Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Give tree map on Mac excel

Give new maps in excel on Mac application. this is unfair.

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news. The Tree Map chart is available in Excel for Mac v16. There are still some finishing touches to come in the coming months. Some formatting options are not yet available, but you can do the basics now.

Steve K [MS Excel]

2. Navigating To The Next Worksheet After Editing A Worksheet Tab

When double clicking in a worksheet tab and editing its name etc.., after pressing enter the user cannon press Control or Alt +Pg up or down and move to the next sheet. The user MUST click in the worksheet 1st before using the keyboard shortcut to navigate to the next worksheet. This is not correct behavior and seems to be a bug. Does not work like this in Office 2011 or the Windows version. Can you please fix? Thank you.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support slicers for tables

Only pivot table slicers are supported in Excel 2016 for Mac

195 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

64 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m happy to report that Slicers for tables are now supported in Excel for Mac. Just check for updates and make sure you have version 16.×. Timelines are coming soon for filtering date fields in PivotTables.

Thanks for all your votes.
    Steve K [MS Excel]

4. Fix data entry

I'm trying to enter the text "HSA" into an Excel cell. No matter what I do or how many times I type it, Excel changes it to "HAS". What the **** is wrong with you people!?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have good news to share. In the January 2019 release of Excel for both Mac and Windows, this issue has been resolved. Once you install the update, Excel will allow you to override any autocorrection simply by going back and typing over the correction. For example, if you type “HSA” into cell A1, Excel will autocorrect it to “HAS”. If you go back and type “HSA” again in the same place, Excel will not correct it again. It will still autocorrect “HSA” if you type it into a different location, or if another autocorrection happens before you change “HAS” back to “HSA”. To summarize, Excel will no longer make the same autocorrection 2 times consecutively.

This fix is included in Excel for Mac if you have version 16.20 or greater, and Excel for Windows if you have version 16.0.11126 or greater.

5. Allow removeduplicates to be used in VBA

In windows, remove duplicates function can be used in VBA and is very effective. Currently, Mac doesn't support this function in VBA. Please add this to be used on Mac as well. Thank you.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news. In version 16.x, the RemoveDuplicates command works in VBA.

Here’s an example of the code:
    ActiveSheet.Range(“$a$1”).CurrentRegion.RemoveDuplicates Columns:=Array(1, 2), Header:=xlGuess

Steve K [MS Excel]

6. Please allow side by side window view in an excel workbook

I am so used to being able to alt+tab between two windows in the same Excel workbook. This should be available in Office for Mac 365

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please give Mac users of Office 365 Excel the SWITCH function too

I have an Office 365 subscription and it's infuriating that the SWITCH command which I can use on my PC will not work on my MacBook version (OF THE SAME SOFTWARE FROM THE SAME SUBSCRIPTION!).....Isn't it time you synchronised all versions of the software to give the same functionality to all users regardless of platform?

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Fix VBA recording issue

Something I came across - which I suspect has been documents elsewhere but I can't readily see it so here goes.

When recording a macro in excel for mac 2016 for some reason the action of opening a file does not get recorded. The recorder literally doesn't register that you have opened the file. (Its a very useful step to provide the full syntax for the file path of the relevant file).

However when you close the file - that step is recorded as ActiveWorkbook.Close.

It took me a while to work out that the syntax from 2011 to 2016…

81 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Customizable Ribbon Menu Item

In my opinion, there are too many preset ribbon items, which makes finding the command/tools one needs more difficult and time consuming. Immediate access to some tools is essential. The Quick Access Toolbar attempts to provide this function, but let's face it, the QAT is relegated to a place of very low prominence and capacity. And besides, some tools do not currently function if placed in the QAT (e.g. Paste Values) and some tools are not available for the QAT (e.g. Format Painter).

Would it be possible to have the capability of having a customizable Ribbon Menu in the same…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Bring back CMD-F shortcut for find/replace

Please . . . bring back this shortcut! I use this frequently. It takes up valuable time to go about it the long way.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Since this request was about 2 different features, and the Waterfall chart is complete, I’m marking this suggestion as completed. If you were requesting the Forecast Sheet feature, please feel free to create a new suggestion and specify just that particular item so that we can get an accurate picture of the support for it.

