Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow us to recover our Excel Passwords!!!!!!

It is NOT okay that if a password is forgotten we cannot retrieve them in any way. If you find the need to password protect your spreadsheet, odds are that it is VERY important. What good is it that you cannot retrieve a forgotten password??? Not acceptable.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. In the Filter function, please add an option "Blanks" to show blanks only in the column

In the Filter function, please add an option "Blanks" to show blanks only in the column. The blank is all the way at the bottom. Adding it at the top would help filter the blanks quickly.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I regret very much when I access a drop-down list from a cell to see only the first sixteen elements of this list even if the size of my scr

I regret very much when I access a drop-down list from a cell to see only the first sixteen elements of this list even if the size of my screen would allow a greater number as in previous versions of excel for mac . This forces me to scroll through the window because I often have forty or fifty items in my lists and it causes me to waste a lot of time doing this manipulation.
    I do not understand what led to this restriction.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Issue with text fonts and size in graphs

EXCEL 2016
    I have a graph with x values from -2 to +10. The font type and size are consistent for the 0 to 10 labels on the X axis but the -1- and -2 labels are a different font and a larger size. And these two tables are not in alignment, being lower down than the other labels. I cannot seem to change this to make the labels all the same. Is this a glitch or yet another feature that requires another scavenger hunt.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. "Break link" command causes Excel 2016 to crash

Serious Issue in Excel 2016
    Copying a table of data or a figure from Excel 2016 to another work book retains the links to the source workbook as it should. However, there"Break Link" command causes Excel to crash. Please fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Repetitive Text Imports

The Import Wizard is fine for ad hoc, 1-off imports, but I now receive weekly TXT files with a consistent layout. There should be a way for me to "build a macro" or some "template" for the Import Wizard to use (so that I don't have to tell it each week where all the columns in these TXT files are). Set it up once, and then use that Template to import the TXT files in following weeks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Slow Excel input on Mac, Thoughts

I have had the problem and see many other also experience super slow input in Excel on certain worksheets. I have been "unfreezing" newly opened Excel spreadsheets and since then have had no issues with waiting forever for the input to populate the cell. Since then I have saved spreadsheets at work, and made sure the cells were not "froze" and saved to the Cloud. I come home to and open it on my Mac and BANG - the cells open frozen and = super slow performance. Why does it do that? Open sheets with cell's unfrozen please.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. "Paste as pdf" feature is not working properly

Excel 365 (2016) issue. This is a big problem for me.
    I very frequently copy content from Excel to paste into reports and other documents in WORD. In earlier Excel versions, the most efficient and highest resolution method to do this is to highlight the cells/tables/graph or other content in Excel, copy it. and paste in Word as a pdf. In Excel 2016, Paste as PDF is still an option but the resulting paste does not retain the formatting of the original content, which defeats the purpose of pasting as a pdf. The only other option to get a high…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Excel - Format a comment in every way, not just text. Essential.

Formatting a comment, not just the text, is essential. Comments are mini Notes & need to highlighted in many ways. I don't have a sheet without Comments & I use Excel more that Word. In versions before the subscription version you could format a comment completely. Tried using call outs but need to preserve roll-over function as wells permeant view of comments.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please fix the recommended pivot table button

When clicking the recommended pivottable button it doesn't bring up box with recommended pivot tables.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. support searching on Mac OS for unicode characters e.g. 0x000D carriage return

support searching for unicode characters e.g. 0x000D carriage return.

Many data sources use 0x0D for a carriage return.

There are times where it needs to be replaced with something else, like a tab character.

"Carriage return" is often present in imported text.
    Also it can be created by Option-Command-Enter (useful in making a list within a cell), or
    using the Apple Unicode Hex Input keyboard by holding option and typing the 4 digit hex code Option-000D

When searching for this character in Excel 2011 (or Word 2011) for Mac, Microsoft instead finds the space character.

In the attached file (the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Mac Excel 2016 buttons

Macro-activating buttons (and others) that worked fine in Mac Excel 2011 don't transfer to 2016 upgrade.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Stop trying to sell, and support your customers.

How about actually forwarding your customers to a helpful site when they select the help tab? Instead it just goes to a marketing page to buy a different program.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fixed Width Data Import Wizard Needs Scroll Bars Like Windows Version

The fixed width data import wizard does not allow horizontal or vertical scrolling in the data preview like it does in the Windows version. This makes it impossible to create or edit Connections for complex text data files. I see at least one other person here with the same request and the issue is far from a new one to me.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Pivot Table Field List Improvements Request

For the Pivot Table Field list, can you please have the option to make this dockable on the right like in windows excel? Please increase the size of the field name box. it starts off so small or allow (like in windows excel) the option to have the field boxes aligned vertically. Thanks.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Pivot Table Auto-filtering

When doing a search in a Pivot Table, the data is not not get auto filtered as it does in a non-pivotable Filter. After you type in the search item you then have to uncheck the select all box and re-select the checkbox of the item you are searching for to filter the data. Please fix. Thank you.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Filter Drop Down Menu Search Box

When invoking a filter drop down menu, can you please have the cursor start in the search box instead of the sort button? it is more usable to have the cursor there instead of on the sort button.Screenshot attached. Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Validation drop down with freeze panes issue

There is a little glitch when using a table column with validation from a drop down list combined with a freeze pane (see attached for an example). This is in Office 2016 for Mac OS.

The drop down arrow is not visible if the table is scrolled off to the right. Here is what I see....

1. Create a table with multiple columns

2. Add validation to the first column to choose from a list, in a drop down

3. Freeze panes at the first row of the second column, so that the table headings and the first column are always visible when…
    6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make Mac versions and Windows versions open the files with the same column width, font sizes, and margins

Currently, a column 215 px wide on a Mac (Excel 2015) will open at 251 px on a PC (Excel 2010 and 2016).
    also, fonts are not the same size. Bookman 8 words in the 215 px will not fit in 251 px.
    And the windows version does not maintain the margin settings of the Mac file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base