Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add feature to list all functions and include all functions offered on PCs

Add feature to list all functions and include all functions offered on PCs

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix PageUp/Down Left/Right key functions that were broken by 15.16.0 Update

If you are in the middle of a large spreadsheet, these keys apparently move the cursor off screen, but the display does NOT move. They seem to work OK if you start from the R1C1 cell, but not otherwise. It all worked fine before the 15.16.0 update on 11/10/15.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Keep format the same when pasting an Excel graph into Word

When I paste an Excel graph into a Word file (just copy-paste), the color of some of the lines and markers change. I would like to keep the format the same.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add real subdivisions for logarithmic plots!

In college I've had so many lab assignments where we were required to submit a semilog or log-log plot that only spanned one or two decades, but still needed subdivision gridlines (e.g. gridlines at {10, 20, 30, 40, etc.}, not just at {10, 100}). I end up finding an image of graph paper with the subdivisions I need and just dragging that underneath the plot and moving and resizing it to match the plot. I don't have to explain how much a pain that is. It would be so much better if Excel could add these subdivision gridlines automatically!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Checkboxes double print when printing or save to pdf making them unreadable

When adding checkboxes to a sheet, then trying to print that sheet, print to PDF or Save as PDF, the checkboxes appear "double printed" making it very difficult to tell their checked state on the printed version. This bug has existed since the early betas.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make AutoComplete work without crashing the application

With AutoComplete switched on in preferences and some reasonably complex spreadsheets (names, table structured references &c.) typing into the formula bar will pretty reliably crash Mac Excel.

It's extremely frustrating and makes working on more complex spreadsheets basically impossible. Please fix this!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add webdav support

Hi,

I recently discovered that saving files to a webdav volume with Word, Excel or PowerPoint 2016 wouldn't work. I thought it was a bug and I opened a case at the support who explained to me that saving files to webdav volumes was not supported in Office for Mac 2016.

I think it would be a great feature to re-introduce webdav support in Office 2016 as it is a very good way to access your files from a network drive that works anyware, while keeping your content hosted corporately.

Best regards

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Opening and Saving Files...

is not allowed in the 2016 Excel for Mac and I'm not sure what happened. Whenever I open an Excel file on my laptop, it always defaults to "15 (read-only) and gets really annoying when I have to open the file, save as "15" or "Copy of 15" just to save it, delete my old file and rename the new file. I can't even save properly named files as a name other than the names listed above. I've strongly considered making the switch to Apple Numbers instead of constantly dealing with how annoying this process has become. Please fix.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Needed to fix copy paste the tables from excel to outlook

Needed to fix copy paste the tables from excel to outlook without border issue

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Multiple selection list boxes in 2016 (Mac) or even latest Win version

Can we finally have multiple selection list boxes (easily) via data validation (if not at least via VBA User forms)? Also you can create a multiple selection list control that allows this, but the control can't auto dimension to each cell's size. (Say like a pop-up.

Point: many people would like to be able to make a simple, multiple selection list box that can be easily copied to a column of cells (not just within an Excel form). It doesn't matter how it's done, as long as it's easy.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. [num, txt, raw] = XLSREAD(filename.xlsx); should return equally-sized variables

NUM is a numerical array containing the numeric values from the spreadsheet. Super useful! Because it's numeric, non-numeric values need to be dealt with somehow, so they're converted to NaN. Also great! I can work with that!

Here's the problem: any non-numeric values on the exterior of the spreadsheet (or, equivalently, of RAW) are omitted instead of being converted to NaN. THIS RUINS EVERYTHING. Indexing become messy, messy guesswork, because NUM is a different size than TXT and RAW. Please just have the function return NaNs, so that NUM can be the same size as TXT and RAW.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Big Integers

Can we get support for large integers? Right now, Excel converts bigints to floating point, which is just wrong.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Sort Out Scroll Bars

Sort Out Scroll Bars. Version 15.14 sorted the "respect OSX scroll bar visibility setting", but they are still not initialising/positioning correctly. When visible all the time, often when you grab the vertical slider with the mouse, the worksheet will jump miles (and by that I mean a really really long way) from the current scroll position.

One aspect of the bug has been fixed, but there are still major problems.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Pivot table sort totals column

Include capability to sort pivot tables by Totals columns/rows. This has been in the Windows version since 2010 at least. Why not include this basic feature in the Mac version?

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. copy a table from Excel and paste it a Mail message keeping all original formats

with 2011 version I am obliged to copy a table from Excel and paste it to Word, then copy from Word to Mail, in order to keep all original formats. Very slow and frustrating procedure. I hope the 2016 Excel version allows direct copy/paste of a table from Excel to a Mail message with all its original formats.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Keep graph format the same when scrolling to other data

When I scroll down to a next set of data to produce line graphs for several items, the format of lines and markers changes, which I do not want (the idea is to produce multiple graphs with identical formats). I can overcome this by copying the graph- paste special-format (onto this graph) before I start scrolling, but I have to do this again each time I re-open the excel file. Very annoying.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Calculator

I miss the integrated calculator from Excel 2008 and 2011. My duties have been made more difficult because you of arcane reasons have removed this feature from Office 365. I ask you to reintroduce the calculator application.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow two open spreadsheets to share a search term

In my previous version of Excel (Excel for Mac 2011), if I had two different spreadsheets open at the same time, and typed something in the search box for one spreadsheet, when I finished that search, all I had to do was click anywhere in the second spreadsheet and my search string would magically appear in the search box in the second spreadsheet! I loved that & it saved me time. I didn't purposely set it up that way & don't know if it was a built-in feature or not.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make opening files from disk as fluid as opening from OneDrive

Opening from disk takes longer than opening from OneDrive

That's a really cheesy move to increase OneDrive usage, please stop it

5 votes
    Sign in