Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. the most recent update for office 2011 for mac breaks excel save on osx sierra 10.12.3

the most recent update for office 2011 for mac breaks excel save on osx sierra 10.12.3 please fix as it renders excel unusable for saving!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. DATE function start date 1/1/1900

The date 1/1/1900 is serial # 1 in Excel as though that was the first day in time. Hence, in dealing with immigration from the 1800s - 1900s (for example, the idiot known as Donald Trump and his Nazi/Communist kin, Microsoft Excel cannot delineate between 1911 and 1811. This goes well beyond the lack of apparent disinterest in providing similar levels of customer service, or product or brand experience. This is about charging the same price for a vastly inferior product. More often than not, functions beyond simple 10-key and numerical operators are discovered to be 'undoable on a Mac.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Stock Quotes

Add formula to add stock quotes in realtime, like google sheets has the ability to do. I don't want to run a excel add-on to find these quotes. This would be very helpful.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. conditional cell formatting

Like in google sheets, provided conditional cell formatting. For example, in cell C1, if the value is above zero, the cell's text will turn green. If below zero, the cell's text will turn red.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. What you have done with the text? It's virtually unreadable!

I've just upgraded to 16.9, and now the text is much less legible and hard to read.

I don't know why you've done this or how you could even manage to do this?

The text is now wishy-washy and makes me now want to even look at my spreadsheets, never mind show them anyone else.

I'll figure out how to roll back, and that's the end of updates for me until this is fixed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Test before release

Not an angry pointed suggestion but these days so many releases I'm immediately finding bugs meaning I have to revert to an earlier version. To the point where I now always make backup copies of Excel & OneNote before allowing an update as well as checking Time Machine is up-to-date. And I'm reverting to those backups so often it's getting a bit daft and I'm now at the point of looking at LibreOffice. Maybe a few votes to get Microsoft to put a bit more effort into pre-release testing.

I can appreciate there is pressure to get new features out…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Stop Messing Up Row Height

release 16.9 sees the return of the bug that automatically increases row heights on some sheets - completely messes-up layout of sheets.

Was this release actually tested? (pretty disastrous to have this - I've had to downgrade to 15.41)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Put Ribbon Icons/Controls back to previous release size!

release 16.9 has slightly larger icons and controls in the ribbon making it larger (taking more vertical screen space. No good reason for this and we don't all have 42" screens - so put it back how it was and restore the previous icon size.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. changing the number of recent files in Excel for Mac

Please add and match functionality to allow Mac Users to be able to change the number of recent files in Excel (and Word, too) from the preset of 10.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. For Windows, you can change the number of recent files to show in excel which Excel for Mac doesn’t support. I understand it is inconvenient

Please add and match functionality to allow Mac Users to be able to change the number of recent files in Excel (and Word, too) from the preset of 10.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Conditional format date-range option

The conditional format date options are too limited. When working with historical data - even last year's tax! - you may want to highlight dates that fall outside that tax year, for example. There is no simple way to set that range of dates.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Not working anymore the shift+cmd+* shortcut!!

Hi!

Could you please help me with the following issue related to this post?
    I have Excel 2016 in a Mac and previously I was using the following shortcut to select ONLY VISIBLE ROWS from filtered data:

SHIFT + CMD + *

After that I could copy the data and will copy only the visible information and not the hidden information, or I could delete only the visible rows without deleting the hidden ones.

But a month or so ago after an update I cannot longer do that and when I do SHIFT + CMD + * what it does…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Date format addition

Please add the date format option to have the date read as 01/01/2018.

This option is not available in Mac version 14.5.7

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Excel 16.8 not loading custom workbook and sheet templates in Startup folder

Since updating to 16.8, Excel does not open the template files in the Startup folder. Please fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Automatically Re-open Excel Files on Reboot or Login

Mac Excel doesn't support native Mac application behaviours such as Sudden Termination and User Interface Preservation.

In practice what this means, is that whenever you log off, reboot, or hard reboot, Excel will not open the files which you were previously editing, but will pop up an open file dialog (or worse, a popup stating that Excel was improperly shut down; and this popup consumes 100% cpu until Excel is clicked on).

Mac users are not usually subjected to these very Windows-like practices.

The usual Mac experience with shutting down, logging off, or re-booting, is that when you log on…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Loading and deled files

Loading files with my new excell 2016 takes an extremely long time compared to my previous excell 2011.
    The program also requires an infinite amount of charging time when removing, copying and pasting.
    Gladly a solution for this problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Clearly and easily indicate page breaks on multiple page print area.

During PRINT SETUP routine, clearly and easily add page breaks to visualize (and adjust) how current settings will appear when printed. I have seen this feature on previous versions of Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix hyperlink

I upgraded from Excel 2011 to Office 365 subscription for use on iMac running Sierra 10.13.2.
    For my excel spreadsheets, whereas previous 2011 version with hyperlinks opening jpg images in the hyperlink function was no problem
    In the latest version, I get the message additional permissions required then I have to grant access having looked through lists of jpg images. Please fix this UPGRADED' version of excel for mac.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base