Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bring back all the macro features lost in 2011 and 2016

With 2011 and especially 2016 many of the vital functions in VBA recording and editing were lost making the writing of VBA macros impossible. User forms, debugging and relative referencing were three such features lost.

I used VBA to add features not available in Excel. As a transcriber of old church records I enter a lot of pre 1900 dates. These must be in a special dd mmm yyyy format which used to be checked by macro. I also check other fields for CAPITALISATION and Proper Case. None of this is now possible.

The advanced issue of a new version…

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Beginning with the release of version 16.x in early 2018, we have aligned the VBA capabilities of Excel on Mac and Windows to a much greater extent than in the past. Hopefully this has addressed all the needs of this suggestion.

If there are specific issues that are not addressed, please update to the current version of Excel by going to Help > Check for Updates. If the issue persists, then please send feedback using the Send-a-frown button in the top corner of the app.

2. Give tree map on Mac excel

Give new maps in excel on Mac application. this is unfair.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news. The Tree Map chart is available in Excel for Mac v16. There are still some finishing touches to come in the coming months. Some formatting options are not yet available, but you can do the basics now.

Steve K [MS Excel]

3. Add sun-burst chart

cannot use Sun-burst chart with Excel 2016

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sunburst charts (also treemap, waterfall, and histogram charts) are now available in Excel for Mac version 16.×. To update, go to the Help menu and choose Check for Updates.

For O365 subscribers, there are also Funnel charts and 2D Map Charts available with version 16.×.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

4. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The IFS function is now available for O365 subscribers with version 16.×. The SWITCH function is also available in version 16.×. To update, go to the Help menu and choose Check for Updates.

5. Allow removeduplicates to be used in VBA

In windows, remove duplicates function can be used in VBA and is very effective. Currently, Mac doesn't support this function in VBA. Please add this to be used on Mac as well. Thank you.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news. In version 16.x, the RemoveDuplicates command works in VBA.

Here’s an example of the code:
    ActiveSheet.Range(“$a$1”).CurrentRegion.RemoveDuplicates Columns:=Array(1, 2), Header:=xlGuess

Steve K [MS Excel]

6. Navigating To The Next Worksheet After Editing A Worksheet Tab

When double clicking in a worksheet tab and editing its name etc.., after pressing enter the user cannon press Control or Alt +Pg up or down and move to the next sheet. The user MUST click in the worksheet 1st before using the keyboard shortcut to navigate to the next worksheet. This is not correct behavior and seems to be a bug. Does not work like this in Office 2011 or the Windows version. Can you please fix? Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Fix data entry

I'm trying to enter the text "HSA" into an Excel cell. No matter what I do or how many times I type it, Excel changes it to "HAS". What the **** is wrong with you people!?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have good news to share. In the January 2019 release of Excel for both Mac and Windows, this issue has been resolved. Once you install the update, Excel will allow you to override any autocorrection simply by going back and typing over the correction. For example, if you type “HSA” into cell A1, Excel will autocorrect it to “HAS”. If you go back and type “HSA” again in the same place, Excel will not correct it again. It will still autocorrect “HSA” if you type it into a different location, or if another autocorrection happens before you change “HAS” back to “HSA”. To summarize, Excel will no longer make the same autocorrection 2 times consecutively.

This fix is included in Excel for Mac if you have version 16.20 or greater, and Excel for Windows if you have version 16.0.11126 or greater.

8. Please allow side by side window view in an excel workbook

I am so used to being able to alt+tab between two windows in the same Excel workbook. This should be available in Office for Mac 365

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bring back CMD-F shortcut for find/replace

Please . . . bring back this shortcut! I use this frequently. It takes up valuable time to go about it the long way.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Since this request was about 2 different features, and the Waterfall chart is complete, I’m marking this suggestion as completed. If you were requesting the Forecast Sheet feature, please feel free to create a new suggestion and specify just that particular item so that we can get an accurate picture of the support for it.

