Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel 15.16 crashes each time I want to save

I updated to 15.16 this morning, and now I can't work any more; Excel 15.16 crashes each time I want to save. Me too, I'm back to excel 2011, so frustrating.......

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability To Change Shape and Picture Names

From what I can tell, it is impossible to change the reference name of a created Shape or a pasted-in picture. It appears you can only rename cell ranges....which seems very odd to me.

Thanks for taking this into consideration!

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in the next round of features. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

3. Open files with alternative extensions

I'd like to be able to open files with arbitrary file extensions.

Many files I have or work with are tsv files, but don't always have that extension, and it's not even an option to open them in Excel!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fix PageUp/Down Left/Right key functions that were broken by 15.16.0 Update

If you are in the middle of a large spreadsheet, these keys apparently move the cursor off screen, but the display does NOT move. They seem to work OK if you start from the R1C1 cell, but not otherwise. It all worked fine before the 15.16.0 update on 11/10/15.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make VBA GetFileName work in Mac. It works fine in Windows.

There is no simple means of selecting a file name from a VBA macro on the Mac platform. The only workaround devised (as far as I know) is incredibly clumsy and does not allow use of the GetFileName or ChDir routines.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. [num, txt, raw] = XLSREAD(filename.xlsx); should return equally-sized variables

NUM is a numerical array containing the numeric values from the spreadsheet. Super useful! Because it's numeric, non-numeric values need to be dealt with somehow, so they're converted to NaN. Also great! I can work with that!

Here's the problem: any non-numeric values on the exterior of the spreadsheet (or, equivalently, of RAW) are omitted instead of being converted to NaN. THIS RUINS EVERYTHING. Indexing become messy, messy guesswork, because NUM is a different size than TXT and RAW. Please just have the function return NaNs, so that NUM can be the same size as TXT and RAW.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Checkboxes double print when printing or save to pdf making them unreadable

When adding checkboxes to a sheet, then trying to print that sheet, print to PDF or Save as PDF, the checkboxes appear "double printed" making it very difficult to tell their checked state on the printed version. This bug has existed since the early betas.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Fix ODBC and/or JDBC Connectivity in Excel for Mac 2016

Currently Excel for Mac 2016 fails to connect to our system using a JDBC connector provided by OpenLink. This could be brushed off, however Excel for Mac 2011 works perfectly on the same system.

The connection is made and data is correctly imported using 2011, but not 2016 on the same system. It fails with the following pop-up error via 2016:

[OpenLink][ODBC][JDBC Server]java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/ibm/as400/access/AS400JDBCDriver
    ---
    This would appear to be an OpenLink or Java error, however this is consistently reproducible on the same system with 2016 and works fine on the same system with 2011 via the same file.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Toggle / Switch option under filtering

If we have large number of data in table and we want to see data belongs to few filters and then rest of the data. Say I have data for 100 cities and wanted to see data of 30 cities first and then rest of 70 cities. In first filter action I can select 30 cities and can look for its data and for rest I can just use toggle option to select rest 70 and unselect earlier selection of 30.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make available the forecast tool since that is needed for several statistical analysis

The forecast tool is fully available in the Windows version. Its absence actually limits various processes that are so important from financial and statistical point of view. Please look into this and try including it in the future.

119 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Printing vertical and horizontal worksheets

When printing within a workbook that has both vertical and horizontal work sheets the page orientations all become vertical or horizontal rather than maintaining the original orientation.

86 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Saving file after crash and no internet connection

After Excel for Mac crashes while the computer is not on an internet connection, it fails to verify that the software is authenticated and thus disables the 'save' function. This has been very problematic especially in areas without internet connection/ during exams!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Needed to fix copy paste the tables from excel to outlook

Needed to fix copy paste the tables from excel to outlook without border issue

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add feature to list all functions and include all functions offered on PCs

Add feature to list all functions and include all functions offered on PCs

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Grand totals at top of pivot table columns

Scrolling to the bottom of a huge pivot can be prohibitive. Give us the option to show grand totals for columns as the zeroth row !!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Remove all subtotals on pivot tables

Add a checkbox for removing all subtotals on a Pivot Table like Windows Excel. It's frustrating to remove subtotals from each item individually.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add real subdivisions for logarithmic plots!

In college I've had so many lab assignments where we were required to submit a semilog or log-log plot that only spanned one or two decades, but still needed subdivision gridlines (e.g. gridlines at {10, 20, 30, 40, etc.}, not just at {10, 100}). I end up finding an image of graph paper with the subdivisions I need and just dragging that underneath the plot and moving and resizing it to match the plot. I don't have to explain how much a pain that is. It would be so much better if Excel could add these subdivision gridlines automatically!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Big Integers

Can we get support for large integers? Right now, Excel converts bigints to floating point, which is just wrong.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. A way to disable "Some files can contain viruses or otherwise be harmful to your computer" each time I click on a linked file

If that notification could be disabled that would be great. I use excel a lot to keep a long list of powerpoints organized as we get them in med school and each one I click on I have to grant permissions for that file and then I also get the other pop-up about that it can contain viruses. I understand it's important to be there but I would really like a way to turn it off or a "do not ask me again"

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Support multi-row worksheet tabs, or vertical tabs (some way to see more sheet tabs at a time)

The workbooks I work with often have 10+ tabs. This makes it very hard to navigate as you don't get a good overview.

Why not introduce a feature in which the tab list can be viewed in a vertical mode, either to the right or the left side of the actual spreadsheet? This would make navigation much easier.

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] - recategorized and clarified idea title)

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and the votes about ways to make it easier to work with sheet tabs. We will continue to monitor the suggestion and prioritize it accordingly.

Currently, you can CTRL+Click or right-click on the sheet navigation buttons to the left of the sheet tabs to see the complete list of sheets, which can help you quickly find and navigate to a desired sheet.

Steve K [MS Excel]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base