Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. sheet-right to left

we can,t find any tools to change sheet right to left .
    There is that in page lay out menu at windows microsoft office

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Put the keyboard shortcuts for deletes back on? the ctrl-K and Ctrl-i (that italicizes everything)

We use Ctrl-K to delete an entire line and Ctrl-I inserted a line (copied or just a blank). Both of those are missing and we need them back desperately! Using ctrl-i just italicizes everything instead. Please put these back?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ignore this error

When I set formatting in a cell for "text" and paste a number, stop giving an error that the number is formatted as text. I know. You know why?

See if you can follow:
    I set the formatting manually. I already know it's a number being displayed as text. If I set something manually, stop telling me it's set that way. Especially if there are already important contextual clues (like the number sticking to the right side of the cell or not truncating or adopting date format, etc) showing that it's formatted as text.

I hate having to manually declare…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. RemoveDuplicates in VBA not working properly

When dealing with multiple columns, i.e.

CODE: range.removeduplicates columns:=array(1,2)

A prompt showed up and ask user whether or not delete duplicate values

It causes problem because without confirming deletion, the code won't run correctly. and what make the whole thing worse is that the code finishes running before I had a chance to confirm the deletion.

Please help

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fix Hyperlink (CTRL K) suddenly Excel reports valid URLs cannot be opened

Excel does not launch/switch to Safari anymore and reports "Unable to open http***** Cannot download the information you requested@.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Turn off partial column scrolling (bring back snap to grid scrolling)

In previous versions of Excel, moving the sheet around in the window was done column by column, or row by row. With a MacBook Pro touchpad, I can move the sheet with two fingers, but instead of moving cell by cell, I keep losing half of a cell off the left side of the window. Drives me crazy.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bug: fix the error that adds random 0.01 onto sums

I keep track of my spending in excel. I am up to row 1100.
    When I sum up the value in three cells, they are off by 0.01. It has happened twice now - In row 1089, and now again in row 1101 (both column D).
    For example:
    E1088+D1089-C1089 is 0.01 over what the sum should be
    E1100+D1101-C1101 is 0.01 over what the sum should be

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Option to change the highlight of the active cell

Please give an option to change the colour of the highlight of the active cell. This green is not visible enough.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Online templates missing?

When writing an article about Excel features and ideas on the excel blog it's not user friendly when the description is either misleading or isn't working.

The article link:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Learn-how-to-use-the-Stock-Analysis-template-with-Excel-2016-f65e62ac-7af6-4cc6-98f3-f68b147ed65d?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

I was reading use excel like a boss and followed the link for the stock analysis and per the instructions I went into my templates and it's not there and it's also not online at the following link: https://templates.office.com/en-us/templates-for-Excel

Also since comments are closed on that article I can't ask what happened to that template.

I'm using office 365 on my iMac using Excel 2016 version 15.18. When I search…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. bullet items for words in a cell

allow items in a cell to be buletted

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Introduce "Offline Mode" to Reduce Latency and Improve Performance

Please create an "Offline Mode" feature for Office 365 to reduce overhead and improve performance when network connections are not required for one's basic Office app use.

While using Excel (Office 365 for Mac) there is too much latency in the most simple tasks. Additionally, the application(s) attempt to make multiple network connections to various sites for subscription, sharepoint, and other apps connectivity. All of these actions reduce performance and create an overhead which impacts the users' experience (one only needs to google the feedback to date on the latest Office for Mac issues). Additionally, there are times when traveling…

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This suggestion is from quite a while ago and we’ve had lots of updates since then. Please comment whether this is still an issue or let us know that it’s gotten better. We’ll keep this open and monitor for votes and comments.

Steve K [MS Excel]

15. Find and replace text without affecting font style[Bold,Italic,Subscript,Superscript]

I want to find some text and replace to null string, After the text will be replaced. But, the following words font style would be affect.

Any idea to fix this?
    Thanks.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Excel 2016 Please return the "enable: all files" in the text import box so we can import files that have extensions other than .txt

Excel 2011 had the option at the bottom to switch to "all files" when importing text files so that files that had extensions other than .txt would not be greyed out. This is now gone in Excel 2016 so it is impossible to import text files that have other file extensions unless you rename them (which is very impractical for me).

Please put the option back! I want to be able to import .dat, .ici, .ocw and so on as I used to on Excel 2011.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. VLOOKUP and 256 characters limit

Many functions in EXCEL for MAC 2011 don't work at all (they return the dreaded #VALUE field) if the one of the reference cells has more than 256 characters. This is the case already for VLOOKUP, and for TEXT. Possibly for others as well?
    Users shall have a list of these, to avoid disappointment. Of course if it could be corrected it would be better.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fix https link resolution in Office

The Office 2011 external-link-checking function needs either:
    - To be less restrictive with https links by resolving them even if the linked website does not present an Excel-readable SSL certificate (in my case, this is because the linked page redirects the browser to a login service).
    or
    - To offer the option of disabling the link checking function on Mac, as is already (partially?) possible on Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/218153

A Microsoft Communities feed describing this lack of support for https links on Office 2011 can be found here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macexcel/excel-2011-hyperlinks-not-working-error-unable-to/eac46a95-8fcf-43a1-8e69-4e8dc3da9461

Thank you,
    Kurt

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Major Data Entry Issue

If a cell contains the number zero, and I enter another number in that cell, the zero gets appended to the new number. For example, if I enter the number 5, Excel shows 50 in that cell instead of just 5.

Although this doesn't happen all the time, I have actually had it happen to me once out of approximately every three tries.

This is serious because people using spreadsheets automatically enter numbers into cells and always assume the that new number will replace the old. The fact that it appends the zero to the new number can cause users…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Resume for Office Applications

Intro: For almost 5 years, since Apple released Mac OS X Lion in July 2011), Mac users enjoyed "Resume" feature that enables applications to re-open in exactly the same state as before quitting the application or restarting the system, including window positions and contents of unsaved files.

Problem: Lack of the "Resume" feature is what makes me dread logging off and restarting Windows. Especially when I have multiple Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents open in different virtual desktops on two monitors - having to re-create this setup after the restart is really annoying.

Suggestion: I suggest Microsoft implements this functionality…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base