Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Oh how I miss the F4 repeat function from Windows Excel!!!

Oh how I miss the F4 repeat function from Windows Excel!!! Ctrl Y works sometimes, then it doesn't - drives me nuts.....

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. USB numeric keypad

Numeric keypad is not working after upgrading to El Capitan.
    Please update ASAP. working without mentioned keypad is very hard.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix Cell Navigation in 15.17

Since the 15.17 update, there is now a noticeable delay when moving between cells using the arrow keys and sometime the cursor does not respond at all to the key press. Please fix (it was fine in 15.16).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improve graph performance with plots containing >1000 datapoints in Excel 2016

Excel 2016 chokes when handling plots containing many data points. Copying these plots from Excel to Word or Powerpoint causes issues in those applications as well.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Remove Cap on File Path Length - We Shouldn't Have to Move Files to Save Them

A limit on the length of a file name is fine, but limiting the file path length means that if your life is complicated by folders within folders then you regularly have to move around folders just to save documents in Excel. This is very tedious and creates new possibilities for error while working.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Can you fix the mail merge bug in Office Mac 2011?

Mail merge does not work with an xlsm file, are there plans to fix this, it is extremely frustrating and time consuming using work arounds.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bring back the "option-click" shortcut to insert column(s), row(s), or cell(s).

Please reinstate the option+click shortcut or at least a way to customize for it. It makes my work much easier and is the only reason I've yet to upgrade. Thanks a lot!

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. get rid of the "Data connections have been disabled" error message that appears every time you import anything.

get rid of the "Data connections have been disabled" error message that appears every time you import anything.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. The instruction: application.DisplayFormulaBar = False or True didn't functioned in Excel 2011 for Mac

The instruction: application.DisplayFormulaBar = False or True didn't functioned in Excel 2011 for Mac

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Enable batch convert cell refs in formulas from relative to absolute in one go.

Sometimes we need to convert a relative reference in a cell (e.g. A1) to absolute values (e.g. $A$1) or the contrary. This is a painstaking process, requiring to click in the cell, locate the references, and adding/removing the $ as required. It is tedious and has to be done cell by cell, and within a cell ref by ref. Like the middle ages! It would be useful and great to enable to select the cell (and even a group of cells) and toggle ALL REFS at once to absolute and relative.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. For charts link a color to a series name so that we don't have to worry about changing its colour anymore.

I've been waiting for this for ages. Why is the color scheme linked to a given order of series? We need to set once and for all a series name to set colour.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the further details and example. We’ll definitely consider this in the context of our future planning. Please continue to vote on this idea.

Thanks,
    Scott {MSFT]

14. Customisable filter

It would be great to customize the size of the filter box in excel. At present I can only manually resize it, and each time I reopen the filter, I have to resize it again. It would be great if the default opened to whatever size you made it the previous time. Also would be great if the text size could be enlarged.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please add a function to insert .pdf documents into excel speadsheets

I'd like to be able to add embed a .pdf document in a spreadsheet, and view it as either an icon or a link to the embedded document.

Thanks.

123 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow Users to Edit Ranges

This function has existed in Excel for PC since 2007. Why doesn't it exist for Excel for Mac?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add Right (indent) to formatting options

Excel for PC has had Left and Right (indent) in formatting since 2007. Excel for Mac only has Left (indent).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make the Save Dialog Box visible when the app does not have focus

If I changed a file, when I go to close the window, if Excel does not have focus (i.e., is not the active app), the save/discard box is not visible until I click (again) on the app to make it the active app. This does is annoying and does not conform to the Apple design standard. It is especially an issue when using multiple monitors, as I may be doing something in another app on another monitor that causes Excel to lose focus.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Enable My Apps in the Mac version.

Why can't I use My Apps in the Mac 2016 version. There's a lot of cool stuff going on in the My Apps section that i can't use on my Mac.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint writing Extraneous files that are filling up Hard Drive needlessly

All the Office 2016 Are generating extraneous Log files that if filling up Hard drives They should be Remove.
    Enclosed is a Screenshot I take from utility I use to locate files. There is 751 instances of The files and I don't normally use cloud type service nor servers. see this screenshot. https://goo.gl/nrLIqD I amgoing to Delete the files to reclaim some Hard drive space. They removed as soon as computer is shut down for the day to reclaim space.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base