Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. solver multiple range

Using Solver, you cannot select multiple ranges in the "By changing variable cells box. If you select a range, type "," and select another range, the first range is overwritten rather than appended as in the Windows version of Excel.

Version 16.12

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cursor not properly positioned when editing directly inside cell

Another user posted this issue and it's been marked as "completed". Many of us are still having the same problem more than a year after the fix was rolled out. I am reposting it as an issue.

Original description: I found out that if you have longer texts (>20 chars) inside an Excel Cell and you try to edit them the more you get to the right of the text the more the cursor is drawn off to the left of the characters it is actually between. Cursor Position seems to be calculated wrong. I am using Standard Calibri Font.…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Correct the "Font Size Must Be Between 1 and 409" error that prevents using the ribbon control to alter the color of the borders.

Correct the "Font Size Must Be Between 1 and 409" error that prevents using the ribbon control to alter the color of the borders.
    Reset

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Excel crashes and cells cannot be edited with High Sierra

Dear Excel team, this has been posted already and has 74 comments on it, but you closed it. The reason you are not seeing crash reports is because we have to kill the app and this doesn't seem to generate a crash report.

Issue is as described by 4 pages of comments, please reopen. If not then I have created this as a new issue.

If you attempt to double click in the cell or click in the function bar, then Excel freezes, by keeping the cursor in the cell and removing keyboard entry. Menu's stop working as well, the…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. ISSUES in Excel MAC 2016

Hi I recently switched from excel 2011 to 2016. Using excel on mac seems like Microsoft purposefully left errors to serious excel users would have no option but to return to windows based computers. I am facing the following issues 1) black cross doesn't appear all the time so at times i am unable to drag or repeat data or formulas 2) when i click on a formula and it doesn't highlight all cells that formula is linked to 3) some times there is a lag, say i enter the numbers 100 into cell it, it takes sometimes very long…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Unresponsiveness in Excel for Mac

Using Excel for Mac (v16.9) on desktop from an Office 365 pkg (issues while working with local files - not online).

Sporadic issues:
    1. Can't select a cell using a mouse (periodically) - forced to navigate via keyboard arrows
    2. Selected cells (when copying) won't un-select even after saving or double clicking in another cell
    3. Drag and drop doesn't always work - sometimes due to lag times
    4. Lag times in responsiveness (overall)

I've read about these issues related to v15 and saw that they were reported as fixed in v15.20. Why am I still experiencing these issues? Could…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Open embedded pdf files in PPTX, XLSX & DOCX for Office 2011

PDF files embedded in PPTX, XLSX and (probably) DOCX documents using the Windows versions of Office cannot be opened by MAC versions of Office (specifically Office 2011).

Error message is given as: “Cannot start the source application for this object. There may not be enough memory available”. But it is actually a lack of functionality. Please add this functionality.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Fix the Basic bugs so many have complained about. Is the Office of the President aware of the Mac Business Unit's refusal to help?

There are an incredible number of basic bugs that Microsoft refuses to address. For instance, 90% of the time I delete data from a cell, I must scroll up and then down for the worksheet view to appear blank. That is, deleting data from a cell, does in fact delete the data but the grid view of the cell still looks as though the data has not been deleted. I'm fed up with these kinds of basic bugs. Excel 2016 for Mac was released almost 2 years ago. I will be contacting MSFT's Office the President to inform them of…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. EXTERNAL LINKs

PLEASE PLEASE, FIX THE EXTERNAL LINK ISSUE. I'M TRYING TO BREAK A LINK BUT THE ACTION IS NOT TAKEN EFFECT.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Fix copy & paste bug when Handoff (Universal Clipboard) is enabled

When Handoff is enabled (which also enables Universal Clipboard) and you are signed in to iCloud on your Mac and a nearby iPhone or iPad, Excel will freeze when you try to copy any cell. The spinning beachball will appear for 3-4 seconds and you can't do anything while this is happening. The bug also affects Word. This happens even on a Clean Installed system so it is not a 3rd party conflict.

I've posted more details and a video of this happening on the Microsoft Community Forums:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/copy-cmdc-causes-spinning-beach-ball-delay-for-3-4/36e2e400-59c7-471b-b7d6-b5d5082a545a

I've tried to report this bug but it seems impossible to…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. The Excel 16.9 for Mac update has caused serious cursor lag issues as well as a copy outline that doesn't go away.

The Excel 16.9 for Mac update has caused serious cursor lag issues and the marching ants outline when copying and pasting is now bolder and doesn't go away after completing the operation. It seriously slows down use of the application.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. add excel form on Mac

pls. add data entry form in excel in Mac asap.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel crashes when i use the formula searcher ("Search for a function")

With the Microsoft Office for Mac 20111 when i search for a Formula in the formula searcher ("Search for a function") where we right the name of the function to search it (in the "Formula Builder" interface) - after i put the first letter the excel crashes giving the message "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We Sorry for the inconvenience." and it restarts. It also produces a report and ask if i want to send it to Microsoft...
    Next i show you a green shoot of the error message and in the word file i…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. A way to disable "Some files can contain viruses or otherwise be harmful to your computer" each time I click on a linked file

If that notification could be disabled that would be great. I use excel a lot to keep a long list of powerpoints organized as we get them in med school and each one I click on I have to grant permissions for that file and then I also get the other pop-up about that it can contain viruses. I understand it's important to be there but I would really like a way to turn it off or a "do not ask me again"

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Fix the Insane Number of Bugs in Excel 2016

Excel 2016 has so many bugs I don't even know where to start. I encounter various forms of Scrolling Bugs about every 10 minutes. Others have identified these bugs so I don't need to repeat the specifics. How can a product be on the market for over a year have so many basic bugs? Excel 2011 never ever had this many bugs nor did Excel 2008.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. how about fixing the spinning beachball for 30-40 seconds whenever I start excel or word? What could it possibly be doing?

Office 2011 mac, yosemite, fully up to date. Whenever I start excel or word - they load up, the window is there but I can't do ANYTHING with the app for another 30-40 seconds. I have good internet, and updates turned off (I run manually), so is this just about making me think about getting a new version?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I can't always click on cells/tabs in excel when using on the mac. this happens fo about 1 minute every 5 minutes

I can't always click on cells/tabs in excel when using on the mac. this happens fo about 1 minute every 5 minutes

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Include Ribbon customizing for Macs - like you pretend is available when bought!!!!

In the online statement AND help, Microsoft states that ribbon customizing is available for Macs - BUT, IT IS NOT!!! a disservice to Mac users - include it or don't tell us its available!!!
    Found this out after HOURS with tech support!!!
    Would like to add curse words here!!!!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Need to fix the problem with https hyperlinks generating a "Cannot locate the Internet server or proxy server" message.

Need to fix the problem with https hyperlinks generating a "Cannot locate the Internet server or proxy server" message. This is unacceptable!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Tell me feature for Mac

I would like to see the Tell me Feature on office for Mac

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base