Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please add a function to insert .pdf documents into excel speadsheets

I'd like to be able to add embed a .pdf document in a spreadsheet, and view it as either an icon or a link to the embedded document.

Thanks.

130 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

46 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Users to Edit Ranges

This function has existed in Excel for PC since 2007. Why doesn't it exist for Excel for Mac?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Right (indent) to formatting options

Excel for PC has had Left and Right (indent) in formatting since 2007. Excel for Mac only has Left (indent).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make the Save Dialog Box visible when the app does not have focus

If I changed a file, when I go to close the window, if Excel does not have focus (i.e., is not the active app), the save/discard box is not visible until I click (again) on the app to make it the active app. This does is annoying and does not conform to the Apple design standard. It is especially an issue when using multiple monitors, as I may be doing something in another app on another monitor that causes Excel to lose focus.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable My Apps in the Mac version.

Why can't I use My Apps in the Mac 2016 version. There's a lot of cool stuff going on in the My Apps section that i can't use on my Mac.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint writing Extraneous files that are filling up Hard Drive needlessly

All the Office 2016 Are generating extraneous Log files that if filling up Hard drives They should be Remove.
    Enclosed is a Screenshot I take from utility I use to locate files. There is 751 instances of The files and I don't normally use cloud type service nor servers. see this screenshot. https://goo.gl/nrLIqD I amgoing to Delete the files to reclaim some Hard drive space. They removed as soon as computer is shut down for the day to reclaim space.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add scrolling arrows at bottom to allow easy viewing

Some arrows on the scroll bars would be nice to navigate individual cells without using the mouse scroll or shift+mouse scroll to view Excel sheets.

Becomes rather tedious working on large sheets and is quite clunky.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. AppleScript to save as PDF not working

This script no longer works.

tell application "Microsoft Excel"
    save as active sheet filename "test.pdf" file format PDF file format with overwrite
    end tell

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SImple way to toggle OSX Excel keyboard shortcuts so that they mimic those in Excel Windows

Add a simple Excel option toggle that allows OSX users to mimic keyboard shortcuts from Window (F2 = edit, Ctrl+z = undo etc etc).

Many users tend to user windows Excel in a corporate environment and find it frustrating that their hard learned shortcuts don't work on OSX. Needs to be a simple way to turn on and off (c.f. the Lotus 123 navigation compatibility switch in advanced settings on Windows Excel)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make AutoComplete work without crashing the application

With AutoComplete switched on in preferences and some reasonably complex spreadsheets (names, table structured references &c.) typing into the formula bar will pretty reliably crash Mac Excel.

It's extremely frustrating and makes working on more complex spreadsheets basically impossible. Please fix this!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow for personalised data labels in XY scatter plots

In Excel 2016 for Mac there is no way to (easily) insert personalised labels to an XY scatter plot (like in the 2013 version for Windows, for instance...). In the Windows version (which I know best) there was the possibility to choose values for the labels that were not part of the XY plot itself but that option does not exist for the (2016) Mac version I can modify a few labels manually but with hundreds of point it is very complicated...
    I believe this feature is of utmost relevance!!

170 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all the support and comments for this suggestion. We will continue to monitor this and prioritize it along with all the other suggestions. We’ve been working to make Excel more consistent between Mac and Windows, as can be seen by the updates over the past several months, which have satisfied several thousand votes on this forum (multi-thread calculation, PivotCharts, modern chart types, new functions, slicers for tables). We are listening to the suggestions, comments and votes, and we will continue to make improvements.

Steve K [MS Excel]

12. Reinstate ability to temporarily evaluate part of a formula in the formula bar

In all previous versions of Excel for Mac, it was possible, while building a complex formula in the formula bar, to temporarily evaluate part of the formula by highlighting it and then using Cmd-= (Command & <equal sign>). To return the highlighted expression to what it was before evaluating, you then used Cmd-. (Command & <period>).

In Mac Excel 2016, the first part of this works fine, but the second part doesn't work at all - you are stuck with the evaluation, and there is no way to return to the expression that gave rise to it. In other words,…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Excel 15.16 crashes each time I want to save

I updated to 15.16 this morning, and now I can't work any more; Excel 15.16 crashes each time I want to save. Me too, I'm back to excel 2011, so frustrating.......

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ability To Change Shape and Picture Names

From what I can tell, it is impossible to change the reference name of a created Shape or a pasted-in picture. It appears you can only rename cell ranges....which seems very odd to me.

Thanks for taking this into consideration!

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in the next round of features. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

15. Open files with alternative extensions

I'd like to be able to open files with arbitrary file extensions.

Many files I have or work with are tsv files, but don't always have that extension, and it's not even an option to open them in Excel!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fix PageUp/Down Left/Right key functions that were broken by 15.16.0 Update

If you are in the middle of a large spreadsheet, these keys apparently move the cursor off screen, but the display does NOT move. They seem to work OK if you start from the R1C1 cell, but not otherwise. It all worked fine before the 15.16.0 update on 11/10/15.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make VBA GetFileName work in Mac. It works fine in Windows.

There is no simple means of selecting a file name from a VBA macro on the Mac platform. The only workaround devised (as far as I know) is incredibly clumsy and does not allow use of the GetFileName or ChDir routines.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. [num, txt, raw] = XLSREAD(filename.xlsx); should return equally-sized variables

NUM is a numerical array containing the numeric values from the spreadsheet. Super useful! Because it's numeric, non-numeric values need to be dealt with somehow, so they're converted to NaN. Also great! I can work with that!

Here's the problem: any non-numeric values on the exterior of the spreadsheet (or, equivalently, of RAW) are omitted instead of being converted to NaN. THIS RUINS EVERYTHING. Indexing become messy, messy guesswork, because NUM is a different size than TXT and RAW. Please just have the function return NaNs, so that NUM can be the same size as TXT and RAW.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Checkboxes double print when printing or save to pdf making them unreadable

When adding checkboxes to a sheet, then trying to print that sheet, print to PDF or Save as PDF, the checkboxes appear "double printed" making it very difficult to tell their checked state on the printed version. This bug has existed since the early betas.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Fix ODBC and/or JDBC Connectivity in Excel for Mac 2016

Currently Excel for Mac 2016 fails to connect to our system using a JDBC connector provided by OpenLink. This could be brushed off, however Excel for Mac 2011 works perfectly on the same system.

The connection is made and data is correctly imported using 2011, but not 2016 on the same system. It fails with the following pop-up error via 2016:

[OpenLink][ODBC][JDBC Server]java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/ibm/as400/access/AS400JDBCDriver
    ---
    This would appear to be an OpenLink or Java error, however this is consistently reproducible on the same system with 2016 and works fine on the same system with 2011 via the same file.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base