Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Have Excel - and other Office programs - follow current OS X standards for menus and title bars

In your info page for Office, you say:

"Unmistakably Office, designed for Mac … combining the familiarity of Office and the unique Mac features you love."

But Office 2016 seems just like Office 2011 by not updating some menu and title bar features to reflect current OS X standards. It took me a while to get used to these, but now that I have it's frustrating to expect them and find them missing. Two big ones:

• Save/Duplicate/Save As… Shift-Cmd-S is now supposed to be "Duplicate" by default in OS X, not Save As. Instead, the Option key is used to…

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, comments and votes for following OS X standards for menus and title bars. Some aspects mentioned here have been addressed, such as switching windows within Excel by pressing CMD+` (key that has ~ on it). We will continue to monitor votes and comments to prioritize accordingly with other suggestions here.

Steve K [MS Excel]

2. ALT key ribbon access

The ability to utilize the ALT keys to access any button or command on the ribbon greatly improves productivity on the PC versions of excel. Implementing this feature on the Mac version of excel would be greatly appreciated.

219 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Webservice and FilterXML functions are needed!

The Webservice and FilterXML functions are supported in Excel 2013 for Win, they are useful function and I need the same functions in my work. Please add Webservice and FilterXML functions in Excel 2016 for MAC.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bug: Excel in Office 2016 search box focus is not maintained when switching apps

I found a search focus problem when switching apps.

For example, I have multiple Excel spreadsheets open. In one of them my input cursor is in the search field at the top right. Then I use CMD+Tab to switch to another app to check a list for the next thing I want to search. Then I use CMD+Tab to switch back to Excel.

Even though the search field seems to still be selected, the input focus is actually now in a completely different open spreadsheet. So if I start typing, instead of entering a new search, I'm typing in a…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add Find all in the Mac app

IN the windows version you can click on the button find all when you are in a search box. This then shows you all cells which contain your search criteria in a list. Please add this feature to the Mac app, too!

223 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add Evaluate Formula to Mac app

Please add the evaluate formula dialogue box to the mac app. With it you can evaluate a formula step by step and see which part of the formula works and where the problem is.

435 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

77 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add support for Get & Transform (formerly Power Query)

Make Get & Transform (formerly Power Query) available in Excel for Mac (like in Excel for Windows)

3,540 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

917 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to announce that the first set of Power Query features are now available in version 16.29 and greater. At this stage you can refresh from text, CSV, XLSX, JSON and XML files.

Refer to the following blog post for more details:
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel-Blog/Get-amp-Transform-Power-Query-in-Excel-for-Mac-Phase-1/ba-p/876840

I encourage you to try the new functionality and share your feedback with us via Send a Smile/Frown at the top right corner in your Excel for Mac.

8. ODBC tables break

I have a file that uses QODBC on a remote desktop (Excel 2010) that whenever I copy to my Mac and try to open breaks. It strips the tables' connections and deletes any formula that points to the table.

Is there a way to fix this?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Horizontal scroll is not working.

When I import a text file and want to select all of the columns as text the horizontal scroll feature does not work and I can only change what ever I can see in the window to text. I use the feature on a weekly basis. This makes excel 2016 unusable for me on a Mc.

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

By setting your scroll bars to be always shown in your MacOS general settings, you are able to scroll horizontally in the text import wizard.

We will prioritize this issue accordingly with other issues based on the votes and interest that we see here.

Steve K [MS Excel]

1 2 44 45 46 48 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base