Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please fix the recommended pivot table button

When clicking the recommended pivottable button it doesn't bring up box with recommended pivot tables.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow us to recover our Excel Passwords!!!!!!

It is NOT okay that if a password is forgotten we cannot retrieve them in any way. If you find the need to password protect your spreadsheet, odds are that it is VERY important. What good is it that you cannot retrieve a forgotten password??? Not acceptable.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Since upgrading to Sierra, entering Excel is interrupted by that certain fonts, that I never heard of, are needed by Excel. First of all, I

Since upgrading to Sierra, entering Excel is interrupted by that certain fonts are needed by Excel. First of all, I doubt that it is really a need. The word "need" is often overused. Because I never heard of them, I likely will NEVER use those fonts. Is there a way to bypass this interruption when entering Excel?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Product Setup and Activation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Some commands do not work in Quick Access Toolbar

I need to have certain commands available on the QAT. I use Paste Values a lot but although I can place it in the QAT, it does not work from that location. Please look into this.

Actually the QAT needs a complete rethink in my opinion. It is given so little prominence, especially when compared to the enormous amount of real estate occupied by the ribbons and their huge content of commands, most of which are not required on a regular or even irregular basis.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. ISSUES in Excel MAC 2016

Hi I recently switched from excel 2011 to 2016. Using excel on mac seems like Microsoft purposefully left errors to serious excel users would have no option but to return to windows based computers. I am facing the following issues 1) black cross doesn't appear all the time so at times i am unable to drag or repeat data or formulas 2) when i click on a formula and it doesn't highlight all cells that formula is linked to 3) some times there is a lag, say i enter the numbers 100 into cell it, it takes sometimes very long…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Read embedded PDFs

Unlike Excel for Windows, Excel for Mac can’t read embedded PDFs. When trying to open them, it says “Cannot start the source application for this object. There may not be enough memory available”, which is totally misleading, because the problem is that Excel for Mac doesn’t have this functionality. Please, give us a solution!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow Ribbon AUTOHIDING in Mac Excel

The idea is simple.

IF AUTOHIDE RIBBON is turned on,

THEN the Ribbon collapses into the TITLES OF THE RIBBON TABS automatically as your mouse moves off it. The Ribbon re-expands when your mouse hovers over the Title Tabs that the Ribbon collapsed into.

The whole key to this is to have NO DELAY between when you hover on it and the Ribbon Autoexpands, and NO DELAY when you hover off it and the Ribbon Autocollapses.

Please Don't even put in a 0.1ms delay for aesthetics. Default to 0.00ms delay, so that it SNAPS OPEN AND CLOSED. If you want…

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Quick Access Toolbar icons don't match icons in the customization window

Please make the icons on the Quick Access Toolbar the same as when you select them from the Customization window.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bring back the clipboard in version 2016 for mac

Bring back the clipboard. It makes copying and pasting so much easier.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please add a function to insert .pdf documents into excel speadsheets

I'd like to be able to add embed a .pdf document in a spreadsheet, and view it as either an icon or a link to the embedded document.

Thanks.

261 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

116 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. In the Filter function, please add an option "Blanks" to show blanks only in the column

In the Filter function, please add an option "Blanks" to show blanks only in the column. The blank is all the way at the bottom. Adding it at the top would help filter the blanks quickly.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Touchbar absolute/relative formula shortcut (F4)

When entering a formula, please add a touchbar button (ideally around where F4 used to be) to toggle relative/absolute cell reference. Again, would be much simpler than pressing Fn + F4, which often doesn't work at the moment either.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Decimal separator

Decimal separator

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Please add real time co-authoring

It would be amazing to have the opportunity to edit and view a worksheet among multiple users at the same time. Just like you are able to work in the same document in Word.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Quick Access Toolbar option for above or below the ribbon

Please add the option for the QAT to be above or below the ribbon. Thank you.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fixed Width Data Import Wizard Needs Scroll Bars Like Windows Version

The fixed width data import wizard does not allow horizontal or vertical scrolling in the data preview like it does in the Windows version. This makes it impossible to create or edit Connections for complex text data files. I see at least one other person here with the same request and the issue is far from a new one to me.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Export to SharePoint

It would be great if you could export from Excel to a Sharepoint list in Excel for Mac. At present you have to cut and paste which is prone to error with large files.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. I guess you aren't reading the comments and suggestions or...

....you simply DON'T GIVE A **** about your customers who continue to suffer crashes out of NOWHERE!

Autorecovery - not ONE single time has this alleged function worked for me when a crash occurs.

Autosave - see above! Why have the feature if it simply creates a FALSE HOPE that it can assist when one of your frequent crashes occur on my computer.

BEFORE you offer some egg head, dipshit comment like "you should just save your work frequently as you move along" I'll throw it back at you and say "WHY WOULD I NEED TO IF YOU WOULD FIX…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Zoom In Zoom Out keyboard shortcut

Zoom In/Out keyboard shortcut of: CMD +, CMD -, CMD 0 (zoom in, zoom out, reset zoom) for all Office apps.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Validation drop down with freeze panes issue

There is a little glitch when using a table column with validation from a drop down list combined with a freeze pane (see attached for an example). This is in Office 2016 for Mac OS.

The drop down arrow is not visible if the table is scrolled off to the right. Here is what I see....

1. Create a table with multiple columns

2. Add validation to the first column to choose from a list, in a drop down

3. Freeze panes at the first row of the second column, so that the table headings and the first column are always visible when…
    6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base