Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Big Integers

Can we get support for large integers? Right now, Excel converts bigints to floating point, which is just wrong.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. A way to disable "Some files can contain viruses or otherwise be harmful to your computer" each time I click on a linked file

If that notification could be disabled that would be great. I use excel a lot to keep a long list of powerpoints organized as we get them in med school and each one I click on I have to grant permissions for that file and then I also get the other pop-up about that it can contain viruses. I understand it's important to be there but I would really like a way to turn it off or a "do not ask me again"

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support multi-row worksheet tabs, or vertical tabs (some way to see more sheet tabs at a time)

The workbooks I work with often have 10+ tabs. This makes it very hard to navigate as you don't get a good overview.

Why not introduce a feature in which the tab list can be viewed in a vertical mode, either to the right or the left side of the actual spreadsheet? This would make navigation much easier.

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] - recategorized and clarified idea title)

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and the votes about ways to make it easier to work with sheet tabs. We will continue to monitor the suggestion and prioritize it accordingly.

Currently, you can CTRL+Click or right-click on the sheet navigation buttons to the left of the sheet tabs to see the complete list of sheets, which can help you quickly find and navigate to a desired sheet.

Steve K [MS Excel]

4. Provide way to avoid automagical field value reformatting when opening CSV files

Theis is related to the leading zeroes one, but it is at least as bothersome that it tries to format as an excel data anything that looks like a date -- including values that are not dates. And the date formatting means you can't use Excel to open a CSV with dates, edit it, and re-save it without completely changing the way dates are formatted.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all the votes and comments for this suggestion. We are considering improvements to how Excel deals with reformatting (or not) as data is imported and entered from CSV and other sources. Your comments are very helpful.

Steve K [MS Excel]

5. Improve Graph Drawing Performance

When scrolling (e.g. with mousewheel) and a graph that was previously outside the view area moves into the view area there is a significant delay before the graph is drawn (1+ sec). If there are several graphs there is an even worse delay.

The workbook is not complex and the same spreadsheet in Excel (for Mac) 2008 did not suffer such delays i.e. nothing to do with the volume of data or the spreadsheet - something to do with Excel 2016.

I've not tried different styles or types of graph, mine are just simple line plots based in data in…

90 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are investigating the best way to improve the performance of drawing charts after scrolling, and are prioritizing this along with all the other requests here.

Steve K [MS Excel]

6. 0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable VBA Support for creating and editing UserForms (not the Data Form)

In previous versions of Mac Excel you could create a Form/Dialog using VBA (called a VBA UserForm). In Mac Excel 2016, you can no longer do this. Please bring that functionality back. Note that this is different than the "Form" option on the Data menu. There's a separate suggestion on UserVoice for that.

(March-2018: MS updated the Title and Description to avoid confusion with the Data Form request)

664 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

153 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and for the support of this feature. If you meant to vote for the Data Form, which is different than VBA UserForms, please change your vote to that suggestion instead. From reading the comments on this one, it seems that some clarification was needed.

I updated the title and description for this one and we’ll continue to monitor for comments and votes.

Here’s the link to the Data Form suggestion – https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/17930662-restore-data-form-functionality

Steve K [MS Excel]

8. Bring back Relative References in Macro Recording

In Mac XL 2011 You had ability to create Macros that made use of Relative References in a addition to absolute references. In the Excel Mac 2016 Answers forum this is vitally important.

Any possibility of returning this to Excel Mac 2016

[10/22/2015 - Dan [MS]: Added image to show where this feature used to exist in older versions of Mac XL]

330 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

151 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. HYPERLINK formula link to local file unreliable

Bug: The hyperlink formula linking to a local file seems unreliable. there are two issues
    1. Even with "Confirm before opening other applications" preference disabled, clicking on a hyperlink cell seems to always ask for user confirmation with a warning.
    2. Sometimes Excel will "get in a mess" and after the warning has been accepted give a very generic error message of failure. Once this error has occurred, closing and re-opening spreadsheet or any other spreadsheet will suffer same problems and you need to exit Excel and re-run for t to start working again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Sort Out Scroll Bars

Sort Out Scroll Bars. Version 15.14 sorted the "respect OSX scroll bar visibility setting", but they are still not initialising/positioning correctly. When visible all the time, often when you grab the vertical slider with the mouse, the worksheet will jump miles (and by that I mean a really really long way) from the current scroll position.

