Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Printing vertical and horizontal worksheets

When printing within a workbook that has both vertical and horizontal work sheets the page orientations all become vertical or horizontal rather than maintaining the original orientation.

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

39 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This issue has been fixed and the fix will be available in version 16.35 or greater. You can get the fix in the monthly update available in March 2020, or you can get it sooner by opting into the Insiders Program and getting the Fast updates. To opt into the Insiders Program, go to the help menu and choose Check for updates. Then click the Advanced button and opt into the program and make sure you choose Fast updates.

Previously, orientation and paper size settings on individual worksheets were being overridden by the setting in the Print dialog. This meant that if you had 1 sheet to print in Portrait, and another in Landscape, you had to print them separately, otherwise they would both print in the same orientation. The settings were removed from the print dialog and now should be set on the Page Layout tab of the ribbon…

2. Allow Toolbar / Ribbon customization

the possibility to customize the toolbar or ribbon and adding custom buttons that start macros is vital for a efficient workflow when processing big amount of data tables.

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

42 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

June 16, 2016
    Great news, with Mac Excel 15.23 you can now customize the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) and Ribbon. This version started rolling out on June 14th, so look for an update if you don’t have it already.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3165798

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

Oct 31, 2015———————
    Thanks for your feedback! Just a note to let you know that we’re building your suggestion now.

3. 64-bit Version

Please release a 64-bit version of Office 2016 for Mac. Please. I have to have a Windows partition on my Mac just so I can boot into Windows and use Office 2013 64-bit. The workbooks I encounter are often 800,000+ lines and nothing Microsoft could do would make me happier than releasing a 64-bit version of Office 2016 for Mac. Please.

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – this is a few months late, so many of you may already be aware, but the 64-bit version of Mac Office was released in Sept. 2016. Thanks for your support and keep talking on UserVoice. We are paying attention, despite the slow update on this issue.

Thanks,
    Steve K
    Microsoft Excel

4. Enable Axis Format For New Chart Types in the Excel 2016 for Mac 16.9 Release

In Excel 2016 for Mac, new chart types were introduced, including Histogram, Tree Map, Sunburst and Box and Whisker. When attempting to format the X & Y Axes, either the Format box appeared with no parameters, or no Format box shows at all. This is critical, core functionality and is needed ASAP, for example a 16.10 update. With my specific case, /i was trying to adjust Bin parameters on a Histogram, and the Format Axis box never appeared.

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix VBA recording issue

Something I came across - which I suspect has been documents elsewhere but I can't readily see it so here goes.

When recording a macro in excel for mac 2016 for some reason the action of opening a file does not get recorded. The recorder literally doesn't register that you have opened the file. (Its a very useful step to provide the full syntax for the file path of the relevant file).

However when you close the file - that step is recorded as ActiveWorkbook.Close.

It took me a while to work out that the syntax from 2011 to 2016…

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Text import wizard - horizontal scroll is not working.

When I import a text file and want to select all of the columns as text the horizontal scroll feature does not work and I can only change what ever I can see in the window to text. I use the feature on a weekly basis. This makes excel 2016 unusable for me on a Mac.

75 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone – thanks for your persistence with this suggestion. This issue has been fixed. To get the fix, please install the latest updates by going to Help > Check for Updates. If you have version 16.41 or greater, you should be able to scroll horizontally in the table shown in the text import wizard.

Steve K [MS Excel]

7. 73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

61 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Although we are marking this as completed, it’s an ongoing effort to improve performance in Excel. Significant improvements have been made in both Page Layout View and Normal view, and since it’s an ongoing effort, we expect more in the future. If you have specific issues with performance, it would be helpful if you submit feedback to the Excel team by using the Send-a-Frown button in the top-right corner of the app.

8. Excel for Mac (2016) is very unstable and I often loose work and have to restart.

Unless Excel for Mac becomes stable, I will only use it on Windows and revert to other sw on the mac such as google docs, etc.

67 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Proper compatibility with 2011, scaling and sizes all over the place

Each time I open a 2011 file in 2016 the cell and page sizes are all wrong and previously well presented documents look terrible. Each time I open it I have to waste time resizing everything to work in 2016

65 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all your comments and votes supporting this suggestion. There are some differences which have been introduced so that Excel for Mac can align closer with Excel for Windows, so in some cases you will need to adjust your documents. One reason for the differences is how Excel determines the column width in your spreadsheets, which you can read more about here – https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/214123/description-of-how-column-widths-are-determined-in-excel.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

10. Fix the Broken Carat in the Formula Bar

The formula bar in Excel is horrendously broken. The carat randomly skips around and you cannot highlight text properly which makes it impossible to accurately edit formulas. This is especially heinous with long formulas, however this occurs with formulas OF ANY LENGTH.

