Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide way to avoid automagical field value reformatting when opening CSV files

Theis is related to the leading zeroes one, but it is at least as bothersome that it tries to format as an excel data anything that looks like a date -- including values that are not dates. And the date formatting means you can't use Excel to open a CSV with dates, edit it, and re-save it without completely changing the way dates are formatted.

55 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all the votes and comments for this suggestion. We are considering improvements to how Excel deals with reformatting (or not) as data is imported and entered from CSV and other sources. Your comments are very helpful.

Steve K [MS Excel]

2. Save as: Windows Comma Separated (.csv) - Missing in new version of Excel

With the new update of Excel for Mac (ver.15 -> ver.16) we lost the ability to Save as: Windows Comma Separated (.csv)

It also lost the ability to read these files with foreign characters (my case Swedish). I have my system in English and Excel in English, but I do work with .csv files in Swedish from time to time.

Now I needed to downgrade my system to 15.32, and can't keep my Office 365 suit up to date before I know that this works again.

(Attached are a screenshot of the "Save as" option that we lost with the…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make VBA GetFileName work in Mac. It works fine in Windows.

There is no simple means of selecting a file name from a VBA macro on the Mac platform. The only workaround devised (as far as I know) is incredibly clumsy and does not allow use of the GetFileName or ChDir routines.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Open Dialogue

The open dialogue starts by displaying location options - One Drive, SharePoint and OnMy Mac.

Two issues - yes they are minor but I find them really annoying:

1. For corporate security reasons, I store virtually nothing online - it is all on my Mac. This extra step is very annoying and adds an extra click to every open document I do. Please add a way to always go directly to the On My Mac dialogue for those who so choose. We can always then click on the Online Locations button if we really want to go to one of the…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 'Save as...' window is truncated so cannot actually hit the 'Save' button

'Save as...' window is truncated so cannot actually see/hit the 'Save' button. Can't scroll though the window so have to make the whole screen full size in order for the Save As window to resize to fit the page. Is this a bug that needs fixing (v 2011)?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. changing the number of recent files in Excel for Mac

Please add and match functionality to allow Mac Users to be able to change the number of recent files in Excel (and Word, too) from the preset of 10.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow Excel or Word to default to open at My Documents instead of always having to select On My Mac the my documents then Excel or Word.

Allow Excel or Word to default to open at My Documents instead of always having to select On My Mac the my documents then Excel or Word.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Format of data from database

When I open files exported from sql database, the numbers appear, but none can be used. Columns that need to be summed need to be converted to numbers ("Columns to text", then choosing finish, since converting cell by cell takes minutes) or columns to text, choosing text if it is a mixed column of numbers and text that need to be referenced.

Excel should be able to open them to work with them however, not just as general data that is neither text or value.

The text problem is related to the way vlookup works where it needs to either…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. FIX THE STINKING FILE PATH RESTRICTION OF 255 CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!

INCREASE OR ELIMINATE THE 255 CHARACTER LIMIT ON FILE PATHS.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Remove spurious CSV warning

Opening, via drag-and-drop or File > Open (but not File > Import) a just-downloaded CSV file produces the following warning in Excel (on a yellow background):

"Possible Data Loss: Some features might be lost if you save this workbook in the comma-delimited (.csv) format. To preserve these features, save it in an Excel file format."

I then have to click the 'x' to get rid of this warning...and that's really annoying, especially because it doesn't apply. I have just downloaded the CSV file from the net. It's a CSV file, unedited, and as such, it can't possibly contain any features…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Automatically Re-open Excel Files on Reboot or Login

Mac Excel doesn't support native Mac application behaviours such as Sudden Termination and User Interface Preservation.

In practice what this means, is that whenever you log off, reboot, or hard reboot, Excel will not open the files which you were previously editing, but will pop up an open file dialog (or worse, a popup stating that Excel was improperly shut down; and this popup consumes 100% cpu until Excel is clicked on).

Mac users are not usually subjected to these very Windows-like practices.

The usual Mac experience with shutting down, logging off, or re-booting, is that when you log on…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Remember last window size when reopening a file

When I reopen a saved excel file, it never opens with the same size as the last time I saved the file. You need to implement a feature that remembers the window size and location each time the file is saved. Then, the next time the file is opened, it will appear in the same size and location on your desktop.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Dropbox as an online source in the Office Apps

When opening new files, there is only the option for Onedrive. I would love to see Dropbox there just like the online versions of office and the Microsoft versions.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Remove Cap on File Path Length - We Shouldn't Have to Move Files to Save Them

A limit on the length of a file name is fine, but limiting the file path length means that if your life is complicated by folders within folders then you regularly have to move around folders just to save documents in Excel. This is very tedious and creates new possibilities for error while working.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Set default file opening location

Let the user set the default file location when launching Excel. The default is OneDrive, which I don't use, or On My Mac which is a slow way to where I want to go which is my Documents folder. Let me delete OneDrive, and go directly to the Documents folder where I store my data.

Excel for Mac used to work this way, but at some point that functionality was woefully changed. I'll never use OneDrive.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Right clicking the icon in the title bar should reveal the location of the file (Mac OS X standards...)

In any other Mac OS X app, when you right click the icon in the title bar, you get a drop down of where your file lives in your file system.

When you click the enclosing folder, it pops that up in the finder. SUPER handy when you are trying to figure out where you saved that file.

I have not found a way to do that in Office and it's SO frustrating when Microsoft ignores standards that Mac users expect.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Reopen windows previously open when Excel (or Word) is reopened

When Excel – and also Word – is reopened, it does not reopen the files that previously had been opened when Excel/Word was closed. This is a VERY useful feature that recent versions of MAC OS, and MS Office, supported. PLEASE bring this feature back to Excel and Word, and PowerPoint as well.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Bring Back Save Workspace

In prior version one had the ability to open & arrange several windows, then save the arrangement as a "workspace" [.xlw] file. In Excel 2011 the feature was renamed as Save Layout, but is yet another useful capability which has been ripped out in the 2016 release for Mac [I believe the Windows version retains the feature.]

Please restore that functionality.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow the user to clear all unpinned documents from the start-up window

This applies to all the programs in Office 2016 for Mac. Unlike the previous versions from 2011, in the newer and "improved" applications it is no longer possible to clean unpinned documents from the list that shows when Excel/Word/PowerPoint is launched. It's also impossible to clear the recent documents that show under File > Open Recent. This clearly reflects Microsoft's new and disrespectful stance on the privacy of their customers.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Use of “Save As” Command Crashes Excel

I have Excel 2016 for Mac (Office 365) and I find that whenever I open an existing worksheet, edit it, and try to save it under a new name using Excel’s “Save As” command, Excel freezes and I always have to close it using the macOS “Force Quit” command.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base