Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Direct Paste Value (Text)

with Excel for Windows there is a Right click past as 'text' option which was super helpful when when building price lists for example where you grabbing data from various sources and wanting to pate unformatted text or pase while not messing with the existing cell formatting. Need a paste as text shortcut or Right click pate text option. Mac does have a default Paste as text shortcut (Shift ALT Apple Key V) but the combo is not friendly,

Right now you have to choose Paste Special, Value which is time consuming if you doing it allot.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Keep graph format the same when scrolling to other data

When I scroll down to a next set of data to produce line graphs for several items, the format of lines and markers changes, which I do not want (the idea is to produce multiple graphs with identical formats). I can overcome this by copying the graph- paste special-format (onto this graph) before I start scrolling, but I have to do this again each time I re-open the excel file. Very annoying.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add feature to create data connection from web

Ability to create data connection from web is needed.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Save as: Windows Comma Separated (.csv) - Missing in new version of Excel

With the new update of Excel for Mac (ver.15 -> ver.16) we lost the ability to Save as: Windows Comma Separated (.csv)

It also lost the ability to read these files with foreign characters (my case Swedish). I have my system in English and Excel in English, but I do work with .csv files in Swedish from time to time.

Now I needed to downgrade my system to 15.32, and can't keep my Office 365 suit up to date before I know that this works again.

(Attached are a screenshot of the "Save as" option that we lost with the…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Resize columns in multiple sheets at the same time in the same workbook

In Office 2016 Excel on Windows, when I select multiple sheets, then resize a column in one sheet, that change is applied to all of the other sheets in the workbook. This does not seem to work on Excel 2016 for Mac.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Correct the "Font Size Must Be Between 1 and 409" error that prevents using the ribbon control to alter the color of the borders.

Correct the "Font Size Must Be Between 1 and 409" error that prevents using the ribbon control to alter the color of the borders.
    Reset

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Excel 2016 Please return the "enable: all files" in the text import box so we can import files that have extensions other than .txt

Excel 2011 had the option at the bottom to switch to "all files" when importing text files so that files that had extensions other than .txt would not be greyed out. This is now gone in Excel 2016 so it is impossible to import text files that have other file extensions unless you rename them (which is very impractical for me).

Please put the option back! I want to be able to import .dat, .ici, .ocw and so on as I used to on Excel 2011.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. get rid of the "Data connections have been disabled" error message that appears every time you import anything.

get rid of the "Data connections have been disabled" error message that appears every time you import anything.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Open files with alternative extensions

I'd like to be able to open files with arbitrary file extensions.

Many files I have or work with are tsv files, but don't always have that extension, and it's not even an option to open them in Excel!

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Pivot table sort totals column

Include capability to sort pivot tables by Totals columns/rows. This has been in the Windows version since 2010 at least. Why not include this basic feature in the Mac version?

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Signature line needed in Excel 2016 for MAC

I have several customers that would like to see the Signature line functionality that is available in the Windows version, also become available in the MAC version. This is needed for a variety of reasons, but the number 1 reason I hear, is so they can have employees 'sign off' on their timesheets, without having to print them or export to PDF. They have also called it 'Inking', where you can sign off with your fingertip.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Formula Evaluation (Auditing) doesn't exist for Mac?

I know, I know...Mac Users are different, but it doesn't mean they can't benefit from clear insights to their Formulas.

Alt+T, U, F in Excel for Windows gives a step-through window for evaluating a given formula. This isn't an option on Excel for Mac. Is there any work being done to enable it? Just wondering also why such basic functions for maintaining workbooks wouldn't be available across platforms.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks.

BPC.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Excel crashes and cells cannot be edited with High Sierra

Dear Excel team, this has been posted already and has 74 comments on it, but you closed it. The reason you are not seeing crash reports is because we have to kill the app and this doesn't seem to generate a crash report.

Issue is as described by 4 pages of comments, please reopen. If not then I have created this as a new issue.

If you attempt to double click in the cell or click in the function bar, then Excel freezes, by keeping the cursor in the cell and removing keyboard entry. Menu's stop working as well, the…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make Name Manager Mac = Name Manager Windows

Where has the Name Manager for Mac (Excel 2016) gone? I have imported work done earlier on a Windows platform and now need to work with the named ranges...but cannot find a way to access the Name Manager. The suggestion I find on the web to push command +fn + F3 does not work.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow Userforms that are modeless

Allow Excel for Mac to support Userforms that are modeless, so that the Userform will not interrupt editing of the worksheet while the user form is shown.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Pivot Table Auto-filtering

When doing a search in a Pivot Table, the data is not not get auto filtered as it does in a non-pivotable Filter. After you type in the search item you then have to uncheck the select all box and re-select the checkbox of the item you are searching for to filter the data. Please fix. Thank you.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add ribbon buttons and keyboard shortcuts for superscript and subsript

Why is it so much harder to make text superscript or subscript in Excel, both for mac and windows?

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Check/Uncheck Filter Items Shortcut

There is no shortcut to check/uncheck filter items in the dropdown for Mac.

Space bar or return do not work.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. ISSUES in Excel MAC 2016

Hi I recently switched from excel 2011 to 2016. Using excel on mac seems like Microsoft purposefully left errors to serious excel users would have no option but to return to windows based computers. I am facing the following issues 1) black cross doesn't appear all the time so at times i am unable to drag or repeat data or formulas 2) when i click on a formula and it doesn't highlight all cells that formula is linked to 3) some times there is a lag, say i enter the numbers 100 into cell it, it takes sometimes very long…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. "What If" Question Environment for Business & Finance (like Quantrix, but better)

The idea is simple:

If I paste in a financial, excel 'knows' what it is automacally ie) Balance Sheet, and opens up a submenu that will enable me, should I click there, to ask WHAT IF questions of the statement. The answers will be posted to a new sheet, which is the output environment for the identified financial.

Quantrix has allowed you to do this since inception, but Quantrix does not make it seem 'plug & play simple.' So this is a MAJOR opportunity for Excel to make those features intuitive and easy to use, while being just as rich.…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base