Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. default pref choosen ws format forced to an existing worksheet

I noticed that there is a setting that forced every opened WS to set to dirty state ( unsaved state) and when saved it will use/forced a different, the set default WS format.
    This setting is found, preferences > tab Compatilibity > preffered file format. The popover note says, that I can set this to the one that I used most, but not that it forces me to change an existing WS format to that format.
    So, instead that it is used only with a new document, where and when I do expect it to effect on, Excel doesn't respect…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Can Excel also have smart decimal outline number sorting?

So 1.24.3 comes before 1.101.4 and after 1.9.14?
    Needed for all sorting in table with classifications numbered according to some standard.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Keep the Count of the Rows and Columns involved ALWAYS on hand

Example:

If I want to sum 300 rows, I write: =Sum(M30:M330), I often can't remember the COUNT. Have I just summed 300 rows in that equation, or have I summed 301 rows? You see!? I WASTE A LOT OF TIME double checking that the area selected by my formulas selected the number of rows I intended or 1 row too much/too few.

It's hard to figure this out! It shouldn't be.

When I'm double clicked on the cell with a sum function, for example, highlighting a range of (M30:M330) within the function, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO SCROLL OVER TO…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow users to define Programmable Hotkeys for any Simple or Advanced Functions!

You don't need to break Excel's hotkeys to do this! You can keep your shortcut key TOTALLY INTACT!

Here's how you do it: Give us programmable hotkeys, for example Option 1 - 9 Can be user-programmable hotkeys.

For any given user, there are 10 involved tasked that they most commonly perform, for which there are no hotkeys.

For example, for a user they might be:

1) Drawing a box around a cell

2) Converting a Number to a Percent

3) Creating a line graph specifically out of two columns (which normally requires 2-3 clicks - the hotkey will enable the…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow Ribbon AUTOHIDING in Mac Excel

The idea is simple.

IF AUTOHIDE RIBBON is turned on,

THEN the Ribbon collapses into the TITLES OF THE RIBBON TABS automatically as your mouse moves off it. The Ribbon re-expands when your mouse hovers over the Title Tabs that the Ribbon collapsed into.

The whole key to this is to have NO DELAY between when you hover on it and the Ribbon Autoexpands, and NO DELAY when you hover off it and the Ribbon Autocollapses.

Please Don't even put in a 0.1ms delay for aesthetics. Default to 0.00ms delay, so that it SNAPS OPEN AND CLOSED. If you want…

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fix Comments in Excel

The comment box in Excel is broken, it often results in Excel crashing.

1) It's laggy
    2) It opens with the words "Microsoft Office". THIS IS SO BIZZARE WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT! Why not just leave the comment empty? There's no point in advertizing Microsoft Office IN the comment, when the comment feature is not as beautiful yet as the rest of the suit, and causes an otherwise wonderful program to CRASH rather often.

A new comment should be empty, or PERHAPS have a greyed out phrase "enter comment here...", which dissapears the moment you click on the new…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. "What If" Question Environment for Business & Finance (like Quantrix, but better)

The idea is simple:

If I paste in a financial, excel 'knows' what it is automacally ie) Balance Sheet, and opens up a submenu that will enable me, should I click there, to ask WHAT IF questions of the statement. The answers will be posted to a new sheet, which is the output environment for the identified financial.

Quantrix has allowed you to do this since inception, but Quantrix does not make it seem 'plug & play simple.' So this is a MAJOR opportunity for Excel to make those features intuitive and easy to use, while being just as rich.…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add the ability to set defaults for conditional formatting options

Saving conditional formatting options for when you are working with multiple spreadsheets that need to stay separate but have the same conditions applied

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support Command+Tilde in Full Screen Mode

When multiple workbooks are open in Excel 2016 for Mac, you are able to switch between them by pressing Command+Tilde only if the workbooks are NOT in full screen mode. If the workbooks ARE in full screen mode, Command+Tilde no longer works.

This presents a significant usability/productivity problem in that you have to mouse through several layers just to switch between open full screen workbooks.

Command+Tilde should work regardless of whether workbooks are being viewed full screen or windowed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Not able to open outlook mail inserted in Excel

In excel if any outlook mail is embedded or insert, same is not getting opened in Mac but same is opening easily in windows

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow copy/paste fraction input w/o converting to a freaking date!!!

Excel for Mac insists upon converting a fraction into a date. Believe or not, people still use fractions, and number/number is not always a date.

Allow copy/paste fraction input w/o converting to a freaking date!!!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Fix the long term bug that appends garbage characters to the clipboard when using dataobject.putinclipboard

I think the heading says it all. This function does not work and makes clipboard usage fro mac almost impossible

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Export to SharePoint

It would be great if you could export from Excel to a Sharepoint list in Excel for Mac. At present you have to cut and paste which is prone to error with large files.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Font/Zoom size difference between Mac and PC

Different Font/Cell sizes between PC and Mac are driving me crazy.
    In order to view Excel sheets created on a PC in an appropriate size I always have to set the zoom value to 130% on my Mac. When I send these sheets back the PC guys they are annoyed because they have to change the zoom back to 100%
    I know this is an oooold "problem" between Mac and PC and the 72 dpi / 96 dpi difference but please there is no reason to finally get this sorted out.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Select all within pivot table filter drop down search

In Windows you can select a filter drop down on a pivot table and search for something and select all. On a mac, when you search for something you then have to check all items matching the criteria.

Example: I want to filter by month and I have each day of the month in my filter field name. If I search "Aug" for "August" I then have to check August 1 - 31 rather than being able to just select all within the search.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Caps-Lock interferes with custom shortcuts

I like to use paste-values a lot, so I add Command-option-v as a keyboard shortcut. However, it does not work when Caps-Lock is active. I've tried adding Command-option-shiht-v as a shortcut also, and adding the shortcut when Caps-lock is on, but it just does not work when Caps-lock is engaged.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add back the ability to select custom paper sizes

This is a regression from previous versions of Excel for mac. When doing page layout, it is a requirement for many users to be able to specify the paper size, regardless of what is currently made available by the printer driver. This was possible in previous versions of Excel, but now, the Page Layout / Size menu does not have a Custom option.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Why is it that the most important tool in the Tool Bar, the one for editing what you have entered in a cell, KEEPS DISAPPEARING!!!

The field that is necessary when you need to edit or add to ANYTHING in a cell seems to have no name and periodically DISAPPEARS FROM THE TOOL BARS!!!!! I can't even find a name for it!!! DAMN! This reminds me of the old Lotus 1-2-3 when you were "Just supposed to know" that f2 was delete, it wasn't written down anywhere, it wasn't even on the key template! This is the same thing, the field I use the most is just GONE!!!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you give a bit more info about the control you are talking about? (maybe a screenshot, or describe the control a bit more)

Unfortunately, while I can tell you’re frustrated, I’m not quite sure what tool you’re referring to. In order to edit a cell, all you should have to do is click the cell and start typing.

Also – what version of Excel are you using?

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

20. Could you please document/explain the differences in form control/VBA usage in Office 2016 for Mac?

I'm building an Excel spreadsheet tool that I would like to be compatible across different versions of Office. It's not terribly complicated; just a few sheets and buttons that allow you to manage data & do some basic analysis. I was able to make it completely compatible with Excel 2011 for Mac by using only form controls and by getting rid of any "Missing" references in the VBA editor, but in Office 2016, I get errors trying to set the value of a drop-down/combobox using .ControlFormat.ListIndex or .ControlFormat.Value. Both versions work fine in Excel 2010 & 2013 for Windows and…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base