Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. please make excel automatically save all the files every 5 minutes

Please make excel automatically save files every 5 minutes. Its super annoying when my computer shuts down on it's own and my whole days work is lost on excel because I did not manually save it

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. You can start by FIXING THE CAUSE OF THE RECURRING EFFING CRASHES!!!

The frequency of crashes I experience with Excel for Mac Version 14.7.2 (170228) has reached EPIC status! I also experience the unexplained crashes in my Word for Mac program. With a bajillion dollars supporting you people, one would think you could fix these errors! But NO....it's been going on for over 5 years now, through many MANY updates and to no avail. Either you people are intentionally trying to send me to the edge of going postal just for kicks and giggles or you are MORONS. Which is it?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Wont save an Excel file too many characters

Trying to save an Excel .XLS file, with a short name-I get the error message..."can't save too many characters" I reduced the name to just "Excel Sucks" and it still won't save - tried over 7 times. I do hate Microsoft and I do hate Excel - a necessary evil for work. MS - use some of your billions to fix your **** software please.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bring back keyboard shortcut for align right!

Am I missing something or are we no longer able to align right a group of cells using command+R? Looking at the list of shortcuts provided by Microsoft, "align right" is not there. This is very basic excel functionality. How could it have been removed??

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Read embedded PDFs

Unlike Excel for Windows, Excel for Mac can’t read embedded PDFs. When trying to open them, it says “Cannot start the source application for this object. There may not be enough memory available”, which is totally misleading, because the problem is that Excel for Mac doesn’t have this functionality. Please, give us a solution!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. fuzzy lookup for Mac

Fuzzy lookup for Mac

It would be great to have fuzzy lookup add-in for Mac.

169 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Excel for Mac v15.23 scrolling still broken

Just updated to v15.23 for Excel on Mac today hoping to see scrolling fixes, but nothing seems to have changed. When scrolling up in Page Layout view, the entire page above blanks out for several seconds before filling in the data on the page. Other Mac apps handle scrolling just fine and seamlessly show pages in real time as they are scrolled up/down. Excel on Mac still seems to not understand scrolling and showing data scrolling at same time!

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Why do you sell something that does not work?

Why do you sell something that does not work?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please create a function that will give you the Range (largest-smallest value)of a data set. ex.=range(a1:a13)

Please create a function that will give you the Range (largest-smallest value)of a data set. ex.=range(b1:b13).

More detail:
    Sales person: (a1) a b c d e f g h i (j1)j

(b2) 11 12 9  13 12  13  3  2   14  (j2)1  

=range(b2:j2) math: 13-1 answer: 12

Excel should look at only the highest and lowest digits within a given range and subtract the higher value from the lower.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Arrange all Feature

Please create Arrange all feature which able to view multiple workbooks on Mac, it is so important feature for me to save my time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow spreadsheets with links to other spreadsheets on network drives to work between Mac and Windows

(we have a case open with Microsoft of this: 117010515137743 )

We have two spreadsheets on a shared network drive, spreadsheet 1 has links to cells in spreadsheet 2. If we create the links on a Windows machine running Office 2016 (link looks like this: ='\staff01\staffshare\CentralDepts\Technology\NetworkServices\MSTest\Folder2[Main.xlsx]Sheet1'!$B$5), when we open the spreadsheet on a Mac running Office 2016, the link is broken! (on the Mac, the link is: ='\staff01\staffshare\CentralDepts\Technology\NetworkServices\MSTest\Folder2[Main.xlsx]Sheet1'!$B$5, which is not a valid path on the Mac).

If we fix it on the Mac, so now the path looks like this: ='\staff01\staffshare\CentralDepts\Technology\NetworkServices\MSTest\Folder2[Main.xlsx]Sheet1'!$B$5

When we open it on Windows, Excel tries…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow us to recover our Excel Passwords!!!!!!

It is NOT okay that if a password is forgotten we cannot retrieve them in any way. If you find the need to password protect your spreadsheet, odds are that it is VERY important. What good is it that you cannot retrieve a forgotten password??? Not acceptable.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. In the Filter function, please add an option "Blanks" to show blanks only in the column

In the Filter function, please add an option "Blanks" to show blanks only in the column. The blank is all the way at the bottom. Adding it at the top would help filter the blanks quickly.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. I regret very much when I access a drop-down list from a cell to see only the first sixteen elements of this list even if the size of my scr

I regret very much when I access a drop-down list from a cell to see only the first sixteen elements of this list even if the size of my screen would allow a greater number as in previous versions of excel for mac . This forces me to scroll through the window because I often have forty or fifty items in my lists and it causes me to waste a lot of time doing this manipulation.
    I do not understand what led to this restriction.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Issue with text fonts and size in graphs

EXCEL 2016
    I have a graph with x values from -2 to +10. The font type and size are consistent for the 0 to 10 labels on the X axis but the -1- and -2 labels are a different font and a larger size. And these two tables are not in alignment, being lower down than the other labels. I cannot seem to change this to make the labels all the same. Is this a glitch or yet another feature that requires another scavenger hunt.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. "Break link" command causes Excel 2016 to crash

Serious Issue in Excel 2016
    Copying a table of data or a figure from Excel 2016 to another work book retains the links to the source workbook as it should. However, there"Break Link" command causes Excel to crash. Please fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Repetitive Text Imports

The Import Wizard is fine for ad hoc, 1-off imports, but I now receive weekly TXT files with a consistent layout. There should be a way for me to "build a macro" or some "template" for the Import Wizard to use (so that I don't have to tell it each week where all the columns in these TXT files are). Set it up once, and then use that Template to import the TXT files in following weeks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Slow Excel input on Mac, Thoughts

I have had the problem and see many other also experience super slow input in Excel on certain worksheets. I have been "unfreezing" newly opened Excel spreadsheets and since then have had no issues with waiting forever for the input to populate the cell. Since then I have saved spreadsheets at work, and made sure the cells were not "froze" and saved to the Cloud. I come home to and open it on my Mac and BANG - the cells open frozen and = super slow performance. Why does it do that? Open sheets with cell's unfrozen please.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)