Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel 2016 for Mac - external links do not hold the current values, but put 0

The issues are confirmed for versions 15.26 and 15.27, and did not happen for version 15.24; there is an Excel file which has an external link to another Excel file which is on a computer which is on the network but not be shared; when we open the file in Windows Excel 2013, the values associated with the link are held in the cells; however, opening the file in Mac Excel 2016, those cells get zero (0) and another cells which are calculated based on the linked values go to wrong values. This is very critical as the file is…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. when opening files in Finder instead of having to go to My Mac or One Drive, show list of all files in folder, same as Excel 2011

when opening files in Finder instead of having to go to My Mac or One Drive, show list of all files in folder, same as Excel 2011

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. HEEEEEEEEEEELP !

Erreur "mémoire insuffisante" et aucun moyen de m'en sortir... Besoin de travailler, moi !!!!!!!!!!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Save function/formula string used regularly to recall easily

I think it would be very useful to be able to save a formula that you use regularly to recall. For instance, I have a formula I use to change the last character instance in a cell and it would be nice to be able to recall it by typing something like "=changelastcharacterinstance"

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,”find”,”replace”,LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,”find”,””)))

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. word cloud / wordcloud

Please create functionality to create wordclouds / word clouds in excel. there are thirdparty solutions like wordle but it would be good to do it directly in excel. like marking a table and create a word cloud based on that type of info.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Autofill for decimal numbers calculates wrong

Used autofill with a {1.1, 1.2, 1.3} sequence for 50 values it seem to work and completed to 6.0 as expected however I noticed the 6.0 is actually 5.99999999999999, but this behavior is not consistent and other numbers are correct like 4.5 and 1.5.

My 0.2 cents ... is using a float for calculation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Persistent font downloads

Office 2011 v14 seems to have persistent font downloads whenever I open Excel and Powerpoint. The downloads appear to be random, and it keeps asking me to download the same fonts over and over again (e.g. Osaka) when I re-launch the app. Any idea on how to fix this? It just started recently.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Extend Support to VB.NET on Xamarin

This will support cross-platform addins, native custom worksheet controls, an existing cross-platform IDE, and, especially, an easier migration for current VBA coders than moving to the javascript API.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Use trackpad to scroll/navigate while selecting content

It would be a lot better for workflow if while you were clicking and dragging to select multiple cells you could still use the 2 finger swipe to navigate around your document. Hope that makes sense!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Fix the bug that prevents using File Save or File Save As to name or rename or copy a file

Get rid of the "Tags" line in the File Save and File Save As dialogue boxes. Since this was introduced in an "Update" it causes the Cancel and Save/OK buttons to be off the bottom of the screen and inaccessible. Thus you cannot either Save the File or Cancel the operation ad return to the unsaved spreadsheet. The only way out of this impasse is to Force Quit Excel, thereby losing all prior work, re-starting Excel and starting another spreadsheet.

The only workaround I have found is to select a file in Finder, use Duplicate File to create a copy…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What version of Mac Excel are you running now, and what version didn’t have the issue you’re raising?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

12. Fix 2011 Mac so numbers accept comma separators again

As of recent update version 14.6.9 (160926) there are no longer commas as 000's separators, vene though the formatting screen has a button to do so and custom formats show commas - but none are inserted. As a professional accountant, this is unacceptable.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. LaTeX Rendering within OFFICE

I'd love to see a rendering capability for turning LaTeX code snippets into mathematical symbols for products like word and excel.

I think we all use excel these days, and we personally hate the VBA features in MAC. But I'm fairly certain LaTeX will be the MICROSOFT WORD Killer that will destroy any need to use that product ever again.

We still are stuck with Excel. It's a good product. Because it's visual and easy to work with vs. other command line scripting tools like MATLAB or Python or R. That said. --- I'm almost certain that there's no reason…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. "What If" Question Environment for Business & Finance (like Quantrix, but better)

The idea is simple:

If I paste in a financial, excel 'knows' what it is automacally ie) Balance Sheet, and opens up a submenu that will enable me, should I click there, to ask WHAT IF questions of the statement. The answers will be posted to a new sheet, which is the output environment for the identified financial.

Quantrix has allowed you to do this since inception, but Quantrix does not make it seem 'plug & play simple.' So this is a MAJOR opportunity for Excel to make those features intuitive and easy to use, while being just as rich.…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Improve Header Formatting. It is impossible to format using the very limited toolbar. It would be wonderful to use full formatting Palate

Be able to use full formatting palate for headers. The header formatting palate that pops up does not include color.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. fix the filter. It is now extremely slow to filter a column.

When you open the dialog box to filter, the cursor is in a useless box instead of where you can type. Once you start typing to filter, you have to wait a ridiculous amount of time between letters or numbers on a sheet with 9000 rows. And this with 16 GB of ram, 2.6 core i7, and 1 TB SSD. Filtering was much better on 2011.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Remember last window size when reopening a file

When I reopen a saved excel file, it never opens with the same size as the last time I saved the file. You need to implement a feature that remembers the window size and location each time the file is saved. Then, the next time the file is opened, it will appear in the same size and location on your desktop.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow users to define Programmable Hotkeys for any Simple or Advanced Functions!

You don't need to break Excel's hotkeys to do this! You can keep your shortcut key TOTALLY INTACT!

Here's how you do it: Give us programmable hotkeys, for example Option 1 - 9 Can be user-programmable hotkeys.

For any given user, there are 10 involved tasked that they most commonly perform, for which there are no hotkeys.

For example, for a user they might be:

1) Drawing a box around a cell

2) Converting a Number to a Percent

3) Creating a line graph specifically out of two columns (which normally requires 2-3 clicks - the hotkey will enable the…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Pasting multiple cells into single cell (text)

Excel for Mac text editing needs to be improved.

It used to be possible to highlight one or more cells (e.g. A1:B1), then double-click a THIRD cell (e.g. C1) and paste the merged contexts of A1 & B1 into C1. Now that is no longer possible.

This is a step backwards compared to Excel 2011, and both LibreOffice and Google Sheets also supports this functionality.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Don't prompt to save at opening a file

As soon as I open a file, Excel believes that there a changes to the file, just because there are formulas in the workbook, and automatic evaluation of formulas is on by default. This is annoying because I cannot only open a workbook to quickly take a look at something and close again, without being prompted to save 'changes'.

I would like this behaviour to be like in Windows, where formulas are also evaluated automatically by default, but Excel considers only my manual changes as true changes.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base