Here is a video of this infuriating behavior:

https://vimeo.com/165402559

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Excel for Mac should have the new Stocks functionalty

It would be great if Excel for Mac (Insiders) is able to have the new Stocks functionality currently used by Excel for PC (Insiders)

This functonality is described in https://support.office.com/en-us/article/get-a-stock-quote-e5af3212-e024-4d4c-bea0-623cf07fbc54

In respect of this particular capability, it would bring Excel for Mac more in line with Apple Numbers which currently offers something similar.

Thank you for considering this addition.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Map Chart

Something that already exist for Windows and it's not available in office 365 for Mac !!!!!

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for suggesting and voting for this feature. As of version 16.9 (released in January 2018), Map charts have been supported in Excel for Mac for O365 subscribers, and they’ll be getting easier to use very soon.

Currently, if you have geographic data that can be used on a Map chart, you can click on the Insert > Recommended Charts button and Excel will recommend a map chart to insert.

In an update coming soon, we’ll be adding a “Map” chart button to the Insert tab of the ribbon, so it’s more obvious that you can insert a map chart.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

13. Selecting a cell with Mouse doesn't always work

I have a great deal of trouble with the mouse click in Excel (Version 15.22). I have to move the mouse out of the cell I'm working in, click on a cell far away from it several times, and then come back and try it again.

This is never an issue with Excel (Version 14.6.4). I'd like to use the later version but it's too difficult to use with the cell selection issue.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

107 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. Several issues have been fixed with regard to cell selection. Some have already been released and one fix will be available in the Oct. 2019 monthly release of Excel for Mac. Once you have version 16.30 or greater, you should no longer have an issue if you are using repeated rows at the top of your sheet and using Page Layout View. If you want to get the fix sooner, you can opt into the Insiders program and choose the Fast updates. To do so, just go to Help > Check for Updates. Then check the box to join the Office Insider Program and choose Office Insider Fast. Then press Check for Updates and install version 16.30×.

14. Fix navigation arrows for worksheet tabs in full screen view

When using excel on a mac in full screen view the arrows that appear to the very left of the first tab name do not work. This is super frustrating when you are using workbooks with many tabs that overflow the width of the screen. Switching through them with keyboard shortcuts to get to a tab that is off screen is very tedious.
    This functionality returns in non-full screen views.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Page Break Preview view

Please implement the "Page Break Preview" view like in Excel 2016 (Windows Version)

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This request has been completed. You can now find the Page Break Preview button next to the Page Layout View button on both the ribbon and in the status bar. Thanks again to everyone who asked for and voted for this suggestion.

Steve K [MS Excel]

16. Freeze Panes broken in 15.19.1

Frozen rows and columns scroll into the unfrozen area at the top and left when scrolling to the top row or leftmost column. After scrolling into the frozen cells, clicking the the top or leftmost unfrozen cell selects multiple cells equal to the number of frozen rows and columns.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is fixed as of 15.20, which was released in May (so if you haven’t updated, please do!)

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

older—————————————-

Hi all,

We know that this broke in 15.19.1, and we’ve got a fix that will be in 15.20.

Sorry for the inconvenience. It should be that once you scroll down, so that the duplicated rows are no longer shown, they won’t be shown again.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

17. Make VBA code designed in Excel 2013 (PC) compatable! Cannot run pivot chart code!

Make the code that is designed on the PC work on the Mac. Spent a lot of time developing a workbook with code to automate building pivit tables and pivit charts. The pivot table code works. The pivot chart code bombs and am unable to find alternate code!

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Quick access toolbar

The quick access toolbar is only really useful when it is bespoke. We need the ability to add or remove icons in this toolbar.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feb 26 – Even more good news – we’ve completed work on this feature and you can now add/remove commands from the QAT as of Mac Excel 15.19.1. Do note that the set of commands you can add/remove is still limited, but we’re working on enabling full customization, like in Windows Excel.

(older) Great news folks – we’ve started work on this feature.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

19. Give tree map on Mac excel

Give new maps in excel on Mac application. this is unfair.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news. The Tree Map chart is available in Excel for Mac v16. There are still some finishing touches to come in the coming months. Some formatting options are not yet available, but you can do the basics now.

Steve K [MS Excel]

20. Bring back all the macro features lost in 2011 and 2016

With 2011 and especially 2016 many of the vital functions in VBA recording and editing were lost making the writing of VBA macros impossible. User forms, debugging and relative referencing were three such features lost.

I used VBA to add features not available in Excel. As a transcriber of old church records I enter a lot of pre 1900 dates. These must be in a special dd mmm yyyy format which used to be checked by macro. I also check other fields for CAPITALISATION and Proper Case. None of this is now possible.

The advanced issue of a new version…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Beginning with the release of version 16.x in early 2018, we have aligned the VBA capabilities of Excel on Mac and Windows to a much greater extent than in the past. Hopefully this has addressed all the needs of this suggestion.

If there are specific issues that are not addressed, please update to the current version of Excel by going to Help > Check for Updates. If the issue persists, then please send feedback using the Send-a-frown button in the top corner of the app.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base