Steve K [MS Excel]

11. The CONCAT Function explanation has an incorrect example.

Example 3, a table of examples has =CONCAT(C2,",",B2) but the result shown is incorrect

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for letting us know, we updated the topic and are publishing it now. Should be live in a few hours (11/22/2016)

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

12. Flash Fill For Mac

Flash Fill For Mac

304 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

96 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news! Flash Fill is now available in Excel for Mac if you upgrade to version 16.13 or greater. To use it, you need to click the Flash Fill button or press CTRL+E, since it won’t happen automatically as it does in Excel for Windows.

13. Fix the Broken Carat in the Formula Bar

The formula bar in Excel is horrendously broken. The carat randomly skips around and you cannot highlight text properly which makes it impossible to accurately edit formulas. This is especially heinous with long formulas, however this occurs with formulas OF ANY LENGTH.

Here is a video of this infuriating behavior:

https://vimeo.com/165402559

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make VBA code designed in Excel 2013 (PC) compatable! Cannot run pivot chart code!

Make the code that is designed on the PC work on the Mac. Spent a lot of time developing a workbook with code to automate building pivit tables and pivit charts. The pivot table code works. The pivot chart code bombs and am unable to find alternate code!

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fix click-drag to select cells in Mac

I can't click-drag to select multiple cells with the mouse/trackpad. When trying to do so, it only selects the first cell I click. I can only select multiple cells with the keyboard. I am currently running version 15.25 (160719) - new install on a new Mac running OS X 10.11.6.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Tye,

This issue only repros on Macs with the new Tracpad (or new MBP with force touch).

We’ve fixed the issue in build 15.25 (160721) and later.

Until you get that build (you may be able to update to it now), the immediate workaround is todo the following:

1. Go to System preference→Track pad→
    2. Disable Force click and haptic feedback

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

16. Fix column width dialog box to accept units in points, not inches

Dear Microsoft. How can I change column width measurements in Excel 2016 for Mac from inches back to characters or points, as in Excel for Windows?

I recently started using Excel 2016 for Mac to test templates for sharing compatibility between the Windows and Mac platforms.

After selecting one or multiple columns, and then right-clicking and selecting Column Width, one would normally enter points into the dialog box. But in Excel 2016 for Mac I am forced to enter inches instead of points. Ironically, when I grab a column border in the column heading, I am able to resize the…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for requesting this update. This has been fixed and you should see the column width shown in characters and row height in pixels in the dialog. Please update to Excel for Mac version 15.34 or greater to see this.

17. Freeze Panes broken in 15.19.1

Frozen rows and columns scroll into the unfrozen area at the top and left when scrolling to the top row or leftmost column. After scrolling into the frozen cells, clicking the the top or leftmost unfrozen cell selects multiple cells equal to the number of frozen rows and columns.

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

30 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is fixed as of 15.20, which was released in May (so if you haven’t updated, please do!)

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

older—————————————-

Hi all,

We know that this broke in 15.19.1, and we’ve got a fix that will be in 15.20.

Sorry for the inconvenience. It should be that once you scroll down, so that the duplicated rows are no longer shown, they won’t be shown again.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

18. Fix navigation arrows for worksheet tabs in full screen view

When using excel on a mac in full screen view the arrows that appear to the very left of the first tab name do not work. This is super frustrating when you are using workbooks with many tabs that overflow the width of the screen. Switching through them with keyboard shortcuts to get to a tab that is off screen is very tedious.
    This functionality returns in non-full screen views.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Page Break Preview view

Please implement the "Page Break Preview" view like in Excel 2016 (Windows Version)

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

36 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This request has been completed. You can now find the Page Break Preview button next to the Page Layout View button on both the ribbon and in the status bar. Thanks again to everyone who asked for and voted for this suggestion.

Steve K [MS Excel]

20. I would like to have the formula bar as a Mac user

Please add the formula bar for Mac users to increase the font size

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

We have this functionality already – the formula bar exists on all versions of Excel.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base