Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring back the "option-click" shortcut to insert column(s), row(s), or cell(s).

Please reinstate the option+click shortcut or at least a way to customize for it. It makes my work much easier and is the only reason I've yet to upgrade. Thanks a lot!

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

28 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add ribbon buttons and keyboard shortcuts for superscript and subsript

Why is it so much harder to make text superscript or subscript in Excel, both for mac and windows?

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. After upgrade to Office 365, "cut and paste" does not work correctly.

In Excel 2011, if I cut or copied a cell to Clipboard and then inserted a row, I could paste the item in Clipboard into a new cell. With Office 365, if I cut or copy a cell and then do anything such as inserting a row, the Clipboard is erased. This is such a fundamental action in Excel - cutting and pasting - that the "improvement" should be undone. I'd like to know when this fix is accomplished. Thank you.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bring back custom keyboard shortcuts

In this answer to "Bring back custom keyboard shortcuts" https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac?query=Bring%20back%20custom%20keyboard%20shortcuts the MS team states I can find the customization option under Tools > Customize Keyboard and links to this article to show how: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-custom-keyboard-shortcut-for-office-for-mac-6bbeb90e-96d9-4e03-b199-fc026ebdc321?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

This is NOT the case. There is no option for Customize Keyboard in the Tools menu in Excel 2016 for MAC. You guys blew it when you removed the ability of a user to create a custom key combo to complete a command.

For example I always used the F1 key to delete cells and rows, which I do a lot. I used Option+click to add…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow me to turn off the feature that leaves copied cell highlighted after pasting.

Allow me to turn off the feature that leaves copied cells highlighted after pasting. I'm sure it's helpful to some people, but for a lot of us it's annoying. Please provide a way to turn it off.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bring back the clipboard in version 2016 for mac

Bring back the clipboard. It makes copying and pasting so much easier.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Touchbar "edit cell contents" shortcut

Please put a "edit cell contents" touchbar button roughly where F2 used to be. Would save me hours. Much more useful than the current "Paste" button.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Revert the ungodly change to make the first key press open a cell instead of type into it

Why did Excel 15.22 change to make the first key press open a cell instead of immediately typing into it? That hasn’t changed that since the 90s and is makes Excel incredibly frustrating to use.

This behavior ONLY occurs on the Mac version and NOT the Windows version.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Revert the Stupid Automatic Small text->Normal Text in formula bar

New'ish functionality in the formula bar where text is shown small until the bar is clicked on (to edit the text) when the text suddenly jumps to be normal sized text. Drives me mad as you position the mouse cursor to the point you wish to edit, click and suddenly the text jumps in size and the cursor is at the wrong point!!! Daft functionality that, is some want should be a preference setting. Drives me mad as have to position the cursor and click twice to exit existing text.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Right Click mini tool bar missing

Excel for Windows has a great feature of a mini tool bar when right clicking on a cell. This feature is missing from the Mac version.
    Please add this to future releases.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow edit mode in 'Change PivotTable date source' Location box

In Excel for windows, when changing the datasource location for pivot tables, you can use F2 to switch to edit mode and move the cursor around the location box to type the datasource location.

There doesn't appear to be an equivalent edit mode for this dialog box (and presumably others where F2 works in windows Excel) on Excel for Mac.

This is infuriating - it is often much quicker just to amend the data source location by typing rather than selecting cells. The only solution I've found is to highlight all the text in the location box, paste it to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow Users to Edit Ranges

This function has existed in Excel for PC since 2007. Why doesn't it exist for Excel for Mac?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Excel for Mac | Spell Check for different languages

Make spell check for Excel 2016 work with different languages.

Spell checker works in other Office Apps (Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, etc.) but not Excel as it only detects English language in Mac OS Mojave.

Coordinated with Mac Support for possible compatibility issue but they directed the case back to Office 365.

*tried all troubleshooting steps from this link but still not working
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2016-macexcel/office-365-2016-mac-excel-spell-check-not-working/a04d5533-5ea5-4d7b-ba33-b044dd5a066e?page=3

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. make a button for making lower case letters into uppercase letters

make a button for making lower case letters into uppercase letters

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Include disable function for Excel 2016 (Mac) 'feature' where a copy cell border continues to 'move' like ants. It is very annoying.

Include a disable function for Excel 2016 (Mac) 'feature' where a copied cell border continues to 'move' like ants. This 'feature' is very annoying.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Bring back keyboard shortcut for align right!

Am I missing something or are we no longer able to align right a group of cells using command+R? Looking at the list of shortcuts provided by Microsoft, "align right" is not there. This is very basic excel functionality. How could it have been removed??

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Find & Replace - Look In Dropdown Missing

Please bring the Find & Replace Windows Functionality to the Mac version. You can't Find & Replace items in Formulas.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. SImple way to toggle OSX Excel keyboard shortcuts so that they mimic those in Excel Windows

Add a simple Excel option toggle that allows OSX users to mimic keyboard shortcuts from Window (F2 = edit, Ctrl+z = undo etc etc).

Many users tend to user windows Excel in a corporate environment and find it frustrating that their hard learned shortcuts don't work on OSX. Needs to be a simple way to turn on and off (c.f. the Lotus 123 navigation compatibility switch in advanced settings on Windows Excel)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Remove "Copy of" to Save as in version 16.17

In Excel version 16.17, when you click on "Save as" it adds "Copy of" to the filename. In all previous versions, it never did this. Please remove the "Copy of" in the next release of Excel for MAC.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base