Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable Axis Format For New Chart Types in the Excel 2016 for Mac 16.9 Release

In Excel 2016 for Mac, new chart types were introduced, including Histogram, Tree Map, Sunburst and Box and Whisker. When attempting to format the X & Y Axes, either the Format box appeared with no parameters, or no Format box shows at all. This is critical, core functionality and is needed ASAP, for example a 16.10 update. With my specific case, /i was trying to adjust Bin parameters on a Histogram, and the Format Axis box never appeared.

88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

22 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi All – We are working to add the formatting capabilities for the new chart types. We’re hoping to release the update for this in June 2018.

We recognize there are currently some limitations with how you can use the chart types that have only recently been available in Excel for Mac, especially Histogram, and we are working hard to complete these.

2. Trend line to cell

Function that references a chart and gives trendline parameters.

82 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Horizontal scroll is not working.

When I import a text file and want to select all of the columns as text the horizontal scroll feature does not work and I can only change what ever I can see in the window to text. I use the feature on a weekly basis. This makes excel 2016 unusable for me on a Mc.

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

By setting your scroll bars to be always shown in your MacOS general settings, you are able to scroll horizontally in the text import wizard.

We will prioritize this issue accordingly with other issues based on the votes and interest that we see here.

Steve K [MS Excel]

4. Bring back pivot table wizard

Why did this go away in excel 2016 on Mac? Bring it back I need it bad

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide way to avoid automagical field value reformatting when opening CSV files

Theis is related to the leading zeroes one, but it is at least as bothersome that it tries to format as an excel data anything that looks like a date -- including values that are not dates. And the date formatting means you can't use Excel to open a CSV with dates, edit it, and re-save it without completely changing the way dates are formatted.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all the votes and comments for this suggestion. We are considering improvements to how Excel deals with reformatting (or not) as data is imported and entered from CSV and other sources. Your comments are very helpful.

Steve K [MS Excel]

6. Bring back the "option-click" shortcut to insert column(s), row(s), or cell(s).

Please reinstate the option+click shortcut or at least a way to customize for it. It makes my work much easier and is the only reason I've yet to upgrade. Thanks a lot!

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bring filtering charts to Excel for Mac

Bring filtering charts to Excel for Mac.

I read about this feature here: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2014/02/04/filtering-charts-in-excel/

But I couldn't find how to use them in Excel for Mac (16.12).
    I found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msomac-mso_mac2016/chart-filter/e5e49410-6ffc-499f-bdeb-e6f8a151bd4c which claims they are not supported. This would be a useful feature to bring Excel for Mac closer to Excel for Windows.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Insert photos into comment box!!!

Not sure why this option isn't available, completely leaving your customer base out to hang with a feature I used when I had PC...

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability To Change Shape and Picture Names

From what I can tell, it is impossible to change the reference name of a created Shape or a pasted-in picture. It appears you can only rename cell ranges....which seems very odd to me.

Thanks for taking this into consideration!

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in the next round of features. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

10. Support Internet Query Connection (.iqy files)

It would be helpful for Excel to Mac to support internet query connections.

When exporting a list from Sharepoint, the .iqy file is downloaded, which I subsequently can't open in Excel for Mac.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add the ability to export high quality graphs like vector images.

Add the ability to export high quality graphs like vector images and 300 dpi images. I'm running OSX 10.10.5 with Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011 Version 14.5.9. Options available in this software aren't good enough for high quality graphics.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We consider this in our next round of planning for a future release. In the meantime, please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

13. solver multiple range

Using Solver, you cannot select multiple ranges in the "By changing variable cells box. If you select a range, type "," and select another range, the first range is overwritten rather than appended as in the Windows version of Excel.

Version 16.12

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow Ribbon AUTOHIDING in Mac Excel

The idea is simple.

IF AUTOHIDE RIBBON is turned on,

THEN the Ribbon collapses into the TITLES OF THE RIBBON TABS automatically as your mouse moves off it. The Ribbon re-expands when your mouse hovers over the Title Tabs that the Ribbon collapsed into.

The whole key to this is to have NO DELAY between when you hover on it and the Ribbon Autoexpands, and NO DELAY when you hover off it and the Ribbon Autocollapses.

Please Don't even put in a 0.1ms delay for aesthetics. Default to 0.00ms delay, so that it SNAPS OPEN AND CLOSED. If you want…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Macro buttons and other controls on Chart sheets

In Excel Windows versions it is possible to place macro buttons and other controls also on chart sheets - an awesome toolset to create dynamic charts where content can be altered by user.
    Why is this feature not available on Mac?
    Add control does not respond on chart sheets. Even worse - charts with controls created in windows versions lose all this content when opened on Mac!

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Import CSV with multi-line text cells

Importing of CSV files which contain multi-line values (line breaks in the text cells) is not possible using the "File" - "Import" wizard. It is however possible if all options (field delimiter and text qualifier) match the system's defaults to import such files by double clicking the CSV. Please fix the Import wizard to allow multi-line text while customising the delimiters.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. For charts link a color to a series name so that we don't have to worry about changing its colour anymore.

I've been waiting for this for ages. Why is the color scheme linked to a given order of series? We need to set once and for all a series name to set colour.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the further details and example. We’ll definitely consider this in the context of our future planning. Please continue to vote on this idea.

Thanks,
    Scott {MSFT]

18. Option to change the highlight of the active cell

Please give an option to change the colour of the highlight of the active cell. This green is not visible enough.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Have Excel - and other Office programs - follow current OS X standards for menus and title bars

In your info page for Office, you say:

"Unmistakably Office, designed for Mac … combining the familiarity of Office and the unique Mac features you love."

But Office 2016 seems just like Office 2011 by not updating some menu and title bar features to reflect current OS X standards. It took me a while to get used to these, but now that I have it's frustrating to expect them and find them missing. Two big ones:

• Save/Duplicate/Save As… Shift-Cmd-S is now supposed to be "Duplicate" by default in OS X, not Save As. Instead, the Option key is used to…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, comments and votes for following OS X standards for menus and title bars. Some aspects mentioned here have been addressed, such as switching windows within Excel by pressing CMD+` (key that has ~ on it). We will continue to monitor votes and comments to prioritize accordingly with other suggestions here.

Steve K [MS Excel]

20. 28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base