Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Cell with a cell (Sub-cell)

Have the ability to create sub-cells that allow for calculations to appear as values within a cell in brackets: example1- cell: Sales-Less Sales discounts (value) and example2- cell: Confidence interval (1.96)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel 2016 Please return the "enable: all files" in the text import box so we can import files that have extensions other than .txt

Excel 2011 had the option at the bottom to switch to "all files" when importing text files so that files that had extensions other than .txt would not be greyed out. This is now gone in Excel 2016 so it is impossible to import text files that have other file extensions unless you rename them (which is very impractical for me).

Please put the option back! I want to be able to import .dat, .ici, .ocw and so on as I used to on Excel 2011.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Scale to Fit

In Excel 2011 and for Windows you used to be able to scale the spreadsheet when printing by setting the Scale to Fit option on the print menu to 1 page wide and leave the pages tall blank (or vice versa). This will no longer work, setting pages wide or pages tall to blank is no longer allowed, 1 tall or 1 wide is the minimum setting. To get this option to work you have to go to the File Page Setup window and set the scaling on the Page tab. This is clumsy and inconvenient. Please bring back the…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I need to be able to include an image/picture/graph -inside- a cell, as cell content and filetype.

This I need so very often! And so great features would be possible.
    Just to name the most obvious, a sortable list, where one column is for representative images. It would be sortable by the other columns and resize the cells accordingly.

I know, that pictures are linked with their left top pixel to the respective cell, but that is way too less to be feasible for all the necessary applications.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Data Validation move after enter

When an item is chosen form an incell dropdown list from data validation, the cell selection should move in accordance with the preference selection for move after enter. Selecting the item from the list should be the same as typing the value and pressing enter. In the current implementation on all platforms it is not. You need to select the item from the list and then select the next cell. If the selection were to move after the selection, it would make data entry much easier and faster, particularly in Excel on the iPad. (For Bob Greenblatt, former MVP)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Reapply Filter

Add the reapply filter option as seen in the Windows version. If you filter on an item and change the cells value so it no longer meets the filter condition then the reapply action should refresh the filter results based on the current cell value and remove the recently changed cell from view.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add the ability to export high quality graphs like vector images.

Add the ability to export high quality graphs like vector images and 300 dpi images. I'm running OSX 10.10.5 with Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011 Version 14.5.9. Options available in this software aren't good enough for high quality graphics.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We consider this in our next round of planning for a future release. In the meantime, please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

8. Floating, reshapeable, self-customized command toolbars

Along with Styles, the FLOATING, SELF-CUSTOMIZED TOOLBARS in Word and Excel were among their most valuable features. Performing the usual functions without immediate visual, local access to numerous commands--and, instead, having to go to fantastically time-and-energy wasting pull-down menus, or dreary, multiple tab accessed toolbars anchored at the top of the page--is pathetically absurd. (Just a few examples among maybe 100: in Excel the 4 command icons for Insert Rows and Columns, print area, wrap-text or not. In Word, the several icons for creating or deleting specific borders in tables for cells, columns, and rows.) It would be great to…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Right Click mini tool bar missing

Excel for Windows has a great feature of a mini tool bar when right clicking on a cell. This feature is missing from the Mac version.
    Please add this to future releases.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Can't get PivotTable time grouping to work..

In older versions of excel I can easily "group" a time column and summarize it by day, month, etc. In Excel 2016 I can no longer get this to work with any data sets so far. Grouping the data just results in a "dumb" group with no summarization features.

I've found documentation of the "auto-grouping" feature for time in Excel, but this never seems to function or appear on my Mac....how can I replicate the legacy function??

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Graph Select Data Y -Axis text entry field bad with long text in text box

In the “Select Data” for a graph, if you are trying to edit an existing “ axis range which has a long text (i.e the range is longer than fits in the edit box) then it is difficult to move the text entry point/cursor to the part outside the edit box. Using the left and right cursor movement keys changes the selection range rather than moving the text entry cursor. the dialog is of fixed size so you cannot widen the dialog/lengthen the text entry box.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the great feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

12. Provide way to avoid automagical field value reformatting when opening CSV files

Theis is related to the leading zeroes one, but it is at least as bothersome that it tries to format as an excel data anything that looks like a date -- including values that are not dates. And the date formatting means you can't use Excel to open a CSV with dates, edit it, and re-save it without completely changing the way dates are formatted.

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all the votes and comments for this suggestion. We are considering improvements to how Excel deals with reformatting (or not) as data is imported and entered from CSV and other sources. Your comments are very helpful.

Steve K [MS Excel]

13. Ability To Change Shape and Picture Names

From what I can tell, it is impossible to change the reference name of a created Shape or a pasted-in picture. It appears you can only rename cell ranges....which seems very odd to me.

Thanks for taking this into consideration!

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in the next round of features. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

14. For charts link a color to a series name so that we don't have to worry about changing its colour anymore.

I've been waiting for this for ages. Why is the color scheme linked to a given order of series? We need to set once and for all a series name to set colour.

36 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the further details and example. We’ll definitely consider this in the context of our future planning. Please continue to vote on this idea.

Thanks,
    Scott {MSFT]

15. Select all within pivot table filter drop down search

In Windows you can select a filter drop down on a pivot table and search for something and select all. On a mac, when you search for something you then have to check all items matching the criteria.

Example: I want to filter by month and I have each day of the month in my filter field name. If I search "Aug" for "August" I then have to check August 1 - 31 rather than being able to just select all within the search.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. The ability to copy (or paste) 'visible cells only' when copying/pasting from a filtered range into a column of empty cells

This option did not seem to work at all, and would just paste a few headings ignoring the filtered data.

(2016-06-20 Dan [MS]: updated title to match Win32 title)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add a preference to control gesture sensitivity of Magic Mouse

When scrolling (vertical or horizontal) using Magic Mouse gestures, the sensitivity of the function is set far too high. A tiny, inadvertent brush of the surface of the mouse can send you halfway across the (spreadsheet) galaxy! It has become so annoying that I'm thinking of getting a Mundane Mouse just to use with Excel. Some kind of scaling setting would be very helpful.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. RemoveDuplicates in VBA not working properly

When dealing with multiple columns, i.e.

CODE: range.removeduplicates columns:=array(1,2)

A prompt showed up and ask user whether or not delete duplicate values

It causes problem because without confirming deletion, the code won't run correctly. and what make the whole thing worse is that the code finishes running before I had a chance to confirm the deletion.

Please help

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Improve graph performance with plots containing >1000 datapoints in Excel 2016

Excel 2016 chokes when handling plots containing many data points. Copying these plots from Excel to Word or Powerpoint causes issues in those applications as well.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add a DateTime Cell Format

Excel has been around for what seems to be forever, and this problem has been around for what seems to be forever!

When working with data, such as a database extract, all DateTime fields and considered to be a Time format. So 24/02/2014 15:30
    appears as 30:32.0.

The function I use more than anything, but a long way is to reformat this cell to dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm. Every time, for a million times over the years!

It would save the world hours of (confusion and) productivity time if Excel had a DateTime format, which combined our Windows preferred date format with…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base