Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Right Click mini tool bar missing

Excel for Windows has a great feature of a mini tool bar when right clicking on a cell. This feature is missing from the Mac version.
    Please add this to future releases.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. speed it up - improve the Office 365 so that it works like Office used to...

Since going to the subscription ($99/year) instead of purchasing the application on a CD, Excel is terribly slow: slow to load, mainly. Once it is up and running, it's ok, I think, though I haven't been doing anything very demanding on it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix it unactivate Excel window just after typing only once to a cell

After using some macro, I just type only once to enter a word to a cell, and I found I can't type anything because Excel window is not active.
    In this case, we can click the cell to activate Excel window and make it possible to enter a data again, but this bothers me much.
    Another measurement is to reboot Excel, and open books again( sometimes missing some books!!)...

please fix this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I need to be able to include an image/picture/graph -inside- a cell, as cell content and filetype.

This I need so very often! And so great features would be possible.
    Just to name the most obvious, a sortable list, where one column is for representative images. It would be sortable by the other columns and resize the cells accordingly.

I know, that pictures are linked with their left top pixel to the respective cell, but that is way too less to be feasible for all the necessary applications.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable copying a cell and inserting it as a hyperlink in same or different worksheet through a right click or paste Special option

In Excel for Mac 14.6.0 - I can't seem to be able to just copy a cell and paste it as a hyperlink whilst maintaining the original cell address & description. Current process is complicated and not working correctly as described in Help; when using INSERT> HYPERLINK, you have to paste cell description, then LOCATE where you can only specify another worksheet and then manually complete the location with the cell reference! I'm sure you could just paste the whole cell address before. Also, you cannot just enter/paste the 'defined name' as described in Help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Cell gradient compatibility with windows office

Better compatibility and be able to apply gradient fill on cells.
    When a document with conditional formatting applying gradients on cell is done in windows an then opened on mac the same breaks and file lags everywhere until remove all the gradients.
    This shouldnt happen....

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add filter dropdown to columns when table header scrolls off of screen

Add a filter dropdown to the column headings in a long table. Right now when you scroll the header off of the screen, the column headings change from letters to the column names, but the filter functionality disappears. Windows Excel does this - was added in Excel 2010 for Windows.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Error with VLOOKUP and GETPIVOTDATA double-populating characters

When I try entering a formula in which the range references cells in a separate workbook, I get a double-character in the formula when I start typing again.

For example, I try to enter the formula:
    =VLOOKUP(A1,'[Workbook-Name]Sheet1'!$A$C,3,FALSE)

To populate the cell range, I click into the other workbook and highlight the desired columns. Then I enter the comma and 3. Excel will automatically turn the 3 into a 33.

For GETPIVOT, I see similar issues, but this time it tends to insert two commas after the workbook cell reference.
    Sample formula:
    =GETPIVOTDATA("Field",'[Workbook-Name]Sheet1'!$A1,"Name","Value")

If I create formulas reference ranges within the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Enable english formulas in Excel with any other predefined language

I have been teaching Excel and it would make it a lot easier if same formulas and functions would work in everyones computers regardless of the language they have chosen for their own excel. The translations cannot be guessed, so at least there need to be translations available, e.g. in these web pages. So, that I could search for example for "VLOOKUP" and I could get it in any language I want.

It could be preference where you could choose whether you want to write the formulas in your predefined language or in english.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. FIX THE STINKING FILE PATH RESTRICTION OF 255 CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!

INCREASE OR ELIMINATE THE 255 CHARACTER LIMIT ON FILE PATHS.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. select color palette

color palette does not work with my screen. how to change the color temperature or rgb value?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add option to turn off two-sided printing in Excel!

Real pain to go into preset settings, and that DOES NOT WORK (at least for HP printers. A simple check box would make sense!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. sheet-right to left

we can,t find any tools to change sheet right to left .
    There is that in page lay out menu at windows microsoft office

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Put the keyboard shortcuts for deletes back on? the ctrl-K and Ctrl-i (that italicizes everything)

We use Ctrl-K to delete an entire line and Ctrl-I inserted a line (copied or just a blank). Both of those are missing and we need them back desperately! Using ctrl-i just italicizes everything instead. Please put these back?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Ignore this error

When I set formatting in a cell for "text" and paste a number, stop giving an error that the number is formatted as text. I know. You know why?

See if you can follow:
    I set the formatting manually. I already know it's a number being displayed as text. If I set something manually, stop telling me it's set that way. Especially if there are already important contextual clues (like the number sticking to the right side of the cell or not truncating or adopting date format, etc) showing that it's formatted as text.

I hate having to manually declare…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. RemoveDuplicates in VBA not working properly

When dealing with multiple columns, i.e.

CODE: range.removeduplicates columns:=array(1,2)

A prompt showed up and ask user whether or not delete duplicate values

It causes problem because without confirming deletion, the code won't run correctly. and what make the whole thing worse is that the code finishes running before I had a chance to confirm the deletion.

Please help

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Fix Hyperlink (CTRL K) suddenly Excel reports valid URLs cannot be opened

Excel does not launch/switch to Safari anymore and reports "Unable to open http***** Cannot download the information you requested@.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base