Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve graph performance with plots containing >1000 datapoints in Excel 2016

Excel 2016 chokes when handling plots containing many data points. Copying these plots from Excel to Word or Powerpoint causes issues in those applications as well.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Webservice and FilterXML functions are needed!

The Webservice and FilterXML functions are supported in Excel 2013 for Win, they are useful function and I need the same functions in my work. Please add Webservice and FilterXML functions in Excel 2016 for MAC.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Solve the problem of poor Cross-platform

Excel online, Excel 365 for Mac, Excel 365 for Windows - different products. If I made a file on windows - it will not work on the Mac either.
    Excel 365 for Mac does not have charts from Excel 365 for Windows. If I create a file in the Pro version, then it does not work in the home version. This is bad! The file is everywhere different! I can not be sure that my project looks equally good everywhere.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Improve the Help

I am a former PC user now with the Mac version. Some of the graphics functions I have been doing for years on the PC (e.g., plot data on two vertical scales, put a title on the vertical scale), I cannot find on the Mac version. Surely there is a way. HELP in Excel in the Mac is NO HELP. (True also for WORD--HELP is NO HELP).

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Select object tool

The select object tool is no longer in excel 2011. It is very tedious so select one object at a time when in the previous version I could just use the select object tools and select them all at once.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Solver in Excel for Mac gives wrong answers to problems with binary variables. I teach an optimization class where this is a big problem.

Solver in the latest version of Excel for Mac gives wrong answers to problems with binary variables. I am a professor and I teach an optimization class where this is a big problem. Running Solver in the attached file (and many others) generates wrong answers in the latest Excel for Mac. It works fine in other versions of Excel, including Excel for Mac 2011.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Export to SharePoint

It would be great if you could export from Excel to a Sharepoint list in Excel for Mac. At present you have to cut and paste which is prone to error with large files.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Could you please document/explain the differences in form control/VBA usage in Office 2016 for Mac?

I'm building an Excel spreadsheet tool that I would like to be compatible across different versions of Office. It's not terribly complicated; just a few sheets and buttons that allow you to manage data & do some basic analysis. I was able to make it completely compatible with Excel 2011 for Mac by using only form controls and by getting rid of any "Missing" references in the VBA editor, but in Office 2016, I get errors trying to set the value of a drop-down/combobox using .ControlFormat.ListIndex or .ControlFormat.Value. Both versions work fine in Excel 2010 & 2013 for Windows and…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Please bring back "PivotTable and PivotChart Wizard" to Excel on Mac

PivotTable and PivotChart Wizard works well on Windows. It is important to analyze data. I am sure most us our missing it

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. "Manual" calculation setting should not affect other spreadsheets

If a user has a spreadsheet that has calculations set to "Manual" (for what reason, I can't fathom), if they open that spreadsheet first, then all subsequent spreadsheets open in that session will do manual calculation.

Calculation settings should not be global like that. If you have to have a Manual calculation spreadsheet, that should only affect that single spreadsheet -- not any others that may be concurrently opened.

This is a terrible design choice.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Opening .cub files to let us work on B.I. basis

As many people who works in a Business enviroment, I face off daily data files coming from DBases on Winservers machines.
    Our Dbase export B.I. files with .cub extensions, who can be easily opened and analized with Excel 2010 or above. We have licensed Win and Mac 2016 versions, but Mac users cannot open .cub files...
    Webought Excel for that, and we won't sell our Mac for Win PCs, so why buy MS appplications if they don't work on a Mac? For simple tasks, Libreoffice works great....

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide data get and tranform including JSON to Excel transformation

This feature is provided with Windows Excel 2016 but not with Mac. Isn't it time to make the Mac software a first-class citizen with Microsoft. It seems like forever that Microsoft started supporting Mac Office, yet it still does not have all the features. Why not? I am paying you every month. Yet you still don't provide many advanced features. I will consider Pages then.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Excel for Mac 2016 does not open xlsm files from Excel for Windows !

Excel for Mac version 16.15 does not open xlsm files from Excel for Windows !

Excel has a very serious error:
    Do not open the xlsm files maked with Excel for Windows, please correct it... !!!

I have tried it with all my previous excel macros files and in all it sends me a message of ERROR, when accepting that, Excel proceeds to repair it deletes all the macros that you have programmed in VBA !!!

What kind of error is that ???

PLEASE CORRECT THAT HORROR !!!! ...

The exact message is the following:

Notice: 
We have found a…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow for full-functioning charts to be built from pivot tables

This used to be a feature on past versions of excel, where you could select data in a pivot table and create a chart from it that is fully customizable. Now, if you create a chart from a pivot table set of data, the "chart design" tab does not show and it limits the abilities to customize the chart effectively.

Can we get this back, please?

Original issue is here, along with specifics https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msomac-mso_mac2016/chart-design-tab-is-now-missing-on-excel-for-mac/919fea2d-b7b9-4a42-aa1e-25b0550ccbc4?messageId=4c949783-8231-4fc8-b868-e4fdee27ba76

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. vba ODBC connection

ActiveWorkbook.Connections("ConnectionName").ODBCConnection is broken. Please fix this single command. It is a blocking issue. All other ODBC commands are working as expected. Please fix this one so everything is working. Thanks

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Match Destination Format

In Preferences, allow for Match Destination Formatting as a default. Currently you can only do this by manually going to the Home>Paste area.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Pivottable - Repeat Item Labels

Hi, there is an important function missing in Excel for Mac ... the repeat item labels in pivot tables. ¿Could you please add this function asap or tell me how could I do this? I really need it in order to copy and filter pivot table data. Regards, Tais

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. GUI Query Builder

The lack of the GUI Query Builder makes Excel 2016 for Mac Useless for our organization.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make Distinct Count available in value field settings for Pivot Tables in MAC

make Distinct Count available in value field settings for Pivot Tables in MAC

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Cursor not properly positioned when editing directly inside cell

Another user posted this issue and it's been marked as "completed". Many of us are still having the same problem more than a year after the fix was rolled out. I am reposting it as an issue.

Original description: I found out that if you have longer texts (>20 chars) inside an Excel Cell and you try to edit them the more you get to the right of the text the more the cursor is drawn off to the left of the characters it is actually between. Cursor Position seems to be calculated wrong. I am using Standard Calibri Font.…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base