Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support Command+Tilde in Full Screen Mode

When multiple workbooks are open in Excel 2016 for Mac, you are able to switch between them by pressing Command+Tilde only if the workbooks are NOT in full screen mode. If the workbooks ARE in full screen mode, Command+Tilde no longer works.

This presents a significant usability/productivity problem in that you have to mouse through several layers just to switch between open full screen workbooks.

Command+Tilde should work regardless of whether workbooks are being viewed full screen or windowed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a preference to control gesture sensitivity of Magic Mouse

When scrolling (vertical or horizontal) using Magic Mouse gestures, the sensitivity of the function is set *far* too high. A tiny, inadvertent brush of the surface of the mouse can send you halfway across the (spreadsheet) galaxy! It has become so annoying that I'm thinking of getting a Mundane Mouse just to use with Excel. Some kind of scaling setting would be very helpful.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The Solver constraints dialog box is sized too small to see inputs and cannot be resized

Resize the dialog box so that the information contained within can be viewed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Revert the ungodly change to make the first key press open a cell instead of type into it

Why did Excel 15.22 change to make the first key press open a cell instead of immediately typing into it? That hasn’t changed that since the 90s and is makes Excel incredibly frustrating to use.

This behavior ONLY occurs on the Mac version and NOT the Windows version.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix the long term bug that appends garbage characters to the clipboard when using dataobject.putinclipboard

I think the heading says it all. This function does not work and makes clipboard usage fro mac almost impossible

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Opening .cub files to let us work on B.I. basis

As many people who works in a Business enviroment, I face off daily data files coming from DBases on Winservers machines.
    Our Dbase export B.I. files with .cub extensions, who can be easily opened and analized with Excel 2010 or above. We have licensed Win and Mac 2016 versions, but Mac users cannot open .cub files...
    Webought Excel for that, and we won't sell our Mac for Win PCs, so why buy MS appplications if they don't work on a Mac? For simple tasks, Libreoffice works great....

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Caps-Lock interferes with custom shortcuts

I like to use paste-values a lot, so I add Command-option-v as a keyboard shortcut. However, it does not work when Caps-Lock is active. I've tried adding Command-option-shiht-v as a shortcut also, and adding the shortcut when Caps-lock is on, but it just does not work when Caps-lock is engaged.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 'Save as...' window is truncated so cannot actually hit the 'Save' button

'Save as...' window is truncated so cannot actually see/hit the 'Save' button. Can't scroll though the window so have to make the whole screen full size in order for the Save As window to resize to fit the page. Is this a bug that needs fixing (v 2011)?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. fix issues in german excel 2016 mac

- The keyboard shortcut for the actual date does not work.
    - There are issues with conditional formatting, when symbols are used in a different order.
    - Compared to the windows version, excel mac does not support deleting all add-in features from an excel sheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. The Undo button should only effect the spreadsheet window it is at the top of. I have 2 spreadsheets open, I found hitti

The Undo button should only effect the spreadsheet window it is at the top of. I have 2 spreadsheets open, I found clicking undo on one was actually changing the other. This is stupid.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Can't get PivotTable time grouping to work..

In older versions of excel I can easily "group" a time column and summarize it by day, month, etc. In Excel 2016 I can no longer get this to work with any data sets so far. Grouping the data just results in a "dumb" group with no summarization features.

I've found documentation of the "auto-grouping" feature for time in Excel, but this never seems to function or appear on my Mac....how can I replicate the legacy function??

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add Contextual Menu to insert Function

When right clicking on a cell provide a contextual menu option to insert a function.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Use return key to change cells and retain copied information

Why doesn't using the return key in 2016 Mac to change cells retain a copied formula to paste? Now we are forced to use navigation arrows (or clicking - both much slower) as the only way to navigate to paste. I miss this function from earlier versions

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow the user to clear all unpinned documents from the start-up window

This applies to all the programs in Office 2016 for Mac. Unlike the previous versions from 2011, in the newer and "improved" applications it is no longer possible to clean unpinned documents from the list that shows when Excel/Word/PowerPoint is launched. It's also impossible to clear the recent documents that show under File > Open Recent. This clearly reflects Microsoft's new and disrespectful stance on the privacy of their customers.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Simplify formula entry / autocomplete

If you enter a formular in a cell (e.g., "=Sum...") the autocomplete function pops up and presents you possible functions. You can select one of the functions by pressing the up- and down-keys. However, the most intuitive and consistent way to choose the highlighted function by pressing the enter key does not work as expected. If you press the Enter key, Excel stores what you have typed so far in that cell instead of selecting the function and move on to filling out the arguments.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. When i save a worksheet as CSV format in Xcel 2016 the variables are separated by semi-Colons instead of Commas.This causes severe problems

When i save a worksheet as CSV format in Xcel 2016 the variables are separated by semi-colons and not comms.
    This causes severe problems when importing CSV files in other applications. Cel 2011 correctly exports CSV files with commas separating the variables.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Excel 2016 Mac external numerical keypads, number is immediately deleted

In Excel 15.22 for Mac
    When an usb external numerical keypad (Targus and Belkin) is used to enter numbers, the numbers appear but are immediately deleted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Flip feature in Excel filter

There is no way to flip the filter condition selected for a column.

Ex. If I have selected 3 conditions for filter out of total 10 there is no easy way to select the remaining 7 without unchecking the 3 and then selecting the 7. It would be great if we can have a flip feature included

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Excel Uses Incorrect Cursor On Mac

Please make Excel use the proper carson on the Mac. Here is a video:

https://gfycat.com/SadPettyKitten

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base