Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Excel for Mac to run .xll files

There are many .xll add-ins that work under windows, but none of these can be run natively on Excel for Mac. Using a windows emulator is painful, buggy and sometimes slow.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Put the keyboard shortcuts for deletes back on? the ctrl-K and Ctrl-i (that italicizes everything)

We use Ctrl-K to delete an entire line and Ctrl-I inserted a line (copied or just a blank). Both of those are missing and we need them back desperately! Using ctrl-i just italicizes everything instead. Please put these back?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ignore this error

When I set formatting in a cell for "text" and paste a number, stop giving an error that the number is formatted as text. I know. You know why?

See if you can follow:
    I set the formatting manually. I already know it's a number being displayed as text. If I set something manually, stop telling me it's set that way. Especially if there are already important contextual clues (like the number sticking to the right side of the cell or not truncating or adopting date format, etc) showing that it's formatted as text.

I hate having to manually declare…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. VLOOKUP and 256 characters limit

Many functions in EXCEL for MAC 2011 don't work at all (they return the dreaded #VALUE field) if the one of the reference cells has more than 256 characters. This is the case already for VLOOKUP, and for TEXT. Possibly for others as well?
    Users shall have a list of these, to avoid disappointment. Of course if it could be corrected it would be better.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Cell gradient compatibility with windows office

Better compatibility and be able to apply gradient fill on cells.
    When a document with conditional formatting applying gradients on cell is done in windows an then opened on mac the same breaks and file lags everywhere until remove all the gradients.
    This shouldnt happen....

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Number of calculations

What I would like is for Excel to be able to summarise how many calculations it has done in a spreadsheet and how many cells are linked or use functions like lookups. Word has something that counts words, sentences etc, but it would be so useful if when I was showing a client a spreadsheet I could show just how many calculations were were in the spreadsheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Find and replace text without affecting font style[Bold,Italic,Subscript,Superscript]

I want to find some text and replace to null string, After the text will be replaced. But, the following words font style would be affect.

Any idea to fix this?
    Thanks.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Error with VLOOKUP and GETPIVOTDATA double-populating characters

When I try entering a formula in which the range references cells in a separate workbook, I get a double-character in the formula when I start typing again.

For example, I try to enter the formula:
    =VLOOKUP(A1,'[Workbook-Name]Sheet1'!$A$C,3,FALSE)

To populate the cell range, I click into the other workbook and highlight the desired columns. Then I enter the comma and 3. Excel will automatically turn the 3 into a 33.

For GETPIVOT, I see similar issues, but this time it tends to insert two commas after the workbook cell reference.
    Sample formula:
    =GETPIVOTDATA("Field",'[Workbook-Name]Sheet1'!$A1,"Name","Value")

If I create formulas reference ranges within the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Fix it unactivate Excel window just after typing only once to a cell

After using some macro, I just type only once to enter a word to a cell, and I found I can't type anything because Excel window is not active.
    In this case, we can click the cell to activate Excel window and make it possible to enter a data again, but this bothers me much.
    Another measurement is to reboot Excel, and open books again( sometimes missing some books!!)...

please fix this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enable copying a cell and inserting it as a hyperlink in same or different worksheet through a right click or paste Special option

In Excel for Mac 14.6.0 - I can't seem to be able to just copy a cell and paste it as a hyperlink whilst maintaining the original cell address & description. Current process is complicated and not working correctly as described in Help; when using INSERT> HYPERLINK, you have to paste cell description, then LOCATE where you can only specify another worksheet and then manually complete the location with the cell reference! I'm sure you could just paste the whole cell address before. Also, you cannot just enter/paste the 'defined name' as described in Help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add filter dropdown to columns when table header scrolls off of screen

Add a filter dropdown to the column headings in a long table. Right now when you scroll the header off of the screen, the column headings change from letters to the column names, but the filter functionality disappears. Windows Excel does this - was added in Excel 2010 for Windows.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. For charts link a color to a series name so that we don't have to worry about changing its colour anymore.

I've been waiting for this for ages. Why is the color scheme linked to a given order of series? We need to set once and for all a series name to set colour.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the further details and example. We’ll definitely consider this in the context of our future planning. Please continue to vote on this idea.

Thanks,
    Scott {MSFT]

14. Resume for Office Applications

Intro: For almost 5 years, since Apple released Mac OS X Lion in July 2011), Mac users enjoyed "Resume" feature that enables applications to re-open in exactly the same state as before quitting the application or restarting the system, including window positions and contents of unsaved files.

Problem: Lack of the "Resume" feature is what makes me dread logging off and restarting Windows. Especially when I have multiple Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents open in different virtual desktops on two monitors - having to re-create this setup after the restart is really annoying.

Suggestion: I suggest Microsoft implements this functionality…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. select color palette

color palette does not work with my screen. how to change the color temperature or rgb value?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. how about fixing the spinning beachball for 30-40 seconds whenever I start excel or word? What could it possibly be doing?

Office 2011 mac, yosemite, fully up to date. Whenever I start excel or word - they load up, the window is there but I can't do ANYTHING with the app for another 30-40 seconds. I have good internet, and updates turned off (I run manually), so is this just about making me think about getting a new version?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Online templates missing?

When writing an article about Excel features and ideas on the excel blog it's not user friendly when the description is either misleading or isn't working.

The article link:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Learn-how-to-use-the-Stock-Analysis-template-with-Excel-2016-f65e62ac-7af6-4cc6-98f3-f68b147ed65d?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

I was reading use excel like a boss and followed the link for the stock analysis and per the instructions I went into my templates and it's not there and it's also not online at the following link: https://templates.office.com/en-us/templates-for-Excel

Also since comments are closed on that article I can't ask what happened to that template.

I'm using office 365 on my iMac using Excel 2016 version 15.18. When I search…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Bring back Window.Top

In Excel 2016, it is not possible to set the top position of an Excel window, neither with the VBA call 'ActiveWindow.Top = 100' nor with the AppleScript call 'set top of window 1 to 100'. This was no problem in Excel 2011. Please bring back this functionality.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Fix Hyperlink (CTRL K) suddenly Excel reports valid URLs cannot be opened

Excel does not launch/switch to Safari anymore and reports "Unable to open http***** Cannot download the information you requested@.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bug: fix the error that adds random 0.01 onto sums

I keep track of my spending in excel. I am up to row 1100.
    When I sum up the value in three cells, they are off by 0.01. It has happened twice now - In row 1089, and now again in row 1101 (both column D).
    For example:
    E1088+D1089-C1089 is 0.01 over what the sum should be
    E1100+D1101-C1101 is 0.01 over what the sum should be

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base