Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Find all in the Mac app

IN the windows version you can click on the button find all when you are in a search box. This then shows you all cells which contain your search criteria in a list. Please add this feature to the Mac app, too!

199 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

58 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

59 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone – we continue to work on performance improvements in this area and other areas of Excel. It’s a gradual process, so there have been some improvements already, and we will have more to come.

Steve K [MS Excel]

3. Support multi-row worksheet tabs, or vertical tabs (some way to see more sheet tabs at a time)

The workbooks I work with often have 10+ tabs. This makes it very hard to navigate as you don't get a good overview.

Why not introduce a feature in which the tab list can be viewed in a vertical mode, either to the right or the left side of the actual spreadsheet? This would make navigation much easier.

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] - recategorized and clarified idea title)

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and the votes about ways to make it easier to work with sheet tabs. We will continue to monitor the suggestion and prioritize it accordingly.

Currently, you can CTRL+Click or right-click on the sheet navigation buttons to the left of the sheet tabs to see the complete list of sheets, which can help you quickly find and navigate to a desired sheet.

Steve K [MS Excel]

4. Horizontal scroll is not working.

When I import a text file and want to select all of the columns as text the horizontal scroll feature does not work and I can only change what ever I can see in the window to text. I use the feature on a weekly basis. This makes excel 2016 unusable for me on a Mc.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

By setting your scroll bars to be always shown in your MacOS general settings, you are able to scroll horizontally in the text import wizard.

We will prioritize this issue accordingly with other issues based on the votes and interest that we see here.

Steve K [MS Excel]

5. Allow Ribbon AUTOHIDING in Mac Excel

The idea is simple.

IF AUTOHIDE RIBBON is turned on,

THEN the Ribbon collapses into the TITLES OF THE RIBBON TABS automatically as your mouse moves off it. The Ribbon re-expands when your mouse hovers over the Title Tabs that the Ribbon collapsed into.

The whole key to this is to have NO DELAY between when you hover on it and the Ribbon Autoexpands, and NO DELAY when you hover off it and the Ribbon Autocollapses.

Please Don't even put in a 0.1ms delay for aesthetics. Default to 0.00ms delay, so that it SNAPS OPEN AND CLOSED. If you want…

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Option to change the highlight of the active cell

Please give an option to change the colour of the highlight of the active cell. This green is not visible enough.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Excel for Mac v15.23 scrolling still broken

Just updated to v15.23 for Excel on Mac today hoping to see scrolling fixes, but nothing seems to have changed. When scrolling up in Page Layout view, the entire page above blanks out for several seconds before filling in the data on the page. Other Mac apps handle scrolling just fine and seamlessly show pages in real time as they are scrolled up/down. Excel on Mac still seems to not understand scrolling and showing data scrolling at same time!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow users to define Programmable Hotkeys for any Simple or Advanced Functions!

You don't need to break Excel's hotkeys to do this! You can keep your shortcut key TOTALLY INTACT!

Here's how you do it: Give us programmable hotkeys, for example Option 1 - 9 Can be user-programmable hotkeys.

For any given user, there are 10 involved tasked that they most commonly perform, for which there are no hotkeys.

For example, for a user they might be:

1) Drawing a box around a cell

2) Converting a Number to a Percent

3) Creating a line graph specifically out of two columns (which normally requires 2-3 clicks - the hotkey will enable the…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Font/Zoom size difference between Mac and PC

Different Font/Cell sizes between PC and Mac are driving me crazy.
    In order to view Excel sheets created on a PC in an appropriate size I always have to set the zoom value to 130% on my Mac. When I send these sheets back the PC guys they are annoyed because they have to change the zoom back to 100%
    I know this is an oooold "problem" between Mac and PC and the 72 dpi / 96 dpi difference but please there is no reason to finally get this sorted out.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Keep the Count of the Rows and Columns involved ALWAYS on hand

Example:

If I want to sum 300 rows, I write: =Sum(M30:M330), I often can't remember the COUNT. Have I just summed 300 rows in that equation, or have I summed 301 rows? You see!? I WASTE A LOT OF TIME double checking that the area selected by my formulas selected the number of rows I intended or 1 row too much/too few.

It's hard to figure this out! It shouldn't be.

