Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Consistency in the More Commands options

I have recently been looking for 3 things that I always add to my toolbar: Paste Values, Paste Formatting and Light Shading. Windows has all of these, Mac not so - and even the ones in Mac don't appear until you select the option for "items not on the toolbar". Surely the options should now be consistent between platforms, and why Paste Formatting isn't there escapes me completely. I use these all the time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Decimals with external numeric pad

When using an external numerical pad with a Mac, the dot for decimals is automatically changed into a comma, hence the figures are not recognized as numbers but as text (even though the Mac and Excel settings for decimals are set to dots).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. AutoSum Shft+Alt+T Bug

Can you please fix the auto sum keyboard shortcut Alt+T to behave like that of Excel 2011 and the Windows Version? It seems like the behavior is broken in Excel 2016. It sums a column of numbers way to fast and doesn't let you see the selection and then press enter to except it. Also, when summing from the side of a column, it does a fast 1 cell sum. In order to make this keyboard shortcut behave correctly you need to hold down Shift+Alt+T until the selection is paused so you can then hit enter or make an expanded…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Update tooltips and autocomplete/auto suggest to match Windows version functionality

I've encountered two major differences between the Mac and Windows version that have to do with the auto-suggestion of 1) arguments for functions that require specific inputs, and 2) structured references. (Screenshots attached)

1) Take SUBTOTAL() for example, whose first argument is a function_num which must be a number 1 through 11 which correspond to other functions like SUM, AVERAGE, etc. In the Windows version, these are presented to you as soon as you type the function, but in the Mac version you either need to have the numbers memorized, or look it up in the help.

2) Excel for…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. stop selling ****

You can stop producing excel for Mac, it just doesn't work, it will be a gain of time and money for everybody

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Excel Preview on Mac

The Excel Mac preview is very small. This is unlike a PC where the image is much larger and easier to read. Also, there is no preview shortcut on the tool bar.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Excel launching options

Please restore the option for Excel to open the last workbook in use when launched, not the wretched Workbook 1, which I have to close 99.99% of the time, and then reopen what I really want to work on.
    This feature was there in 2008, and Googling it shows that lots of people obviously want it back.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Page orientation for printing should default to how document setting so it doesn't have to be re-set every time you print for every sheet.

Page orientation set in an Excel document/worksheet should stay put until the user changes it and it should print in that orientation unless otherwise changed during print. It should not revert to portrait (in both worksheet & printer) whenever print is selected. Hence, you should be able to have a workbook that contains worksheets of both portrait and landscape orientation and be able to print them all together. This is an unbelievable shortcoming.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Cursor not properly positioned when editing directly inside cell

Another user posted this issue and it's been marked as "completed". Many of us are still having the same problem more than a year after the fix was rolled out. I am reposting it as an issue.

Original description: I found out that if you have longer texts (>20 chars) inside an Excel Cell and you try to edit them the more you get to the right of the text the more the cursor is drawn off to the left of the characters it is actually between. Cursor Position seems to be calculated wrong. I am using Standard Calibri Font.…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Mac numeric keyboard changing from dot to comma

Dear sir or madam,
    As soon as I upgraded to office 365 on my MAC, I have this really irritated problem:
    When I input numbers as accounting or currency in the sheet, I usually use the numeric keyboard (which is on the right side of the keyboard). Beforehand I use the dot (.) as the comma (,) in this numeric keyboard in the oud version excel (2011). But with the new excel 2016, the dot (.) appears to be the dot (.). So I have to use the comma key on the other side of the keyboard, which is near…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Conditional formatting - Apply to named ranges

Currently if you apply conditional formatting to a named range (i.e. a range named via the Name Manager or a table style named-range), the value in the "Applies to" column of the Conditional Formatting Rules Manager will immediately revert the named range to its absolute cell reference.

eg. "Applies to: =Table1[Column3]" becomes "Applies to: =$C$2:$C$7".

Apart from being more difficult to read, it creates other complexities. For example, if I insert a new column into this range, it creates a mess in the rules manager, creating a new rule for each cell pasted.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix the Basic bugs so many have complained about. Is the Office of the President aware of the Mac Business Unit's refusal to help?

There are an incredible number of basic bugs that Microsoft refuses to address. For instance, 90% of the time I delete data from a cell, I must scroll up and then down for the worksheet view to appear blank. That is, deleting data from a cell, does in fact delete the data but the grid view of the cell still looks as though the data has not been deleted. I'm fed up with these kinds of basic bugs. Excel 2016 for Mac was released almost 2 years ago. I will be contacting MSFT's Office the President to inform them of…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. The Mac Excel 2017 always lag

The Mac Excel 2017 always lag.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Be able to bring hair line in excel for Mac

Be able to bring hair line in excel for Mac

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. functions fail unless = is find and replaced with =

this is a new bug 7.10.2107
    previously when enter any formula e.g = VLOOKUIP(.... the formula would automatically compute. Now I need to replace the fx provided = with a find and replace =

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow INSERT of Rows in Table with Locked Columns

I would like to provide a table to a user where the formula (calculated columns) are Locked. I do this by Locking the relevant column(s) and protecting the worksheet. When I do this, the user cannot extend the table by inserting rows. It seems this cannot be done in the Windows version either. A chance for the Mac developers to take the lead!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Honor the "Keep Windows" part of "Quit and Keep Windows"

(This goes not just for Excel, but for all apps in the Office 2016 for Mac suite.)

I usually have multiple documents open that I work on simultaneously. If I quit Excel, I want all of those documents to re-open the next time I use Excel. Otherwise I have to re-open each of them individually.

If I hold the Option key while clicking on the Excel dropdown at the top-left of the screen, the "Quit Excel" selection is changed to "Quit and Keep Windows." But when I quit Excel in this fashion, the windows I had open do NOT re-open…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Decimal separator

Decimal separator

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. fix column selection ( click column header on another WS ) in formula

When I have a formula in worksheet 5 and want to select for inside the formula column worksheet3!K:K I get worksheet3!A:N.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix the problem where the entire program runs so slowly it's unusable.

This program is excruciatingly slow. Every small function such as copy and paste takes minutes. I don't see how Microsoft Excel has any market share given how painfully slow it is. I've been an Excel user for years, but I'm strongly considering changing. Worst program ever.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base