Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bug: fix the error that adds random 0.01 onto sums

I keep track of my spending in excel. I am up to row 1100.
    When I sum up the value in three cells, they are off by 0.01. It has happened twice now - In row 1089, and now again in row 1101 (both column D).
    For example:
    E1088+D1089-C1089 is 0.01 over what the sum should be
    E1100+D1101-C1101 is 0.01 over what the sum should be

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Major Data Entry Issue

If a cell contains the number zero, and I enter another number in that cell, the zero gets appended to the new number. For example, if I enter the number 5, Excel shows 50 in that cell instead of just 5.

Although this doesn't happen all the time, I have actually had it happen to me once out of approximately every three tries.

This is serious because people using spreadsheets automatically enter numbers into cells and always assume the that new number will replace the old. The fact that it appends the zero to the new number can cause users…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Highlight rows headers of that rows that are filtered

It is hard to know if there are some columns with the filter activated, because the row header does not shows the numbers in blue, like the office for Windows

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Since downloading 2016 I get this alert everytime I do anything: Cannot use object linking or embedding. How do you stop that???

Since downloading 2016 I get this alert everytime I do anything: Cannot use object linking or embedding. How do you stop that???

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Using applescript, the character does not delete or change it[MAC]

I need to delete or change the particular cell contents (more than 255 characters). But, I can't. Because, the cell having more than 255 characters.
    Please help me anyone!.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. guidelines do not show up now even on layout with them checked

now guide lines do not show no mater what i do also you are suppose to show them in color

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. .docx file format

When I open excel for mac, I get message: Book tasks to be completed.docx file format is not valid.I do not know where it comes from and I cannot stop message from appearing at startup.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Post a list of the improvements and fixes currently under development

It would be helpful to your customers to be able to see what issues are being worked on and what issues are slated for future fix/implementation. That should include a current estimate of delivery time.

I sense a lot of frustration on these pages. Having this method of providing you with our feedback helps, but only if you provide meaningful responses about what you plan to address. Black holes do not engender customer loyalty or appreciation.

You are doing a much better job of providing feedback than your counterpart on the Word team. That is very appreciated. A list would…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Fix Cell Navigation in 15.17

Since the 15.17 update, there is now a noticeable delay when moving between cells using the arrow keys and sometime the cursor does not respond at all to the key press. Please fix (it was fine in 15.16).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Saving an Excel attachment from Outlook on MAC should retain the file name (as is done with Word, and PowerPoint attachments)

An Excel file that is opened as an attachment to in Outlook (MAC) should be retain its file name when saved (recognizing that the file could be saved with right click before opening) - i.e., process should be the same as Word and PowerPoint attachments

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. / in filename created as Read-only

Dear Microsoft, you are defaulting permissions of my excel files/work book with a / in the filename "Read-Only". What kinda stereotype is that!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Please fix the Check boxes from the developer tab

The check boxes that can be created from the Developer ribbon don't seem to work in Excel for Mac 2016. You can see them but you can't check or uncheck them.

Please fix this!!! I can't use a range of reports because they all rely on check boxes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add a LOOKUP function for conditionally formatted cells

A simple LOOKUP function that allows, not unlike the auto sum for a range of cells to be analysed subject to their conditioned formatting. I've a number of dates that relate to project KPI's which appear in a single row. The cell colours are condition formatted so that overdue goes red, 1 month to overdue goes Amber and not overdue are green. Using a "GETCOLOUR" that is interactive with the COUNTIF, IF, SUMIF, AND, OR, VLOOKUP AND HLOOKUP functions in Excel 2016 could be of equal value to Windows and OSX users alike? Quick win which would make analysis much…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow option to "Print Active Sheet" from "Sharing" on Excel on MacBook

When using the online version of Excel (on an iPad), going to Sharing / Send Attachment / Email / via PDF, it gives the option to "Print Active Sheet" or "Print Entire Workbook".

Unfortunately, when using the downloaded version of Excel on an iMac or MacBook, the Sharing Options / Send Attachment / via PDF, gives no option to print the "active sheet" and automatically sends the entire workbook.

Is there any way to send only the "active sheet" directly from Excel on a downloaded version of Excel used on iMac or MacBook?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Open files with alternative extensions

I'd like to be able to open files with arbitrary file extensions.

Many files I have or work with are tsv files, but don't always have that extension, and it's not even an option to open them in Excel!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow sorting using letter-by-letter alphabetization

There are two acceptable ways for alphabetical sorting: word by word (which counts spaces as punctuation as characters) and letter by letter (which does not). Add a preference setting to use one approach vs. the other.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Enable My Apps in the Mac version.

Why can't I use My Apps in the Mac 2016 version. There's a lot of cool stuff going on in the My Apps section that i can't use on my Mac.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Customisable filter

It would be great to customize the size of the filter box in excel. At present I can only manually resize it, and each time I reopen the filter, I have to resize it again. It would be great if the default opened to whatever size you made it the previous time. Also would be great if the text size could be enlarged.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base