Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable functions across Excel for PC and Mac

1. Ribbon for Excel

2. Sunburst charts and Tree graphs - every graphic that can be done using PC but not Excel for Mac

3. Interpolation

4. Function keys

5. Thousands more examples

6. If Microsoft intends to keep Office for Mac and Excel for Mac a vastly inferior product than Office/Excel for PC, the company should own that and adjust both pricing and expectations.

7. Also, produce a usable document which clearly documents all omitted features so users don't waste time learning to use a new feature only to discover separately Microsoft's profit-driven decision to ignore the customer needs.

8. User experience research is not new. Microsoft…
    4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow search in slicer

Allow search in slicer

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Match Destination Format

In Preferences, allow for Match Destination Formatting as a default. Currently you can only do this by manually going to the Home>Paste area.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. auto recovery and everything else.

Auto recovery never works. Since this awful version of Excel (now on 15.39) crashes frequently, I am losing work too many times. Not once have I been able to recover a file after a crash. The autorecovery directory is always empty. I think I'm done with this. In a real attempt to post positive feedback to improve the OFFICE 2016 programs, not one of my suggestions, often supported by dozens of other users, have been acted on. Microsoft clearly has no interest in supporting the MAC version of Office. It's a disgrace that a company with such a global monopoly…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix Solver Solving Method drop down in Mac Excel 2016

The drop down for select Solving Method in Solver does not work in Mac Excel 2016. Nothing happens when one clicks to reveal the drop down menu.

One can select an alternate solving method via the arrow keys. Please fix the Solver drop down.

Thank you.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. After upgrade to Office 365, "cut and paste" does not work correctly.

In Excel 2011, if I cut or copied a cell to Clipboard and then inserted a row, I could paste the item in Clipboard into a new cell. With Office 365, if I cut or copy a cell and then do anything such as inserting a row, the Clipboard is erased. This is such a fundamental action in Excel - cutting and pasting - that the "improvement" should be undone. I'd like to know when this fix is accomplished. Thank you.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

31 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. restore option for column width dialogue box to display in inches as in Excel 15.31 and earlier

PLEASE restore option for column width dialogue box to display in inches as in Excel 15.31 and earlier

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add support for Get & Transform (formerly Power Query)

Make Get & Transform (formerly Power Query) available in Excel for Mac (like in Excel for Windows)

3,807 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

983 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pleased to announce that the first set of Power Query features are now available in version 16.29 and greater. At this stage you can refresh from text, CSV, XLSX, JSON and XML files.

Refer to the following blog post for more details:
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Excel-Blog/Get-amp-Transform-Power-Query-in-Excel-for-Mac-Phase-1/ba-p/876840

I encourage you to try the new functionality and share your feedback with us via Send a Smile/Frown at the top right corner in your Excel for Mac.

9. conditional formatting in pivot table - widget

In windows you get a little widget to select data and ignore sub-totals or totals in a pivot table, so you can add conditional formatting... the little widget does not pop up in Excel for Mac - can we add this in?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make Cmd+Y repeat the previous action

all of a sudden, command-Y no longer functions as "repeat last action" --- please fix this!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. vba ODBC connection

ActiveWorkbook.Connections("ConnectionName").ODBCConnection is broken. Please fix this single command. It is a blocking issue. All other ODBC commands are working as expected. Please fix this one so everything is working. Thanks

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please update f"ormat comment" to allow images.

I really need to be able to add an image to a new comment. A pop up of a hard to see thumbnail image as a larger image in a comment box would help my cataloguing system no end. However, I can't find a "format comment" option anywhere on Excel 2016 to allow me to do this and forums seem to support the fact that this has been removed since the last version. Uh, why?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Insert photos into comment box!!!

Not sure why this option isn't available, completely leaving your customer base out to hang with a feature I used when I had PC...

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

44 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Excel launching options

Please restore the option for Excel to open the last workbook in use when launched, not the wretched Workbook 1, which I have to close 99.99% of the time, and then reopen what I really want to work on.
    This feature was there in 2008, and Googling it shows that lots of people obviously want it back.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Page orientation for printing should default to how document setting so it doesn't have to be re-set every time you print for every sheet.

Page orientation set in an Excel document/worksheet should stay put until the user changes it and it should print in that orientation unless otherwise changed during print. It should not revert to portrait (in both worksheet & printer) whenever print is selected. Hence, you should be able to have a workbook that contains worksheets of both portrait and landscape orientation and be able to print them all together. This is an unbelievable shortcoming.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Support for regular expression functions REGEXEXTRACT, REGEXMATCH, REGEXREPLACE

I would like to see support for regular expressions in Excel for Mac functions. Desired functions:
    REGEXEXTRACT
    REGEXMATCH
    REGEXREPLACE
    How they would work is explained on https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3098244?hl=en

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. auto correct in a text box

why doesn't auto correct work in text boxes???
    I use text boxes in my quote template and i always have to write everything out. i have created some of my own text replacement inside of the auto correct preference tab so i do not always have to type out common things i write. They will only work in a cell and not a text box.
    this is very annoying and also time consuming. e.g. si = Supply and install.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fix problem with relative reference formulas in conditional formatting

At present, if I want to compare 2 values in a row, I can easily use the conditional formatting feature to choose from which value is the highest, and change the colour of the cell for example.

The problem occurs when I want to apply that to each row.

At present, if I select the cells and use format painter, I can apply it to the 2 cells in the row below, and the conditional formatting formula is applied perfectly (relative to the 2 new cells).

However, if I want to apply that all rows relatively, select the cells with…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Interpolation function for Excel

When you have a number in cell A1, say it is "10" and then another number in cell J1 and it is "100" it would be great to have a function to do linear interpolation (lerp) between the two numbers without having to resort to long and complicated formula that is easy to get wrong.

Function LERP:
    =LERP(startvaluecell, endvaluecell) for a simple useage
    or
    =LERP2(startvalue, rangefirstcell, endvalue, rangeendcell)

So using LERP and my example:
    A1= "10" , B1=LERP(A1, J1), C1=LERP(A1,J1), D1=LERP(A1,J1),…I1=LEPR(A1, J1), J1="100"

SO USING LERP2 and my example
    A1="10",…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. This workbook contains content that isn't supported in this version of Excel.

I have an Office 365 subscription. It is loaded on both my Mac and PC. When I create files in my PC I often find they will not open on my Mac. I have to open them as read-only and then save a copy and then delete the PC original so I don't end up with endless copies. I can open the Mac copies just fine on the PC... It would be nice if the subscription worked seamlessly between both my computers.
    I don't use macros or any really 'fancy' functions in my spreadsheets. They are pretty much basic spreadsheets…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base