Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. The Undo button should only effect the spreadsheet window it is at the top of. I have 2 spreadsheets open, I found hitti

The Undo button should only effect the spreadsheet window it is at the top of. I have 2 spreadsheets open, I found clicking undo on one was actually changing the other. This is stupid.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Insert a template into a worksheet and sync templates with other devices

1). When working on larger workbooks, for different projects, I need to compile a worksheet with several basic sheets and from other templates. I like to insert them directly from template into the sheet. Please make it possible.

2). A way to sync a template between different computers for same user or different users but same office account.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow for more than 7 nested IF() logical operators.

This would be helpful for teaching and assigning letter grades since there are 12 options.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Non-parametric statistical tests

Excel only offers parametric tests like the t-test and the ANOVA. It should also offer non-parametric tests that are not based on binomial distributions like the Mann Whitney (u test) for instance.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Pivottable - Repeat Item Labels

Hi, there is an important function missing in Excel for Mac ... the repeat item labels in pivot tables. ¿Could you please add this function asap or tell me how could I do this? I really need it in order to copy and filter pivot table data. Regards, Tais

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. open last saved location

After upgrading to 10.11.x I have noticed when opening another excel spreadsheet, the last location is my Documents and not the last place I opened. Example.. I open a spreadsheet located on my Desktop and want to open another in the same location, I have to navigate through 4 folders before I reach my desired location. Why, does excel not remember my last local?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. View (All) option (like Word) to see all white-space characters, training spaces, new-lines, etc.

Given how single trailing spaces can disrupt smooth functioning of functions, especially like VLOOKUP, it would be wonderful to have an option to display spaces, new-lines (and indeed anything else that can contribute to "hidden" white-space) just like we have been able to see in Word as an option for, ooh, about a century (or at least since the beginning of time).
    At the same time, and in the same mode, a distinctive background shading or similar of numbers-stored-as-text — another huge time waster and caltrop for the novice, and even not-so-novice users.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Colorize the chevron above a filtered list

Colorize the chevron above a filtered column. It would be helpful if the filter box / icon at the top of a column changed color when a filter has been applied. When dealing with many columns, it would help to visually identify which data has been filtered.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow edit mode in 'Change PivotTable date source' Location box

In Excel for windows, when changing the datasource location for pivot tables, you can use F2 to switch to edit mode and move the cursor around the location box to type the datasource location.

There doesn't appear to be an equivalent edit mode for this dialog box (and presumably others where F2 works in windows Excel) on Excel for Mac.

This is infuriating - it is often much quicker just to amend the data source location by typing rather than selecting cells. The only solution I've found is to highlight all the text in the location box, paste it to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. drawing toolbar

Please bring back the drawing toolbar or at least bring back the select object tool. now when i need to delete 30 out of 100 photos. i have to select each object one by one pressing shift+cmd. that is time consuming and easy for errors.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. my speed sheet won't calculate proper when hitting the E it gives a date and not the total.

my speed sheet won't calculate proper when hitting the E it gives a date and not the total.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Show number of cells selected

I would like the screen to somewhere show a readout of how many cells are selected. Whether I'm selecting a group of cells to either paste to, or copy from (or even just select to get a manual count, without copying or pasting), I'm amazed that a program as mature as Excel does not have the simple, basic functionality of showing how many cells are selected. Please implement this!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Upward Search/Find

If you're at a specific cell in a workbook, the current Find functionality (command-F) only allows you to search downward, to the NEXT cell that matches the value. I frequently need to search UP to find the PREVIOUS cell that matches that value, and there seems to be no such function. In a program as mature as Excel, this lack of basic functionality seems rather idiotic, and downright lame. I think you even used to have it, many years ago, and then got rid of it in a flash of lunacy. A simple checkbox in the search dialogue box that…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow larger values for Spinner control

I want to be able to use the spinner control to increment and decrement date vales, but the max number allowed is only 30,000, which isn't even large enough to accommodate today's date value much less future date vales.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. I just want the damn thing to work-El Capitan 10.11.4 Office for Mac 14.6.3

Purchased Office 2011 for Mac last Sept (2015@$238 bucks)-updated to 14.6.3 Does not work with El Capitan 10.11.4-these are the newest versions...I have tried every on from both companies and nothing in Office 2011 works. Not Word, not Excel, not Power Point, not Outlook. Tried trashing and re-loading-nothing works. I spent the money, I just want it to work!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Excel could not open because some content is unreadable

Hello -

We use a collaborate Google Sheets to mark daily hours we spend on specific projects. Every month, I create a pivot table to tally the numbers/project. I want to back up this table for my records in an Excel workbook. When I download as .xlsx, I get an error message "Excel could not open .... because some content is unreadable". Then I click "Open and repair", and it says "Excel repaired or removed unreadable content from this workbook. Do you want to review or save the log file?". Therefore, I can assume some of my data is lost.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Unable to do Save As to OneDrive Folder and Local Directory At the Same Time (Excel)

I notice that it is necessary to do two save as functions of an Excel workbook document if I want to have a current copy both in my OneDrive folder and local directory or drive on my Mac. At the moment I have do a save as of a workbook to my OneDrive folder then do a second save as of the same workbook to a local directory or drive.

Important suggestion is for the developers to urgently consider writing an option of allowing the saving of files into the two locations at the same time, without having to so…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. EXCEL2016を導入したらEXCEL2011のファイル操作が不能になりました

EXCEL2016を導入したらEXCEL2011のファイル操作が不能になりました

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. When selecting multiple tabs using command button it keeps auto scrolling back to the first tab. how to disable this please?

In Excel for Mac 2016, when selecting multiple tabs using command button it keeps auto scrolling back to the first tab. in older versions you could use the arrows to move along the tabs and select them without it auto scrolling back to tab1.
    Also, how do you make the tabs smaller? for large excel doc's there aren't enough tab's visible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base