Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add local Mac support for Auto-save

In earlier versions of Office for Mac (e.g. 2011) the auto-save function saved a copy to wherever on the Mac hard drive you desired - either a native folder, or iCloud or DropBox. Then 2016 and Office 365 came along and slyly required you to license OneDrive in order for this function to work. FOUL PLAY! Make it work on the native hard drive and other (more popular) cloud file-sharing services again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add local Mac support for Auto-save

In earlier versions of Office for Mac (e.g. 2011) the auto-save function saved a copy to wherever on the Mac hard drive you desired - either a native folder, or iCloud or DropBox. Then 2016 and Office 365 came along and slyly required you to license OneDrive in order for this function to work. FOUL PLAY! Make it work on the native hard drive and other (more popular) cloud file-sharing services again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Embed images in cells

Users should have the ability to embed and image into a cell, so that when you sort data alphabetically, the image moves with its respective column. If google sheets can do this, so can Excel. The "move and size with cells" as well as "move but don't size with cells" options do nothing to help when alphabetizing other data in the same row.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Cell formats in Excel for Mac

When modifying the format of a cell in Excel for MAC, one should be able to either save a custom format (currently it disappears when you shut Excel) or edit a default style or add a style to the drop down list. I have a date format I like and have to re-create if every time I want to apply it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Find & Select on Excel for Mac

In the Windows equivalent, there is a "Find & Select" drowp-down menu on the "Home" tab. One of the useful features of this menu is the "Select Objects" cursor which allows you to select multiple objects with the cursor rather than with the mouse one by one (which does get annoying of you have many screenshots attached to the sheet.

It would be incredibly useful to have his feature added to the Mac version of Excel!!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. VBA compatibility between Office 2016(16.16...) and Office 2019 (16.26)

I recently notice that files saved with Office 2016 do not work on Office 2019 (16.26) and vice et versa. Either crash or showing compilation error or internal errors with librairy. It was not the case with Office 2019 (16.25).
    Please fix...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Map 3D para Mac!!!

That is an absurd I cannot use it if I pay the same price for the Office!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Customize Touch Bar

Please add the option to "Customize Touch Bar" for MacBook Pro's. It's usually found under "View" in just about any other application, but unfortunately not within Microsoft Office products.
    While Excel does have a set of standardized Touch Bar buttons, you can't change them to what you might use most often, rendering it fairly useless.
    Apple has had a Touch Bar feature since 2016 so it's not exactly a new feature. I understand that Apple is a competitor, but please put the "Customize Touch Bar" feature into your products!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please include the option to open Form Responses in Excel 365 in addition to opening or downloading in to Excel on the desktop.

In Google forms, you can view responses in a spreadsheet format. On my MacBook, it only gives me option to open it in the desktop application. I'd like to be able to access the live versions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. When creating forms, I'd like to be able to rearrange my questions instead of deletng them and recreating it again later.

In Google forms, questions can be rearranged after you've created them. I can't do this in Office forms. Please add that feature. It is too cumbersome to have to delete the question(s) and rewrite them if you need to reorder the questions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Paste Values

Bring back Paste as Values ribbon and keyboard shortcut. These are basic commands that shouldn't require multiple steps to get the required result.

Why do you remove key functionality when releasing new product versions, it's extremely frustrating.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. I want a refund for my purchase of Office 2019 for Mac. I have been unable to Activate Office for Mac 2019 for 2 days now since I purchased,

I want a refund for my purchase of Office 2019 for Mac. I have been unable to Activate Office for Mac 2019 for 2 days now since I purchased, downloaded and installed the program on my MacBook Pro running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2. I have followed the step by step instructions but your activation process does not work. 9 times, I have Clicked the Launchpad icon in the Dock to display all of my apps. I have Clicked  Microsoft Excel to start the activation process. The What's New window has opened automatically. I have clicked Get Started > Sign in. I have entered the email address associated with…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Product Setup and Activation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Workaround

The next version of MacOS will will not allow the editing of UserForms in Excel so I've installed a virtual machine (Parallels) with the current MacOS which I will not update when the new version comes out. I can currently run all of my excel spreadsheets (Excel for Mac 2011) using this (they all run flawlessly) and will be able to update my main OS to the new version.

Actually, I have installed all of my 32 bit applications on the virtual machine.

This a lot cheaper than buying a dedicated Windows computer.

Now I have all the benefits -…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. paste cells into image without box and background

In a previous version of Excel, I could paste a selection of data cells into an image previously pasted on a spreadsheet page. This was usually a column of text used to label electrophoresis bands arranged horizontally on the image. In the previous version, the text would paste independent of the cell background and outline box. This is what I want. I could make the list horizontal by rotating it, and sizing it to fit the columnar data in the image. The text labeled the columns perfectly and clearly. Now that the software has been updated, when I past the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add old functionality of Sylk files again to EXCEL

Reading .slk files gives an error on E=execute cells. You just can check with the wikipedia file enclosed. I have generated another file that was generated before 2012.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add old functionality of Sylk files again to EXCEL

Reading .slk files gives an error on E=execute cells. You just can check with the wikipedia file enclosed. I have generated another file that was generated before 2012.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Format paint button work for graphs

Make format paint button work for graphs- click a graph copy format (size, fonts, maybe even legend colours etc- or maybe give us option as to what formats to copy). Give ability in both excel and powerpoint etc

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. AutoFilter Dialog box is worse in 2016, the tick boxes don't stay in one place

1) The tick boxes change locations depending on how many items you have selected. If you have one or two tick boxes selected the tick boxes are lower down because the "Equals" rows above have been filled in. If you have 3 or more tick boxes selected then there is just a single blank "Choose One" row. It makes it very difficult to select a bunch of tick boxes because the location of the tick box jumps around. This is new behavior from Excel 2011.

2) The cursor is in "Choose One" empty box rather than in the "Search" box.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base