Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Cell with a cell (Sub-cell)

Have the ability to create sub-cells that allow for calculations to appear as values within a cell in brackets: example1- cell: Sales-Less Sales discounts (value) and example2- cell: Confidence interval (1.96)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Insert photos into comment box!!!

Not sure why this option isn't available, completely leaving your customer base out to hang with a feature I used when I had PC...

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Data Validation move after enter

When an item is chosen form an incell dropdown list from data validation, the cell selection should move in accordance with the preference selection for move after enter. Selecting the item from the list should be the same as typing the value and pressing enter. In the current implementation on all platforms it is not. You need to select the item from the list and then select the next cell. If the selection were to move after the selection, it would make data entry much easier and faster, particularly in Excel on the iPad. (For Bob Greenblatt, former MVP)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Extend Support to VB.NET on Xamarin

This will support cross-platform addins, native custom worksheet controls, an existing cross-platform IDE, and, especially, an easier migration for current VBA coders than moving to the javascript API.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Now I have to double click folders and files in the Open and Save menus...

The 14.6.8 update changed how the Save and Open menu boxes work. Before, on my Mac, when I use the 3 column view, I only had to click once on a folder for it to open it in the next column, and one click to view details about a file. Now I have to double click the folders and files (which opens the file instead letting me see the file details).

Please change it back to a single click to navigate through the Open and Save menu boxes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Keep Formatting Same when Change Source Data

When I click on a data series in a chart, and the blue and purple boxes come up highlighting the source data, if I move the box the formatting of the data series reverts back to defaults. I frequently need to make multiple graphs with the same formatting. It would be most convenient if the formatting I changed the data series to stayed instead of considering that a reset. The same thing happens if I right click and try to change the data set through the source data pop up window.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Print on any paper size and particularly larger than A3

I'm on Mac OS.X.11.6 and Excel 2016 (15.26). I want to print on any paper size and particularly larger than A3. Thank you not to limit the number of paper size and can set it as one would do with the older Office. (Translated from French by Google Translate)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Autodetect functions used in Excel and link me to a short video explaining how to use them

I should be able to click on ANY cell with a formula, and then a Video button lights up to the right of formula bar, which takes me to an excel website with embedded 2 min videos describing the use and construction of the specific function in the formula bar!

For example: Imagine I have something like "=If(And(Or(xyz)))" typed into a cell, and I can't figure out how to make it work.

If i click the cell -> then click the video button that is now lit up, I should be taken to a webpage where the construction of IF…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Mathematics and equations tool is really slow & unintuitive.

My biggest gripe with Excel 2016 is the fact it's SLOW!
    I mean, startup for this app is ridiculous on both mac and PC, but on MAC? Oh my! It's insanely slow. If you get the app open (12 min too late), you have now the most RAM hungry app in your computer open. It's not necessarily that you're even processing anything in the moment. Or generating random numbers. It's actually just that it's really ram hungry.

I can only tell you my most frustrating moments in Excel are when it literally will just give me a spinning color ball…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make Excel in Office 2011 for Mac compatible with OS X El Capitan

Excel files with macros have slow response with beach balling every time the mouse is clicked.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Don't prompt to save at opening a file

As soon as I open a file, Excel believes that there a changes to the file, just because there are formulas in the workbook, and automatic evaluation of formulas is on by default. This is annoying because I cannot only open a workbook to quickly take a look at something and close again, without being prompted to save 'changes'.

I would like this behaviour to be like in Windows, where formulas are also evaluated automatically by default, but Excel considers only my manual changes as true changes.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Remove the addition of "Local Paths" To Hyperlinks, rendering them broken after moving the Spreadsheet in Excel for Mac 2011-2016.

i.e

I set a hyperlink as file://localhost/Volumes/Archive/Video Content
    I save I exit the Document. Share it with a user.

The path is correct, however , reopening, Excel forces an addition an becomes,
    i.e file://localhost/users/archive/../..//Volumes/Archive/Video Content

This of course starts to causes issues.

Please contact me should a update for this be in the process.
    Thank you.
    glen_burger@yahoo.com

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Ask to break links when sending a workbook by email

This goes for Windows and Mac versions. Every day I receive workbooks by email that are linked to some server or PC in one country or another, increasing the file size and bogging down my machine as Excel tries to unlink the files, sometimes unsuccessfully, turning the cells to zeros.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. fix the filter. It is now extremely slow to filter a column.

When you open the dialog box to filter, the cursor is in a useless box instead of where you can type. Once you start typing to filter, you have to wait a ridiculous amount of time between letters or numbers on a sheet with 9000 rows. And this with 16 GB of ram, 2.6 core i7, and 1 TB SSD. Filtering was much better on 2011.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Graph Select Data Y -Axis text entry field bad with long text in text box

In the “Select Data” for a graph, if you are trying to edit an existing “ axis range which has a long text (i.e the range is longer than fits in the edit box) then it is difficult to move the text entry point/cursor to the part outside the edit box. Using the left and right cursor movement keys changes the selection range rather than moving the text entry cursor. the dialog is of fixed size so you cannot widen the dialog/lengthen the text entry box.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the great feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

16. Please Add Quick Analysis for Formatting

Quick Analysis is available on Windows Excel 2016, but not Mac 2016 - please add.

229 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. watch window - to watch the value of cell in excel

Can we please have a Watch Window where we can see / monitor when the value in the cell which is being watched is changed. This functionality is available in Excel for windows under Formula's Ribbon under Audit formula section

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add analysis services connection

Connect to SAAS cubes

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Direct Paste Value (Text)

with Excel for Windows there is a Right click past as 'text' option which was super helpful when when building price lists for example where you grabbing data from various sources and wanting to pate unformatted text or pase while not messing with the existing cell formatting. Need a paste as text shortcut or Right click pate text option. Mac does have a default Paste as text shortcut (Shift ALT Apple Key V) but the combo is not friendly,

Right now you have to choose Paste Special, Value which is time consuming if you doing it allot.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. default pref choosen ws format forced to an existing worksheet

I noticed that there is a setting that forced every opened WS to set to dirty state ( unsaved state) and when saved it will use/forced a different, the set default WS format.
    This setting is found, preferences > tab Compatilibity > preffered file format. The popover note says, that I can set this to the one that I used most, but not that it forces me to change an existing WS format to that format.
    So, instead that it is used only with a new document, where and when I do expect it to effect on, Excel doesn't respect…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base