Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Introduce "Offline Mode" to Reduce Latency and Improve Performance

Please create an "Offline Mode" feature for Office 365 to reduce overhead and improve performance when network connections are not required for one's basic Office app use.

While using Excel (Office 365 for Mac) there is too much latency in the most simple tasks. Additionally, the application(s) attempt to make multiple network connections to various sites for subscription, sharepoint, and other apps connectivity. All of these actions reduce performance and create an overhead which impacts the users' experience (one only needs to google the feedback to date on the latest Office for Mac issues). Additionally, there are times when traveling…

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This suggestion is from quite a while ago and we’ve had lots of updates since then. Please comment whether this is still an issue or let us know that it’s gotten better. We’ll keep this open and monitor for votes and comments.

Steve K [MS Excel]

2. Fix the problem where the entire program runs so slowly it's unusable.

This program is excruciatingly slow. Every small function such as copy and paste takes minutes. I don't see how Microsoft Excel has any market share given how painfully slow it is. I've been an Excel user for years, but I'm strongly considering changing. Worst program ever.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix ridiculous editing bugs in Excel 2016

Excel 2016 Mac is a mess.

Besides the ugly cartoon-like interface of all of Office 2016 (which obviously nothing can be done about now), it has some serious bugs. (Oh, and thanks for messing up so many of the keyboard shortcuts I learned for 2011).

Select all: Command-A doesn't work if there is an embedded picture/image in the worksheet. Instead, it invokes some kind of 'picture format' toolbar (or ruler - whatever...) item.

Edit in cell: completely unreliable to try and select contents of cell for editing (either in whole or in part. Sometimes in works, sometimes it doesn't. I've…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Slow Excel input on Mac, Thoughts

I have had the problem and see many other also experience super slow input in Excel on certain worksheets. I have been "unfreezing" newly opened Excel spreadsheets and since then have had no issues with waiting forever for the input to populate the cell. Since then I have saved spreadsheets at work, and made sure the cells were not "froze" and saved to the Cloud. I come home to and open it on my Mac and BANG - the cells open frozen and = super slow performance. Why does it do that? Open sheets with cell's unfrozen please.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Saving file after crash and no internet connection

After Excel for Mac crashes while the computer is not on an internet connection, it fails to verify that the software is authenticated and thus disables the 'save' function. This has been very problematic especially in areas without internet connection/ during exams!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Excessive use of memory even for simple operations

I have tried to isolate the issue, but I couldn't find one exact scenario that I can link to this problem: Excel starts using memory at galloping speed when doing simple operations such as remove or insert a row.

I am using a 2017 MacBook Pro 13, Macos High Sierra and I have the latest Office 2016 updates. I did a fresh install.

I suspected the conditional formatting is an issue (which it is another problem because you cannot format fonts on Mac). I removed all formatting, yet I have the same problem. It seems that Excel is using the…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Read embedded PDFs

Unlike Excel for Windows, Excel for Mac can’t read embedded PDFs. When trying to open them, it says “Cannot start the source application for this object. There may not be enough memory available”, which is totally misleading, because the problem is that Excel for Mac doesn’t have this functionality. Please, give us a solution!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Oh how I miss the F4 repeat function from Windows Excel!!!

Oh how I miss the F4 repeat function from Windows Excel!!! Ctrl Y works sometimes, then it doesn't - drives me nuts.....

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Excel 15.16 crashes each time I want to save

I updated to 15.16 this morning, and now I can't work any more; Excel 15.16 crashes each time I want to save. Me too, I'm back to excel 2011, so frustrating.......

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Be more forthcoming about the lack of parity with the Windows product in your online advertising

When I visited the Microsoft website trying to decide whether to update from an 11 year old application suite (Office 2008 for Mac), learn to use Apple's own suite of applications for the Mac (Numbers and Pages—I'm already competent in Keynote and have abandoned PowerPoint), I read things that intimate that Mac users are "getting some things first"; e.g., in Office 2019. It's not clear what we're getting other than a new moniker.
    It's certainly clear in my first day or two of my 30 day trial that much has changed, but when I try to delve a bit deeper…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Improve Excel for Mac performance

Please improve Excel performance. I have Microsoft for Windows opened in a virtual machine alongside Excel for Mac. And despite limited resources Excel for Windows performs MUCH better.
    For example when I put any value in a cell and hit enter and do it multiple times in a row then I experience a noticeable lag. There's no lag when I use the Windows version for the same file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Double clicking a cell with a formula to view the cells in use

When I double click a cell with a formula in it in order to view which cells i've use in the formula, there is major lag in the highlighting of these cells if you must scroll horizontally to view them. I scroll several columns out of view to see the cells in use and I have to wait for SECONDS before the highlights appear. If you scroll around at all after the highlights appear, they disappear. This is extremely frustrating and wasn't a problem in the old version. This was instantaneous. Please let me know if this is a setting…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel 16.16 for Mac OSX High Sierra Crashing after opening

The update for Mac Excel v 16.16 issued 6/2818 is a disaster. All my Excel spreadsheets open then crash. I have no access to budgets or client worksheets. This is a major extremely serious issue that's affecting all accounting and other businesses. Microsoft has crashed all Mac OSX systems running this update. On the latest crash, I get a note to turn off sounds for Excel when you hit "save?" Who in the world is designing these updates, certainly not Mac oriented people. Please take the Microsoft brainwashed programmers of Mac Office. You are killing us. Fix this ASAP! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. ADDING Individual cells

Office 2016 has ONCE AGAIN changed a 1-step process into a 2-step process.

BEFORE: If I wanted to add 4 individual cells ... I would click "=" and then click on each individual cell I was adding ... and then hit "enter" to get the total.

NOW: I have to hit the EXTRA KEY "+" before each of the 4 cells I select.

This is just another BACKWARD FEATURE of 2016 that was not required in previous versions.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. How about making it work with without crashing!

Every time I finish, I get a crash message saying it closed unexpectedly. The product should be way mature beyond this nonsense.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, fix your problem with MAC Excel's ability to open https hyperlinks!!!!

I swear if I read "cannot open the internet server or proxy server" ONE MORE TIME I WILL THROW THIS COMPUTER THROUGH THE WINDOW. The addresses have been verified by a third party certifier. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SOMETHING SO SIMPLE CONTINUES TO BE A PROBLEM!!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow the manual vs. automatic recalculation option at the workbook level

Sometimes I work with huge workbooks and sometimes I don't. I would like recalc to happen automatically in small workbooks and manually when working on the larger ones. It's annoying to toggle between those options. I would prefer that the option was set at the workbook level, so when I open that huge workbook it is already set to "Manual".

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Moving from one cell to the other to copy/paste takes WAY TOO LONG.

Improvement suggestion: get rid of whatever is causing the slowdown/bloat! Here's a screencast of me doing a normal routine: https://youtu.be/PHl88O2ym-c

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix, remove, or allow users to disable the multicore implementation

Recently the Excel team has introduced an unfortunate attempt at multi-core processing that has rendered the product unusable for some customers. Please either roll this back, fix it, or simply allow users to disable the functionality!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base