Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 189 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

20 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow for personalised data labels in XY scatter plots

In Excel 2016 for Mac there is no way to (easily) insert personalised labels to an XY scatter plot (like in the 2013 version for Windows, for instance...). In the Windows version (which I know best) there was the possibility to choose values for the labels that were not part of the XY plot itself but that option does not exist for the (2016) Mac version I can modify a few labels manually but with hundreds of point it is very complicated...
    I believe this feature is of utmost relevance!!

170 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all the support and comments for this suggestion. We will continue to monitor this and prioritize it along with all the other suggestions. We’ve been working to make Excel more consistent between Mac and Windows, as can be seen by the updates over the past several months, which have satisfied several thousand votes on this forum (multi-thread calculation, PivotCharts, modern chart types, new functions, slicers for tables). We are listening to the suggestions, comments and votes, and we will continue to make improvements.

Steve K [MS Excel]

3. Make available the forecast tool since that is needed for several statistical analysis

The forecast tool is fully available in the Windows version. Its absence actually limits various processes that are so important from financial and statistical point of view. Please look into this and try including it in the future.

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Improve Graph Drawing Performance

When scrolling (e.g. with mousewheel) and a graph that was previously outside the view area moves into the view area there is a significant delay before the graph is drawn (1+ sec). If there are several graphs there is an even worse delay.

The workbook is not complex and the same spreadsheet in Excel (for Mac) 2008 did not suffer such delays i.e. nothing to do with the volume of data or the spreadsheet - something to do with Excel 2016.

I've not tried different styles or types of graph, mine are just simple line plots based in data in…

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable Axis Format For New Chart Types in the Excel 2016 for Mac 16.9 Release

In Excel 2016 for Mac, new chart types were introduced, including Histogram, Tree Map, Sunburst and Box and Whisker. When attempting to format the X & Y Axes, either the Format box appeared with no parameters, or no Format box shows at all. This is critical, core functionality and is needed ASAP, for example a 16.10 update. With my specific case, /i was trying to adjust Bin parameters on a Histogram, and the Format Axis box never appeared.

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi All – We are working to add the formatting capabilities for the new chart types. We’re hoping to release the update for this in June 2018.

We recognize there are currently some limitations with how you can use the chart types that have only recently been available in Excel for Mac, especially Histogram, and we are working hard to complete these.

6. Trend line to cell

Function that references a chart and gives trendline parameters.

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Custom Data Labels for Scatter and Bubble graphs

Can you include the ability to apply custom data labels to scatter and bubble graphs, specifically the Label Option of "Value from Cells" that the Windows version has had since Excel 2013.

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

55 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bring filtering charts to Excel for Mac

Bring filtering charts to Excel for Mac.

I read about this feature here: https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2014/02/04/filtering-charts-in-excel/

But I couldn't find how to use them in Excel for Mac (16.12).
    I found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac-mso_mac2016/chart-filter/e5e49410-6ffc-499f-bdeb-e6f8a151bd4c which claims they are not supported. This would be a useful feature to bring Excel for Mac closer to Excel for Windows.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. F11 shortcut for charts

Cannot understand why this shortcut is not included.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Support SQL parameter queries

Parameter Query support is broken. Almost all our queries are parameter queries.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add the ability to export high quality graphs like vector images.

Add the ability to export high quality graphs like vector images and 300 dpi images. I'm running OSX 10.10.5 with Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011 Version 14.5.9. Options available in this software aren't good enough for high quality graphics.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We consider this in our next round of planning for a future release. In the meantime, please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

12. Macro buttons and other controls on Chart sheets

In Excel Windows versions it is possible to place macro buttons and other controls also on chart sheets - an awesome toolset to create dynamic charts where content can be altered by user.
    Why is this feature not available on Mac?
    Add control does not respond on chart sheets. Even worse - charts with controls created in windows versions lose all this content when opened on Mac!

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. For charts link a color to a series name so that we don't have to worry about changing its colour anymore.

I've been waiting for this for ages. Why is the color scheme linked to a given order of series? We need to set once and for all a series name to set colour.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the further details and example. We’ll definitely consider this in the context of our future planning. Please continue to vote on this idea.

Thanks,
    Scott {MSFT]

14. Solve the problem of poor Cross-platform

Excel online, Excel 365 for Mac, Excel 365 for Windows - different products. If I made a file on windows - it will not work on the Mac either.
    Excel 365 for Mac does not have charts from Excel 365 for Windows. If I create a file in the Pro version, then it does not work in the home version. This is bad! The file is everywhere different! I can not be sure that my project looks equally good everywhere.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Improve the Help

I am a former PC user now with the Mac version. Some of the graphics functions I have been doing for years on the PC (e.g., plot data on two vertical scales, put a title on the vertical scale), I cannot find on the Mac version. Surely there is a way. HELP in Excel in the Mac is NO HELP. (True also for WORD--HELP is NO HELP).

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Improve graph performance with plots containing >1000 datapoints in Excel 2016

Excel 2016 chokes when handling plots containing many data points. Copying these plots from Excel to Word or Powerpoint causes issues in those applications as well.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow for full-functioning charts to be built from pivot tables

This used to be a feature on past versions of excel, where you could select data in a pivot table and create a chart from it that is fully customizable. Now, if you create a chart from a pivot table set of data, the "chart design" tab does not show and it limits the abilities to customize the chart effectively.

Can we get this back, please?

Original issue is here, along with specifics https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac-mso_mac2016/chart-design-tab-is-now-missing-on-excel-for-mac/919fea2d-b7b9-4a42-aa1e-25b0550ccbc4?messageId=4c949783-8231-4fc8-b868-e4fdee27ba76

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Keep graph format the same when scrolling to other data

When I scroll down to a next set of data to produce line graphs for several items, the format of lines and markers changes, which I do not want (the idea is to produce multiple graphs with identical formats). I can overcome this by copying the graph- paste special-format (onto this graph) before I start scrolling, but I have to do this again each time I re-open the excel file. Very annoying.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. "What If" Question Environment for Business & Finance (like Quantrix, but better)

The idea is simple:

If I paste in a financial, excel 'knows' what it is automacally ie) Balance Sheet, and opens up a submenu that will enable me, should I click there, to ask WHAT IF questions of the statement. The answers will be posted to a new sheet, which is the output environment for the identified financial.

Quantrix has allowed you to do this since inception, but Quantrix does not make it seem 'plug & play simple.' So this is a MAJOR opportunity for Excel to make those features intuitive and easy to use, while being just as rich.…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. power view and power maps for MacBook

Why isn't power view and powermaps as a add in for Mac available?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base