Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix time formats and internationalization

Custom time formats are not working anymore

I have extensive data with sports related time data in the mm:ss.000 format. Recently all my excel sheets stopped working

Example.

Format cells A1:A3 custom format mm:ss.000
    A1: 1:12.123
    A2: 1.12.321
    A3: =A1+A2

On my mac running Sierra and latest Excel 2016 this shows #VALUE! in A3. The computer preferences region settings were set to Switzerland.

If I change to United States (computer) and close and reopen Excel then the A3 cell is working correctly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Produce a cross reference to convert Excel 2011 commands into Excel 2016 commands

So many trusty commands in 2011 do NOT work in 2016. Few of my macros written in 2011 work in 2016. Despite the instructions, the Quick Access Ribbon in 2016 does not work reliably, and many heavily used commands DO NOT WORK. The icon exists, but does nothing when clicked. We desperately need a cross-reference to recreate in Excel 2016 what we depend on regularly in Excel 2011. Why, oh why, did you have to change virtually ALL the commands. Someone at Microsoft has sadistic tendencies that need professional attention.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Messed up accounting and currency symbol formatting

I want to change the format of a cell into accounting category. The currency symbol that I use is Rupiah, which if it's written down along with the numbers, it should be Rp 1,230. But instead, on Excel, the Rupiah symbol (Rp) is written on the back of the numbers. Can someone fix this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. F11 shortcut for charts

Cannot understand why this shortcut is not included.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow copy/paste fraction input w/o converting to a freaking date!!!

Excel for Mac insists upon converting a fraction into a date. Believe or not, people still use fractions, and number/number is not always a date.

Allow copy/paste fraction input w/o converting to a freaking date!!!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Can Excel also have smart decimal outline number sorting?

So 1.24.3 comes before 1.101.4 and after 1.9.14?
    Needed for all sorting in table with classifications numbered according to some standard.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Remove the addition of "Local Paths" To Hyperlinks, rendering them broken after moving the Spreadsheet in Excel for Mac 2011-2016.

i.e

I set a hyperlink as file://localhost/Volumes/Archive/Video Content
    I save I exit the Document. Share it with a user.

The path is correct, however , reopening, Excel forces an addition an becomes,
    i.e file://localhost/users/archive/../..//Volumes/Archive/Video Content

This of course starts to causes issues.

Please contact me should a update for this be in the process.
    Thank you.
    glen_burger@yahoo.com

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add the ability to set defaults for conditional formatting options

Saving conditional formatting options for when you are working with multiple spreadsheets that need to stay separate but have the same conditions applied

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Now I have to double click folders and files in the Open and Save menus...

The 14.6.8 update changed how the Save and Open menu boxes work. Before, on my Mac, when I use the 3 column view, I only had to click once on a folder for it to open it in the next column, and one click to view details about a file. Now I have to double click the folders and files (which opens the file instead letting me see the file details).

Please change it back to a single click to navigate through the Open and Save menu boxes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Improve the Help

I am a former PC user now with the Mac version. Some of the graphics functions I have been doing for years on the PC (e.g., plot data on two vertical scales, put a title on the vertical scale), I cannot find on the Mac version. Surely there is a way. HELP in Excel in the Mac is NO HELP. (True also for WORD--HELP is NO HELP).

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Not able to open outlook mail inserted in Excel

In excel if any outlook mail is embedded or insert, same is not getting opened in Mac but same is opening easily in windows

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. default pref choosen ws format forced to an existing worksheet

I noticed that there is a setting that forced every opened WS to set to dirty state ( unsaved state) and when saved it will use/forced a different, the set default WS format.
    This setting is found, preferences > tab Compatilibity > preffered file format. The popover note says, that I can set this to the one that I used most, but not that it forces me to change an existing WS format to that format.
    So, instead that it is used only with a new document, where and when I do expect it to effect on, Excel doesn't respect…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Why is it that the most important tool in the Tool Bar, the one for editing what you have entered in a cell, KEEPS DISAPPEARING!!!

The field that is necessary when you need to edit or add to ANYTHING in a cell seems to have no name and periodically DISAPPEARS FROM THE TOOL BARS!!!!! I can't even find a name for it!!! DAMN! This reminds me of the old Lotus 1-2-3 when you were "Just supposed to know" that f2 was delete, it wasn't written down anywhere, it wasn't even on the key template! This is the same thing, the field I use the most is just GONE!!!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Can you give a bit more info about the control you are talking about? (maybe a screenshot, or describe the control a bit more)

Unfortunately, while I can tell you’re frustrated, I’m not quite sure what tool you’re referring to. In order to edit a cell, all you should have to do is click the cell and start typing.

Also – what version of Excel are you using?

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

14. 15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Select all within pivot table filter drop down search

In Windows you can select a filter drop down on a pivot table and search for something and select all. On a mac, when you search for something you then have to check all items matching the criteria.

Example: I want to filter by month and I have each day of the month in my filter field name. If I search "Aug" for "August" I then have to check August 1 - 31 rather than being able to just select all within the search.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make VBA code designed in Excel 2013 (PC) compatable! Cannot run pivot chart code!

Make the code that is designed on the PC work on the Mac. Spent a lot of time developing a workbook with code to automate building pivit tables and pivit charts. The pivot table code works. The pivot chart code bombs and am unable to find alternate code!

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support Command+Tilde in Full Screen Mode

When multiple workbooks are open in Excel 2016 for Mac, you are able to switch between them by pressing Command+Tilde only if the workbooks are NOT in full screen mode. If the workbooks ARE in full screen mode, Command+Tilde no longer works.

This presents a significant usability/productivity problem in that you have to mouse through several layers just to switch between open full screen workbooks.

Command+Tilde should work regardless of whether workbooks are being viewed full screen or windowed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add a preference to control gesture sensitivity of Magic Mouse

When scrolling (vertical or horizontal) using Magic Mouse gestures, the sensitivity of the function is set *far* too high. A tiny, inadvertent brush of the surface of the mouse can send you halfway across the (spreadsheet) galaxy! It has become so annoying that I'm thinking of getting a Mundane Mouse just to use with Excel. Some kind of scaling setting would be very helpful.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. The Solver constraints dialog box is sized too small to see inputs and cannot be resized

Resize the dialog box so that the information contained within can be viewed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Revert the ungodly change to make the first key press open a cell instead of type into it

Why did Excel 15.22 change to make the first key press open a cell instead of immediately typing into it? That hasn’t changed that since the 90s and is makes Excel incredibly frustrating to use.

This behavior ONLY occurs on the Mac version and NOT the Windows version.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base