Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring back a fully functional VBE (Visual Basic Editor for VBA)

Please bring back the full editor capability of VBE to Mac Excel 2016, like we had in Mac Excel 2011. As it is, the "slimmed down" editing experience of VBA is more like a notepad experience than anything - making it basically impossible to
    * edit VBA from scratch,
    * get syntax highlighting
    * see a watch window
    * etc.

(Note: this title and description updated by Dan [MS] on 10/19/2015)

854 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

262 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi All – The Visual Basic Editor was greatly improved in an update several months ago. If you don’t have the latest version of Excel for Mac, please go to Help > Check for Updates and update to the latest version to check it out. Thanks for all your comments and support for this feature.

If you notice issues as you are using the latest VBE, please let us know by clicking the smiley-face feedback button near the top-right of the Excel window.

Steve K [MS Excel]

2. Bring back Relative References in Macro Recording

In Mac XL 2011 You had ability to create Macros that made use of Relative References in a addition to absolute references. In the Excel Mac 2016 Answers forum this is vitally important.

Any possibility of returning this to Excel Mac 2016

[10/22/2015 - Dan [MS]: Added image to show where this feature used to exist in older versions of Mac XL]

334 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

160 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix VBA recording issue

Something I came across - which I suspect has been documents elsewhere but I can't readily see it so here goes.

When recording a macro in excel for mac 2016 for some reason the action of opening a file does not get recorded. The recorder literally doesn't register that you have opened the file. (Its a very useful step to provide the full syntax for the file path of the relevant file).

However when you close the file - that step is recorded as ActiveWorkbook.Close.

It took me a while to work out that the syntax from 2011 to 2016…

81 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bring back all the macro features lost in 2011 and 2016

With 2011 and especially 2016 many of the vital functions in VBA recording and editing were lost making the writing of VBA macros impossible. User forms, debugging and relative referencing were three such features lost.

I used VBA to add features not available in Excel. As a transcriber of old church records I enter a lot of pre 1900 dates. These must be in a special dd mmm yyyy format which used to be checked by macro. I also check other fields for CAPITALISATION and Proper Case. None of this is now possible.

The advanced issue of a new version…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Beginning with the release of version 16.x in early 2018, we have aligned the VBA capabilities of Excel on Mac and Windows to a much greater extent than in the past. Hopefully this has addressed all the needs of this suggestion.

If there are specific issues that are not addressed, please update to the current version of Excel by going to Help > Check for Updates. If the issue persists, then please send feedback using the Send-a-frown button in the top corner of the app.

5. Fix Solver after update 15.19.1

After the update 15.19.1 the picking problem is fixed. But now solver don't work anymore. When you try to solve a problem nothing happens.
    Please fix this!!

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Several issues with Solver have been fixed since this suggestion was posted, so I am marking this post as completed. If specific issues are noticed, please post the details about what you are seeing. More detail is better, so that we can try to reproduce and investigate the issue.

Steve K [MS Excel]

6. Allow removeduplicates to be used in VBA

In windows, remove duplicates function can be used in VBA and is very effective. Currently, Mac doesn't support this function in VBA. Please add this to be used on Mac as well. Thank you.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news. In version 16.x, the RemoveDuplicates command works in VBA.

Here’s an example of the code:
    ActiveSheet.Range(“$a$1”).CurrentRegion.RemoveDuplicates Columns:=Array(1, 2), Header:=xlGuess

Steve K [MS Excel]

7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base