One aspect of the bug has been fixed, but there are still major problems.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Opening and Saving Files...

is not allowed in the 2016 Excel for Mac and I'm not sure what happened. Whenever I open an Excel file on my laptop, it always defaults to "15 (read-only) and gets really annoying when I have to open the file, save as "15" or "Copy of 15" just to save it, delete my old file and rename the new file. I can't even save properly named files as a name other than the names listed above. I've strongly considered making the switch to Apple Numbers instead of constantly dealing with how annoying this process has become. Please fix.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Keep format the same when pasting an Excel graph into Word

When I paste an Excel graph into a Word file (just copy-paste), the color of some of the lines and markers change. I would like to keep the format the same.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow two open spreadsheets to share a search term

In my previous version of Excel (Excel for Mac 2011), if I had two different spreadsheets open at the same time, and typed something in the search box for one spreadsheet, when I finished that search, all I had to do was click anywhere in the second spreadsheet and my search string would magically appear in the search box in the second spreadsheet! I loved that & it saved me time. I didn't purposely set it up that way & don't know if it was a built-in feature or not.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. When using

When using "cannot use object linking and embedding" Excel's latest version which "cannot use object linking and embedding" I just installed I get "cannot use object linking and embedding" the message "cannot use object linking and embedding" every couple of "cannot use object linking and embedding" minutes. I realize that "cannot use object linking and embedding" Microsoft disables Macintosh "cannot use object linking and embedding" versions of its software out of "cannot use object linking and embedding" spite, but usually it's just "cannot use object linking and embedding" a feature, like OLE, that "cannot use object linking and embedding" I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add webdav support

Hi,

I recently discovered that saving files to a webdav volume with Word, Excel or PowerPoint 2016 wouldn't work. I thought it was a bug and I opened a case at the support who explained to me that saving files to webdav volumes was not supported in Office for Mac 2016.

I think it would be a great feature to re-introduce webdav support in Office 2016 as it is a very good way to access your files from a network drive that works anyware, while keeping your content hosted corporately.

Best regards

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Multiple selection list boxes in 2016 (Mac) or even latest Win version

Can we finally have multiple selection list boxes (easily) via data validation (if not at least via VBA User forms)? Also you can create a multiple selection list control that allows this, but the control can't auto dimension to each cell's size. (Say like a pop-up.

Point: many people would like to be able to make a simple, multiple selection list box that can be easily copied to a column of cells (not just within an Excel form). It doesn't matter how it's done, as long as it's easy.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Import XML Files

Excel 2013 for PC has the ability to import XML. I'm SHOCKED that a product 3 years ahead doesn't. Not asking for a lot here - just functional parity for Excel on the PC.

67 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

It would be great if you can provide more detail about the scenarios that you’re trying to solve with XML in Excel, so that we have a better understanding of this suggestion.

Steve K [MS Excel]

18. Calculator

I miss the integrated calculator from Excel 2008 and 2011. My duties have been made more difficult because you of arcane reasons have removed this feature from Office 365. I ask you to reintroduce the calculator application.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Condense the icon spacing on the Quick Access toolbar

I understand that while Excel 2016 has been upgraded to allow customization of the Quick Access toolbar, the icon spacing only allows about half the number as Excel 2011. A couple of months ago I cancelled my Office365 subscription after discovering that the Quick Access toolbar couldn't be customized. I won't be a subscriber until I learn that this productivity problem is solved.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Paste a PDF-File in an Excel-Sheet

Paste a PDF-File in an Excel-Sheet with menu Paste/Text/Object like Office for Windows.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base