Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add recent Excel Windows functions to Mac version

A bunch of great new functions just went into the Windows version of Excel: https://blogs.office.com/2016/02/23/6-new-excel-functions-that-simplify-your-formula-editing-experience/

Please add them to the Mac version ASAP!

172 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

40 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi All – with the latest update to Excel for Mac (version 16.x), there are new functions, including IFS and SWITCH, to go along with CONCAT, TEXTJOIN, MAXIFS, and MINIFS. These new functions are available to Office 365 subscribers.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

2. Fix column width dialog box to accept units in points, not inches

Dear Microsoft. How can I change column width measurements in Excel 2016 for Mac from inches back to characters or points, as in Excel for Windows?

I recently started using Excel 2016 for Mac to test templates for sharing compatibility between the Windows and Mac platforms.

After selecting one or multiple columns, and then right-clicking and selecting Column Width, one would normally enter points into the dialog box. But in Excel 2016 for Mac I am forced to enter inches instead of points. Ironically, when I grab a column border in the column heading, I am able to resize the…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for requesting this update. This has been fixed and you should see the column width shown in characters and row height in pixels in the dialog. Please update to Excel for Mac version 15.34 or greater to see this.

3. 'Select all' in the address bar

Command+A in the address bar or triple clicking on a cell doesn't select all the text in a cell any more! Can you please put that back? I have a lot of semi-repetitive labels that each need slight editing and the new update has made it hard! Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make VBA code designed in Excel 2013 (PC) compatable! Cannot run pivot chart code!

Make the code that is designed on the PC work on the Mac. Spent a lot of time developing a workbook with code to automate building pivit tables and pivit charts. The pivot table code works. The pivot chart code bombs and am unable to find alternate code!

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix the Broken Carat in the Formula Bar

The formula bar in Excel is horrendously broken. The carat randomly skips around and you cannot highlight text properly which makes it impossible to accurately edit formulas. This is especially heinous with long formulas, however this occurs with formulas OF ANY LENGTH.

Here is a video of this infuriating behavior:

https://vimeo.com/165402559

63 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Flash Fill For Mac

Flash Fill For Mac

304 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

96 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news! Flash Fill is now available in Excel for Mac if you upgrade to version 16.13 or greater. To use it, you need to click the Flash Fill button or press CTRL+E, since it won’t happen automatically as it does in Excel for Windows.

7. Enable coauthoring (co-auth) between multiple users (don't lock files)

(2016-03-01 Title updated for clarity by Dan [MS])

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. I would like to have the formula bar as a Mac user

Please add the formula bar for Mac users to increase the font size

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

We have this functionality already – the formula bar exists on all versions of Excel.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

9. Fix Solver after update 15.19.1

After the update 15.19.1 the picking problem is fixed. But now solver don't work anymore. When you try to solve a problem nothing happens.
    Please fix this!!

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Several issues with Solver have been fixed since this suggestion was posted, so I am marking this post as completed. If specific issues are noticed, please post the details about what you are seeing. More detail is better, so that we can try to reproduce and investigate the issue.

Steve K [MS Excel]

10. Freeze Panes broken in 15.19.1

Frozen rows and columns scroll into the unfrozen area at the top and left when scrolling to the top row or leftmost column. After scrolling into the frozen cells, clicking the the top or leftmost unfrozen cell selects multiple cells equal to the number of frozen rows and columns.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is fixed as of 15.20, which was released in May (so if you haven’t updated, please do!)

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

older—————————————-

Hi all,

We know that this broke in 15.19.1, and we’ve got a fix that will be in 15.20.

Sorry for the inconvenience. It should be that once you scroll down, so that the duplicated rows are no longer shown, they won’t be shown again.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

11. default workbook

Please tell us where (and how, if necessary) we can change the default workbook.

If that is not currently accessible to users, please add it.

I have tried to create my own default workbook in the Templates and Startup folders, both with and without a file extension, but all to no avail.

Word allows us to create our own Normal.dotm in the Templates folder and that gets used for word defaults. Be nice if Excel did it in a similar way.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix navigation arrows for worksheet tabs in full screen view

When using excel on a mac in full screen view the arrows that appear to the very left of the first tab name do not work. This is super frustrating when you are using workbooks with many tabs that overflow the width of the screen. Switching through them with keyboard shortcuts to get to a tab that is off screen is very tedious.
    This functionality returns in non-full screen views.

