TAB> through the tabs!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fix column width dialog box to accept units in points, not inches

Dear Microsoft. How can I change column width measurements in Excel 2016 for Mac from inches back to characters or points, as in Excel for Windows?

I recently started using Excel 2016 for Mac to test templates for sharing compatibility between the Windows and Mac platforms.

After selecting one or multiple columns, and then right-clicking and selecting Column Width, one would normally enter points into the dialog box. But in Excel 2016 for Mac I am forced to enter inches instead of points. Ironically, when I grab a column border in the column heading, I am able to resize the…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for requesting this update. This has been fixed and you should see the column width shown in characters and row height in pixels in the dialog. Please update to Excel for Mac version 15.34 or greater to see this.

7. 'Select Objects'

How about giving the option 'select objects' for users to highlight which objects they want to delete? My only option on iMac is to press F5, special, then select objects which deletes all objects. Please address this issue as quickly as possible.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is now available in the 16.24 update, which you can get if you opt into the Insiders Program, by going to Help > Check for Updates (not available if you installed from the Mac App Store). If you don’t want to opt into the Insiders program, this will be released in mid-April 2019.

To select objects, you can click the Find & Select button on the Home tab of the ribbon, and choose the Selection Pane… or Select Objects.

8. Fix cell selection misalignment (likely out of memory) issues on High Sierra

I have High Sierra and Excel version 16.14.1. The issue I describe below has been there in Sierra, and prior versions of Excel - at least last 6 months.

Basically, sometimes after just a few new entries, sometimes after multiple entries, I'm unable to select and enter data/edit the cell I want. The cursor lands on another cell, typically one or two above.

The only way to recover is to quit Excel, not just close and reopen file. That's why I think it's a memory leak...

The file is less then 200 rows with 15 columns. Most cells have a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. Several issues have been fixed with regard to cell selection. Some have already been released and one fix will be available in the Oct. 2019 monthly release of Excel for Mac. Once you have version 16.30 or greater, you should no longer have an issue if you are using repeated rows at the top of your sheet and using Page Layout View. If you want to get the fix sooner, you can opt into the Insiders program and choose the Fast updates. To do so, just go to Help > Check for Updates. Then check the box to join the Office Insider Program and choose Office Insider Fast. Then press Check for Updates and install version 16.30×.

9. 'Select all' in the address bar

Command+A in the address bar or triple clicking on a cell doesn't select all the text in a cell any more! Can you please put that back? I have a lot of semi-repetitive labels that each need slight editing and the new update has made it hard! Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Mac excel two finger touchpad right click is not working.

Mac excel two-finger touchpad right-click is not working.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Intermittent problem with "Rows to repeat at the top" under Page Setup

I work on my Excel spreadsheets in Page Layout view and have being using the "rows to repeat at the top" command in Page Setup for years without any problem when using Office 2011. After switching to Office 365, I am now having intermittent problems with the cell reference on page 2 of a spreadsheet if I have used the "rows to repeat at the top" command. When I click on a cell on page 2, the cell reference intermittently goes out of sync with the cursor by the number of rows that I have repeated at the top of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. This issue has been fixed and will be available in the next monthly release of Excel for Mac. Once you have version 16.30 or greater, you should no longer have this issue. If you want to get the fix sooner, you can opt into the Insiders program and choose the Fast updates. To do so, just go to Help > Check for Updates. Then check the box to join the Office Insider Program and choose Office Insider Fast. Then press Check for Updates and install version 16.30×.

12. Allow switching between Light or Dark theme in Excel.

With the new Mohave MacOS update, the dark theme setting has become global which now impacts MS Excel for mac. With the dark theme turned on the colour scheme on excel looks horrible and is very harsh on the eye because of massively contrasting colours. See ribbon screenshot attached, the colours stand out. If you have a sheet which has been colour coded to explain things, visually the sheet stands out and is very harsh on the eyes.

There should be an option within Excel to switch back to the "Light" theme, but for people who like the dark theme,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Pls add draw or ink option on Excel for Mac

I would like to use the draw or ink tool on Excel for Mac.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Navigating To The Next Worksheet After Editing A Worksheet Tab

When double clicking in a worksheet tab and editing its name etc.., after pressing enter the user cannon press Control or Alt +Pg up or down and move to the next sheet. The user MUST click in the worksheet 1st before using the keyboard shortcut to navigate to the next worksheet. This is not correct behavior and seems to be a bug. Does not work like this in Office 2011 or the Windows version. Can you please fix? Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fix data entry

I'm trying to enter the text "HSA" into an Excel cell. No matter what I do or how many times I type it, Excel changes it to "HAS". What the **** is wrong with you people!?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have good news to share. In the January 2019 release of Excel for both Mac and Windows, this issue has been resolved. Once you install the update, Excel will allow you to override any autocorrection simply by going back and typing over the correction. For example, if you type “HSA” into cell A1, Excel will autocorrect it to “HAS”. If you go back and type “HSA” again in the same place, Excel will not correct it again. It will still autocorrect “HSA” if you type it into a different location, or if another autocorrection happens before you change “HAS” back to “HSA”. To summarize, Excel will no longer make the same autocorrection 2 times consecutively.

This fix is included in Excel for Mac if you have version 16.20 or greater, and Excel for Windows if you have version 16.0.11126 or greater.

16. The CONCAT Function explanation has an incorrect example.

Example 3, a table of examples has =CONCAT(C2,",",B2) but the result shown is incorrect

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for letting us know, we updated the topic and are publishing it now. Should be live in a few hours (11/22/2016)

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

17. Fix click-drag to select cells in Mac

I can't click-drag to select multiple cells with the mouse/trackpad. When trying to do so, it only selects the first cell I click. I can only select multiple cells with the keyboard. I am currently running version 15.25 (160719) - new install on a new Mac running OS X 10.11.6.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Tye,

This issue only repros on Macs with the new Tracpad (or new MBP with force touch).

We’ve fixed the issue in build 15.25 (160721) and later.

Until you get that build (you may be able to update to it now), the immediate workaround is todo the following:

1. Go to System preference→Track pad→
    2. Disable Force click and haptic feedback

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

18. I would like to have the formula bar as a Mac user

Please add the formula bar for Mac users to increase the font size

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

We have this functionality already – the formula bar exists on all versions of Excel.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

19. default workbook

Please tell us where (and how, if necessary) we can change the default workbook.

If that is not currently accessible to users, please add it.

I have tried to create my own default workbook in the Templates and Startup folders, both with and without a file extension, but all to no avail.

Word allows us to create our own Normal.dotm in the Templates folder and that gets used for word defaults. Be nice if Excel did it in a similar way.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Introduce an equivalent to F2 on PC to edit and F4 to make cell references absolute

Introduce a shortcut to make cell references absolute like F4 on PC version (F2 edit equivalent would be helpful too)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

If a function key doesn’t work as you expect it to, press the FN key in addition to the function key. If you don’t want to press the FN key each time, you can change your Apple system preferences:

Go to Apple > System Preferences > Keyboard.

On the Keyboard tab, select the check box for Use all F1, F2, etc. as standard function keys.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base