Steve K [MS Excel]

12. The CONCAT Function explanation has an incorrect example.

Example 3, a table of examples has =CONCAT(C2,",",B2) but the result shown is incorrect

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for letting us know, we updated the topic and are publishing it now. Should be live in a few hours (11/22/2016)

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

13. watch window - to watch the value of cell in excel

Can we please have a Watch Window where we can see / monitor when the value in the cell which is being watched is changed. This functionality is available in Excel for windows under Formula's Ribbon under Audit formula section

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I have good news to share. The Watch Window is now available in Excel for Mac if you have an M365 subscription.

Go to the Help menu > Check for Updates and update to version 16.43 or greater. You should see the Watch Window button on the Formula tab of the ribbon.

If you notice any problems or have any feedback, please click the feedback button in Excel and let us know about.

Steve [Excel for Mac team]

14. Direct Paste Value (Text)

with Excel for Windows there is a Right click past as 'text' option which was super helpful when when building price lists for example where you grabbing data from various sources and wanting to pate unformatted text or pase while not messing with the existing cell formatting. Need a paste as text shortcut or Right click pate text option. Mac does have a default Paste as text shortcut (Shift ALT Apple Key V) but the combo is not friendly,

Right now you have to choose Paste Special, Value which is time consuming if you doing it allot.

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With the next update to Excel for Mac (version 16.33 or higher), you will be able to assign a shortcut key and/or add the “paste formatting”, “paste formulas”, and “paste values” actions to your quick-access toolbar (QAT).

For the QAT (under Commands not in the ribbon), the commands are called:
    Paste Formatting
    Paste Formulas
    Paste Values

Keyboard Customization (under Commands not in the ribbon), the commands are called:
    Formatting
    Formulas
    Paste Values

For the keyboard shortcuts, you’ll need to assign a key combination that isn’t already being used to open the Paste Special dialog.

15. 108 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

85 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news. This has been fixed and will be available in the 16.12 update. If you get monthly updates, you should be able to update in April. To get the update sooner, you can opt into the Insiders program by going to Help > Check for updates and opt to get the Fast Insider updates.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

16. Fix click-drag to select cells in Mac

I can't click-drag to select multiple cells with the mouse/trackpad. When trying to do so, it only selects the first cell I click. I can only select multiple cells with the keyboard. I am currently running version 15.25 (160719) - new install on a new Mac running OS X 10.11.6.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Tye,

This issue only repros on Macs with the new Tracpad (or new MBP with force touch).

We’ve fixed the issue in build 15.25 (160721) and later.

Until you get that build (you may be able to update to it now), the immediate workaround is todo the following:

1. Go to System preference→Track pad→
    2. Disable Force click and haptic feedback

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

17. 73 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

61 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Although we are marking this as completed, it’s an ongoing effort to improve performance in Excel. Significant improvements have been made in both Page Layout View and Normal view, and since it’s an ongoing effort, we expect more in the future. If you have specific issues with performance, it would be helpful if you submit feedback to the Excel team by using the Send-a-Frown button in the top-right corner of the app.

18. Add the Find and Select button onto the Ribbon

The Find and Select option is not available on the Ribbon make options like Replace difficult to find.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is now available in the 16.24 update, which you can get if you opt into the Insiders Program, by going to Help > Check for Updates (not available if you installed from the Mac App Store). If you don’t want to opt into the Insiders program, this will be released in mid-April 2019.

19. Selecting a cell with Mouse doesn't always work

I have a great deal of trouble with the mouse click in Excel (Version 15.22). I have to move the mouse out of the cell I'm working in, click on a cell far away from it several times, and then come back and try it again.

This is never an issue with Excel (Version 14.6.4). I'd like to use the later version but it's too difficult to use with the cell selection issue.

51 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

113 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. Several issues have been fixed with regard to cell selection. Some have already been released and one fix will be available in the Oct. 2019 monthly release of Excel for Mac. Once you have version 16.30 or greater, you should no longer have an issue if you are using repeated rows at the top of your sheet and using Page Layout View. If you want to get the fix sooner, you can opt into the Insiders program and choose the Fast updates. To do so, just go to Help > Check for Updates. Then check the box to join the Office Insider Program and choose Office Insider Fast. Then press Check for Updates and install version 16.30×.

20. Excel for Mac (2016) is very unstable and I often loose work and have to restart.

Unless Excel for Mac becomes stable, I will only use it on Windows and revert to other sw on the mac such as google docs, etc.

67 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base