47 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Page Break Preview view

Please implement the "Page Break Preview" view like in Excel 2016 (Windows Version)

42 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This request has been completed. You can now find the Page Break Preview button next to the Page Layout View button on both the ribbon and in the status bar. Thanks again to everyone who asked for and voted for this suggestion.

Steve K [MS Excel]

14. Introduce an equivalent to F2 on PC to edit and F4 to make cell references absolute

Introduce a shortcut to make cell references absolute like F4 on PC version (F2 edit equivalent would be helpful too)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If a function key doesn’t work as you expect it to, press the FN key in addition to the function key. If you don’t want to press the FN key each time, you can change your Apple system preferences:

Go to Apple > System Preferences > Keyboard.

On the Keyboard tab, select the check box for Use all F1, F2, etc. as standard function keys.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

15. Proper compatibility with 2011, scaling and sizes all over the place

Each time I open a 2011 file in 2016 the cell and page sizes are all wrong and previously well presented documents look terrible. Each time I open it I have to waste time resizing everything to work in 2016

65 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all your comments and votes supporting this suggestion. There are some differences which have been introduced so that Excel for Mac can align closer with Excel for Windows, so in some cases you will need to adjust your documents. One reason for the differences is how Excel determines the column width in your spreadsheets, which you can read more about here – https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/214123/description-of-how-column-widths-are-determined-in-excel.

16. Allow for personalised data labels in XY scatter plots

In Excel 2016 for Mac there is no way to (easily) insert personalised labels to an XY scatter plot (like in the 2013 version for Windows, for instance...). In the Windows version (which I know best) there was the possibility to choose values for the labels that were not part of the XY plot itself but that option does not exist for the (2016) Mac version I can modify a few labels manually but with hundreds of point it is very complicated...
    I believe this feature is of utmost relevance!!

311 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This work has been completed, so you can now use values from cells as the data labels in your charts. Just make sure you install the update to version 16.39 or greater.

To update, simply go to the Help menu and choose Check for Updates.

For more information about how to use this feature in your charts, see this article – https://support.microsoft.com/office/add-or-remove-data-labels-in-a-chart-884bf2f1-2e29-454e-8b42-f467c9f4eb2d#ID0EAACAAA=macOS

17. Printing vertical and horizontal worksheets

When printing within a workbook that has both vertical and horizontal work sheets the page orientations all become vertical or horizontal rather than maintaining the original orientation.

92 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This issue has been fixed and the fix will be available in version 16.35 or greater. You can get the fix in the monthly update available in March 2020, or you can get it sooner by opting into the Insiders Program and getting the Fast updates. To opt into the Insiders Program, go to the help menu and choose Check for updates. Then click the Advanced button and opt into the program and make sure you choose Fast updates.

Previously, orientation and paper size settings on individual worksheets were being overridden by the setting in the Print dialog. This meant that if you had 1 sheet to print in Portrait, and another in Landscape, you had to print them separately, otherwise they would both print in the same orientation. The settings were removed from the print dialog and now should be set on the Page Layout tab of the ribbon…

18. No more warnings about saving as CSV, especially when I didn't change anything

I don't know how many hundreds (thousands?) of times I've told Excel that, yes, I really truly do mean to save this file as a CSV. I recognize that not all users will understand that CSV doesn't do cool formulas or formatting, etc., but I do and I still want to do it. And I want to do it a lot. Please, give me a way to opt out of these useless warnings!

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2016-09-07

We’re done – you should no longer get a warning dialog about data loss when saving a file as CSV, as long as the file was originally opened as a CSV file.

Instead, we’ve added a non-intrusive business bar (that you can ignore if you choose) that let’s you quickly Save As the file if you have made changes that are not savable in CSV; if you ignore it and just Save, we’ll just save out the CSV values as you’d expect.

We actually rolled this out starting on August 22, 2016 with build 15.25 for O365 users. Later builds have this update as well of course.

Thanks for participating in UserVoice – we definitely value your input. You can now use whatever votes you’d allocated for this idea for other ideas.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

19. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Maintain copied data on the clipboard even if the "dancing ants" aren't shown around the copied range

I understand that the clipboard can use A lot of memory, but It is sooo frustrating having to re copy everything because I accidently clicked in the wrong cell before pasting.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The clipboard is now persistent in some cases where it would have been cleared in the past. For example, if you copy some cells, and then insert a new sheet, you can paste the copied cells. In the past, the clipboard would have been cleared when you inserted the new sheet.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base