When I'm double clicked on the cell with a sum function, for example, highlighting a range of (M30:M330) within the function, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO SCROLL OVER TO…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. "Night" version

Make a setting that turns cells a dark/black color and the lines white. Twitter has a setting like this, where your timeline turns dark blue and the words turn white.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Since the cells are formatted for what they will look like when printed, the default is to have white background with black text. You can make your own worksheets “Night” theme by selecting the entire sheet and then setting the background of the cells to a dark color, the font to a light color, and the cell borders to a light color. You could also apply a small dark image as the background image, which will be tiled across the entire sheet.

It would be great to hear how you think Excel should handle a Night mode for the sheet automatically. For example, if the sheet has content that is in a wide range of colors, should they automatically be adjusted to be easily visible with a dark background, even if that’s not how the author wants them to show up in the light mode?

12. Weird issue on latest Fast Track version of Excel for Mac 2016

I am running MacOS 1013 High Sierra, Developer Beta 9 and the latest Fast Track version has about the weirdest problem. If the workbook is an xlsx format then the sheet is reversed (as in you would have to look at it in a mirror to read it), plus upside down. If I save-as that workbook to an xls and reopen it, it looks fine. More information... I also have the same version on a Sierra, 10.12 machine and all is fine, with either workbook format. I captured a screenshot to be sure that you understand what I am seeing.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. A way to lock a Worksheet tab so that tab stay's visible at the left side of the tabbar all the time

A way to lock a Worksheet tab so that tab stay's visible at the left side of the tabbar all the time.
    If we have 10+ tabs, and we want go quickly switch to an important tab, like a total Worksheet or TOC tab, it would be welcome to have an tab that is fixed in place on the left side of the tabbar, that will not moved away when we are on a tab far on the right.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow users to configure the active cell. It's so hard to find the active cell e.g., performing control+f and finding the cell referred to.

Allow users to configure the active cell. It's so hard to find the active cell e.g., performing control+f and then finding the cell referred to. Allow us to highlight the active ell, or change the outline color / weight of the line. The green color provided does not "pop" at all.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Fix Cell Navigation in 15.17

Since the 15.17 update, there is now a noticeable delay when moving between cells using the arrow keys and sometime the cursor does not respond at all to the key press. Please fix (it was fine in 15.16).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Put Scroll Bars back

Put scroll bars (horizontal and vertical) back. Or at least put the slider back - the scroll bars are actually there but without any slider are totally unusable (took me a long time to even notice that the white bar was actually a scroll bar without any slider!

It's a nightmare trying to work without scroll bars and this feature needs to be put back really urgently.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Validation drop down with freeze panes issue

There is a little glitch when using a table column with validation from a drop down list combined with a freeze pane (see attached for an example). This is in Office 2016 for Mac OS.

The drop down arrow is not visible if the table is scrolled off to the right. Here is what I see....

1. Create a table with multiple columns
    2. Add validation to the first column to choose from a list, in a drop down
    3. Freeze panes at the first row of the second column, so that the table headings and the first column are…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make zoom scale consistently

I reported in Microsoft Answers that the scaling is inconsistent in Excel 2016. It worked fine in 2011. There are many examples of this, but a few are listed in the post. The MS Rep says this is the new normal.

This should be fixed so Excel developers have control over what the end user sees, no matter what zoom level they choose.

Here's my post:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac/zoom-scales-inconsistently-in-excel-2016-for-mac/47da0534-acb3-4741-ba3f-add3d5af7153

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Excel needs to better highlight the row and column identifiers.

Excel 2016 needs to better highlight row and column identifiers. The current highlighting is in very, very light grey with green underline for the row and column numbers. It lacks any real contrast, which goes directly to function and utility of Excel. In the end, it significantly limits the Excel's usability and makes me consider competing products.

In contrast, Excel 2007 highlights the row and column identifier in yellow-orange. That is much better and something I'd like MSFT to emulate. At the very least, please provide an Excel 2007 Office Theme.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac/excel-office-2016-for-mac-highlighting-row-and/0efa8f65-f148-4c00-beb7-67515a5d2a92

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Turn off partial column scrolling (bring back snap to grid scrolling)

In previous versions of Excel, moving the sheet around in the window was done column by column, or row by row. With a MacBook Pro touchpad, I can move the sheet with two fingers, but instead of moving cell by cell, I keep losing half of a cell off the left side of the window. Drives me crazy.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base