Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix ridiculous editing bugs in Excel 2016

Excel 2016 Mac is a mess.

Besides the ugly cartoon-like interface of all of Office 2016 (which obviously nothing can be done about now), it has some serious bugs. (Oh, and thanks for messing up so many of the keyboard shortcuts I learned for 2011).

Select all: Command-A doesn't work if there is an embedded picture/image in the worksheet. Instead, it invokes some kind of 'picture format' toolbar (or ruler - whatever...) item.

Edit in cell: completely unreliable to try and select contents of cell for editing (either in whole or in part. Sometimes in works, sometimes it doesn't. I've…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix Unacceptable # of Bugs, make VBA Usable & Add Hot Keys

First, the number of basic bugs in unacceptable for a product that's been the market for well over a year. Often I type characters in cell and hit Enter yet the cell is blank. I scroll up and then down, and at that point, I see the that previously blank cell is now populated with the characters I had entered. This is unacceptable. When I freeze panes, the top row appears to have been duplicated but if I scroll up and then down, duplicated row disappears. So many different types of bugs that remedied by scrolling up and then down.…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. You can start by FIXING THE CAUSE OF THE RECURRING EFFING CRASHES!!!

The frequency of crashes I experience with Excel for Mac Version 14.7.2 (170228) has reached EPIC status! I also experience the unexplained crashes in my Word for Mac program. With a bajillion dollars supporting you people, one would think you could fix these errors! But NO....it's been going on for over 5 years now, through many MANY updates and to no avail. Either you people are intentionally trying to send me to the edge of going postal just for kicks and giggles or you are MORONS. Which is it?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Can the 2016 version and return to the 2011 version. You have seriously messed up a good thing. I wasted my money on Office 2016.

Can the 2016 version and return to the 2011 version. You have seriously messed up a good thing. I wasted my money on Office 2016. There are too many issues to describe them here.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Keyboard Shortcut for Find and Replace

Can there be a keyboard shortcut for the Replace command? There's only one for Find.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. A way to avoid scrolling to deep down below.

A way to fast scroll no further then:
    1. - last line of a table + a few line's
    2. - a preset last line in a workbook.
    3. - last line of the print area

Often you want to scroll or copy things down til a certain row, but often the scrolling start slow or crapy and then flies downwards, passing the line you want. Specially within tables.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Bug associated with how ISNUMBER handles blank cells when used in SUMPRODUCT

With the help of a user who is using Excel 15.25 on a Mac, we discovered a difference between how ISNUMBER handles blank cells when used within the SUMPRODUCT formula. Or at least that is what we think is going on. I am using Excel 2016 on a PC. I have attached a test workbook, a screenshot of what I see when I open the workbook in Excel 2016 on a PC, and what the user see when he opens the same workbook in Excel 2016 on a Mac.

If A1 is a blank cell, then ISNUMBER(A1) returns FALSE.

So,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Limit the number of columns

I have a seemingly infinite number of columns. This makes navigating and viewing difficult as when I quickly scroll to to the side or down (with magic mouse) I end up in Column AJP or some such.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide tools for working with names. Insert->Paste doesn't work. Define has no edit. What are we supposed to do - delete and redefine th

Provide tools for working with names. Insert->Paste doesn't work. Define has no edit. What are we supposed to do - delete and redefine the table or name? That's pretty lame. Define shows the range and has a definition box, but I can't do anything with it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please create a function that will give you the Range (largest-smallest value)of a data set. ex.=range(a1:a13)

Please create a function that will give you the Range (largest-smallest value)of a data set. ex.=range(b1:b13).

More detail:
    Sales person: (a1) a b c d e f g h i (j1)j

(b2) 11 12 9  13 12  13  3  2   14  (j2)1  

=range(b2:j2) math: 13-1 answer: 12

Excel should look at only the highest and lowest digits within a given range and subtract the higher value from the lower.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Argument tooltips in Russian localization

No argument tooltips in Russian (and, maybe, another languages, I didn't check that) localization in Excel for Mac in versions above 15.29. Looks like temporary disabled and then forgotten feature.
    I have to stay on 15.29 and ignore updates.
    I appeciate if you pay attention for correction and respond here (it is awkward to check each release by installing->noresult->uninstallwholeoffice->returnbackto15.29).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Relative paths to text connections

Option to have relative paths to connect to text files to import data.

We have an xlsx file with several connections to csv files with generic names.
    We want to be able to move (or share) this file to other directories, and the xlsx file to be able to read the csv files (with the same generic names) in the new directory.

I have posted this issue here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msomac/csv-files-paths-in-excel-2016-for-mac/215241e7-6599-4971-b598-b7e5bd2dc45d

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. "Break link" command causes Excel 2016 to crash

Serious Issue in Excel 2016
    Copying a table of data or a figure from Excel 2016 to another work book retains the links to the source workbook as it should. However, there"Break Link" command causes Excel to crash. Please fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Pivot Table Field List Improvements Request

For the Pivot Table Field list, can you please have the option to make this dockable on the right like in windows excel? Please increase the size of the field name box. it starts off so small or allow (like in windows excel) the option to have the field boxes aligned vertically. Thanks.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Excel crashes when i use the formula searcher ("Search for a function")

With the Microsoft Office for Mac 20111 when i search for a Formula in the formula searcher ("Search for a function") where we right the name of the function to search it (in the "Formula Builder" interface) - after i put the first letter the excel crashes giving the message "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We Sorry for the inconvenience." and it restarts. It also produces a report and ask if i want to send it to Microsoft...
    Next i show you a green shoot of the error message and in the word file i…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Why do you sell something that does not work?

Why do you sell something that does not work?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow spreadsheets with links to other spreadsheets on network drives to work between Mac and Windows

(we have a case open with Microsoft of this: 117010515137743 )

We have two spreadsheets on a shared network drive, spreadsheet 1 has links to cells in spreadsheet 2. If we create the links on a Windows machine running Office 2016 (link looks like this: ='\staff01\staffshare\CentralDepts\Technology\NetworkServices\MSTest\Folder2[Main.xlsx]Sheet1'!$B$5), when we open the spreadsheet on a Mac running Office 2016, the link is broken! (on the Mac, the link is: ='\staff01\staffshare\CentralDepts\Technology\NetworkServices\MSTest\Folder2[Main.xlsx]Sheet1'!$B$5, which is not a valid path on the Mac).

If we fix it on the Mac, so now the path looks like this: ='\staff01\staffshare\CentralDepts\Technology\NetworkServices\MSTest\Folder2[Main.xlsx]Sheet1'!$B$5

When we open it on Windows, Excel tries…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. I regret very much when I access a drop-down list from a cell to see only the first sixteen elements of this list even if the size of my scr

I regret very much when I access a drop-down list from a cell to see only the first sixteen elements of this list even if the size of my screen would allow a greater number as in previous versions of excel for mac . This forces me to scroll through the window because I often have forty or fifty items in my lists and it causes me to waste a lot of time doing this manipulation.
    I do not understand what led to this restriction.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base