Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Insert Symbol calls up Character Viewer in Excel 16.36 on Mojave, which doesn't work correctly.

OS X Character Viewer does't have an "Insert" button, which the earlier Excel Symbol Viewer did have. Selecting a Character does not insert it. Double-clicking inserts two square characters, but correct font is not selected, and is not visible in the Viewer. Square symbols are invisible in completed cell, but do appear in a print-out.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Does not follow Mac user interface guidelines, very confusing!

Big confusion between ribbon and Top menus. It is hard to find commands on the ribbon vs the top menu. I had to use the web version and couldn't find the command that I was looking for in the ribbon! Had to download the file to my Mac to edit. If it's not FULL compatible why have a cloud version. As a very long time user of excel since the '90s you're going the wrong way

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Autosave

For office365 please make the auto save on a Mac to where ever one wants. Not just to the cloud. I do not share my files

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Please add the "search for a function" capability on Excel for Mac, like it exists on Windows

Windows allows users to search for a function if they can't find it themselves... this is very user-friendly. Can you please do the same for the Mac Excel?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Ctrl+M to merge cells

I've noticed that there is no default key binding for ctrl + M and think this would be fantastic for it to be the "merge" function of highlighted cells. Having to select cells and then click merge each time is more arduous than it needs to be.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Fix disappearing 1000 separator nuked by April 2020 update

20 year veteran excel user, dismayed when recent update eliminated 1000s separator display and insists on treating last 2 digits typed as if AFTER a decimal point.NOT a simple checkbox fix. NOT a region fix (though changing . to - changes 123.45 to 123-45 and changing group character to ; previews 1;234 but causes an error on save. Changing group char to , seems to work in Number Format dialog box, but not in worksheet.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. The Acounting Double Line.

Sometimes I feel that it would be useful to control the color of each half of this line as separate colors. (Example: top black, bottom red)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please rename AutoSave. People confuse it with AutoRecover

People do not understand that AutoSave is a new feature for OneDrive and SharePoint. They constantly mistake it for AutoRecover. AutoSave should be renamed something like CloudVersions or CloudRestore to indicate that it involves only files saved to the cloud,

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Previously, the cursor could move down 1R & nC to the left. Now it can't. What happened?

Previously, the cursor could move down 1R & nC to the left. Now it can't. What happened?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Linked Cells to a formula in other sheets are not highlighted

If a cell in sheet1 has a formula which is linked to few cells in sheet2, upon double clicking the formula cell, the linked cells in sheet2 is not getting highlighted. If the formula is linked to the cells in same sheet, then only they do get highlighted.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Touch-Bar on my MacBook Pro

Is there a way to customize the Touch-Bar on my MacBook Pro to emulate the custom ribbon or customized toolbar?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. improve the filter function in excel for Mac - make it work the same as with excel for PC

improve the filter function in excel for Mac - make it work the same as with excel for PC

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Aggregation by color in a table

In a filter view for a columnn add an aggregate function like SUM, COUNT which automatically aggregates by color like Filter does.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Faint green search feature is frustrating

The search feature is visually awful. The faint green outline does not stand out at all. Please use a bolder/brighter color or highlight?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow Edit mode in "Select Data Source" in charts

Being able to toggle between Edit and Enter mode is very useful, and is permitted in function entry. In the Windows version of Excel, F2 also works in "Select Data Series" for charts, but not in the Mac version. Can you please fix this?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Stock feature should work on standalone office version for MAC

The Stock information retrival feature does not work on the standalone version of office on a MAC. There was no notification that this feature did not work before I purchased Office 2019. Unfortunately for me this was one of the primary reasons that I upgraded to 2019. Could you please make Excel work as it should.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. dare la possibilità di fare la stampa veloce dalla scrivania con cmd+p senza aprire i documenti

dare la possibilità di fare la stampa veloce dalla scrivania con cmd+p senza aprire i documenti, oppure con il pulsante destro del mouse ripristinare la funzione. stampa

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Support Internet Query Connection (.iqy files)

It would be helpful for Excel to Mac to support internet query connections.

When exporting a list from Sharepoint, the .iqy file is downloaded, which I subsequently can't open in Excel for Mac.

127 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking your time to suggest and vote for IQY support on Mac. We do think that this suggestion has merit but we don’t think that we’ll be able to devote time to it in the near future. Worth noting however that we are working to bring Power Query to Mac which will enable you to connect, load and shape data from multiple data sources, including SharePoint.

You may review the latest status of what Power Query functionality is currently supported on Mac here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/office/7b2f337d-e7d2-4fdf-bf00-3dfbb1e5e9c5

Guy Hunkin
    Principal PM, Excel Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base