Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add ability to highlight active row/column

Add the ability to highlight the active row and column that we've currently clicked on; would be useful for both windows and mac

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. ComboBox menu in UserForm partially hidden for the user

In recent version 15.38 (170902), ComboBox menu in UserForm appears in the background of a UserForm and is therefore partially hidden by the UserForm itself (and not accessible by the User).
    See attached file.
    Sincerely

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Lose all the circa 1980s modal dialogue box stuff

Interesting you don't have a Category for "Usability"!

If i want to change background colours for a group of cells I have to click 3 times all at different places on the screen to bring up the macOS colour picker, the only place I can store my own custom colours, just to do it. Where as in Numbers I can just click the floating colour palate if I have the Cells sidebar up (I prefered Numbers and all the iWork apps when almost everything was floating palettes than side bars which although not modal means more clicking)

This is just…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Better shortcut for editing a cells text/formula than "cntr" + "u"

This is such a cludge, how about something very easy to remember and hit on the keyboard like "cmd" +"enter" or "cntr" + "return". I use this 5 times a minute and sick to death of "cntr" + "u" which also deprives me of a macro shortcut for unhide.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Interpolation function for Excel

When you have a number in cell A1, say it is "10" and then another number in cell J1 and it is "100" it would be great to have a function to do linear interpolation (lerp) between the two numbers without having to resort to long and complicated formula that is easy to get wrong.

Function LERP:
    =LERP(startvaluecell, endvaluecell) for a simple useage
    or
    =LERP2(startvalue, rangefirstcell, endvalue, rangeendcell)

So using LERP and my example:
    A1= "10" , B1=LERP(A1, J1), C1=LERP(A1,J1), D1=LERP(A1,J1),…I1=LEPR(A1, J1), J1="100"

SO USING LERP2 and my example
    A1="10",…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Maximise window the way macOS apps are supposed to

When you click the maximise green circle in top left of a document window it now goes to full screen mode. "Option" + clicking does what the older version of the green circle did with the original OS X and many other iterations for most apps. For some reason Microsoft has not got the memo "Human Interface Guides" was never something MS paid too much attention to unfortunately, just implement maximise please.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Format of data from database

When I open files exported from sql database, the numbers appear, but none can be used. Columns that need to be summed need to be converted to numbers ("Columns to text", then choosing finish, since converting cell by cell takes minutes) or columns to text, choosing text if it is a mixed column of numbers and text that need to be referenced.

Excel should be able to open them to work with them however, not just as general data that is neither text or value.

The text problem is related to the way vlookup works where it needs to either…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. When saving an xls file, as an xlsx, give the option to replace the xls.

Files from my company server are all in xls format, but as I work on them I want to save them in xlsx that has the formating and is much smaller in size. As it is, I have to save it to xlsx and then remember to go in and delete the xls file.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Consistency in the More Commands options

I have recently been looking for 3 things that I always add to my toolbar: Paste Values, Paste Formatting and Light Shading. Windows has all of these, Mac not so - and even the ones in Mac don't appear until you select the option for "items not on the toolbar". Surely the options should now be consistent between platforms, and why Paste Formatting isn't there escapes me completely. I use these all the time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Decimals with external numeric pad

When using an external numerical pad with a Mac, the dot for decimals is automatically changed into a comma, hence the figures are not recognized as numbers but as text (even though the Mac and Excel settings for decimals are set to dots).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. AutoSum Shft+Alt+T Bug

Can you please fix the auto sum keyboard shortcut Alt+T to behave like that of Excel 2011 and the Windows Version? It seems like the behavior is broken in Excel 2016. It sums a column of numbers way to fast and doesn't let you see the selection and then press enter to except it. Also, when summing from the side of a column, it does a fast 1 cell sum. In order to make this keyboard shortcut behave correctly you need to hold down Shift+Alt+T until the selection is paused so you can then hit enter or make an expanded…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Update tooltips and autocomplete/auto suggest to match Windows version functionality

I've encountered two major differences between the Mac and Windows version that have to do with the auto-suggestion of 1) arguments for functions that require specific inputs, and 2) structured references. (Screenshots attached)

1) Take SUBTOTAL() for example, whose first argument is a function_num which must be a number 1 through 11 which correspond to other functions like SUM, AVERAGE, etc. In the Windows version, these are presented to you as soon as you type the function, but in the Mac version you either need to have the numbers memorized, or look it up in the help.

2) Excel for…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. stop selling ****

You can stop producing excel for Mac, it just doesn't work, it will be a gain of time and money for everybody

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Excel Preview on Mac

The Excel Mac preview is very small. This is unlike a PC where the image is much larger and easier to read. Also, there is no preview shortcut on the tool bar.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Excel launching options

Please restore the option for Excel to open the last workbook in use when launched, not the wretched Workbook 1, which I have to close 99.99% of the time, and then reopen what I really want to work on.
    This feature was there in 2008, and Googling it shows that lots of people obviously want it back.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Page orientation for printing should default to how document setting so it doesn't have to be re-set every time you print for every sheet.

Page orientation set in an Excel document/worksheet should stay put until the user changes it and it should print in that orientation unless otherwise changed during print. It should not revert to portrait (in both worksheet & printer) whenever print is selected. Hence, you should be able to have a workbook that contains worksheets of both portrait and landscape orientation and be able to print them all together. This is an unbelievable shortcoming.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Cursor not properly positioned when editing directly inside cell

Another user posted this issue and it's been marked as "completed". Many of us are still having the same problem more than a year after the fix was rolled out. I am reposting it as an issue.

Original description: I found out that if you have longer texts (>20 chars) inside an Excel Cell and you try to edit them the more you get to the right of the text the more the cursor is drawn off to the left of the characters it is actually between. Cursor Position seems to be calculated wrong. I am using Standard Calibri Font.…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Mac numeric keyboard changing from dot to comma

Dear sir or madam,
    As soon as I upgraded to office 365 on my MAC, I have this really irritated problem:
    When I input numbers as accounting or currency in the sheet, I usually use the numeric keyboard (which is on the right side of the keyboard). Beforehand I use the dot (.) as the comma (,) in this numeric keyboard in the oud version excel (2011). But with the new excel 2016, the dot (.) appears to be the dot (.). So I have to use the comma key on the other side of the keyboard, which is near…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base