Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. A permanently Floating Replace Window would enhance workflow

When having to replace similar but not identical cell content at many different places in a large spreadsheet it would sometimes be convenient if the Replace Window could be made permanently floating. Then you would be able to navigate to another part of the spreadsheet without having to close the Replace window -- while using the Find Next command in the Replace window is not a practical option -- and could then easily apply the same type of replacement in the new but slightly different cell area.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Blank page in Print Preview bug identified and reproduced

I noticed this problem for a long time now and I found a way to reproduce it as follow. It is clearly an Excel bug that corrupts the file.

1. Open a virgin file, add a second tab (sheet2) if not already there and save the file as and xlsb file (binary).

2. On sheet2, define a print area in which your enter something.

3. Open VB Project and set up visible property of sheet1 to xlSheetVeryHidden.

4. Save the file, close it and reopen it.

When you try to print sheet2, the print preview shows a blank page. See the file TestError1 attached.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. When quitting Excel, Word, or PowerPoint, and then reopening them (or restarting my Mac), none of them will reopen the previously open docum

When quitting Excel, Word, or PowerPoint, and then reopening them (or restarting my Mac), none of them will reopen the previously open documents. Unchecking the option Close windows when quitting app in the General tab of Mac System Preferences, the Office 2019 for Mac doesn’t reopen the files that are previously opened either. This was never a problem before, but this new feature seriously interrupts my work flow. Please restore the functionality that made it possible for documents to automatically reopen upon restart. I hate trying to remember what I was working on and dig through stored files to reopen…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. enable "Relationships" or "OLAP Tools" buttons in Excel Mac

enable "Relationships" or "OLAP Tools" buttons in Excel Mac

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Format Control Element, change color and font size in excel 365 for Mac os

I would like to get the option to change the color and especially the font size of a control element within an excel sheet. This seem not to be possible in the office 365 excel version for mac. Please let me know if I am wrong or when your are going to implement the idea :-)

Many thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make cells able to overflow

The text in a cell can wrap, shrink or, as per default, overflow the cell edge. And when double-clicking the edge of the column header to make the column set to auto-width, if the cell is not wrapping or shrinking the column width will expand to contain the whole text.

In some cases, I'd like the text to keep overflowing even though the text is larger than the column width. A kind of "ignore when determining column width"-setting. It would probably fit best at the same place as the wrap/shrink setting.

I would use it for constructs like a list…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Undo/Redo (Command+Z) should be workbook dependent.

Currently : Working in two or more workbooks in separate windows share an undo history.

Idea : Workbooks should be independent and have individual edit history.

For example:

Workbook A : Data - sort - column A
    Workbook B : type "hello world"
    Workbook A : COMMAND+Z (undo) should undo the sort in workbook A.

Currently it undoes the type in Workbook B.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. format or extension no valid

I don't understand why I can't open files from 2018. Twi things happened: a) the file is saved with the name given but when I want to open a message comes up saying 'Excel can't open this file. Format or extension might not be valid. Check that the file is not damaged' so I can't open it (see attached); b) the name of the file has been changed straightaway by the computer with this kind of name 'DG1DSDIRHDR' (see attached). I haven't done anything and it seems that I ve lost a lot of documents as I…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Improving Pivot Tables regarding control source data and caches.

I had a big problem after an office update. My files couldn't be open correctly because some pivots had some links to other external files. But as the microsoft support told me it is not possible to delete those links to other files. I didnt understand why, but they told me a pivot table will never forget those links and I have to rebuild everything from the scratch. Please add a possibility to overview, add and delete all links to other files out of a pivot table.

Additional I ask my self why there is no window/funktion to visualize the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Power Pivot function on PC must ALSO be usable feature on Mac

Seems a rip-off that Mac users must pay the same price for MS Office only to be short-changed on the utility of the program. Mostly use Excel and Outlook. The latter is generally okay, but Excel lacks.

1. Control keys do not navigate properly on the Mac and/or display does not move properly, especially large files; and germain to this thread,

2. Building pivot tables on the Mac is an absolute pain in the ... while very simple on a PC. Learned (from MS support) that this is a feature called "Power Pivot" that simply is not available on the Mac. Makes…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Open and Save files to Personal Vault on OneDrive

When I click on Open File, the dialog let’s me choose files from my OneDrive account, however it does not let me go into my Personal Vault folder (doesn’t show) to edit files there. Please allow Personal Vault files to be editable this way.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. stacked excel workbooks (windows or mac)

i would be a nice idea if we could be able ta manage our excel workbooks as stacked ( one behind the other) and hovering the mouse over to be able to see the stacked workbooks.

its another way of grouping the workbooks, but one behind the other, so we would not need to scroll so much left or right when we have many workbooks in a file. !!!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. QAT buttons still greyed out (although they are functional) with Excel 16.35 up-to-date, back to Office 2011?

Well ... this is now february 2021 and QAT buttons are still greyed out (although functional) on version 16.35 up-to-date => what's the deal?
    Was (and still is) working fine on Office 2011 (version 14. 4.5) => no can update to 64bits OS without downgrading functionalities going back over more than 10 years?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Conditional Formatting by row

I often come across instances where I need to heat map a lot of lines of data using heat map option in conditional formatting. However to do this by row I have to select a row at a time. I tried to do a via script but my scripting skills aren't great. Could we get a option where we can do the heat map by all data (currently available) as well as heat map by row of data? heat map by column may be useful for some also.

Happy to be contacted too explain further/upload examples.

thank you!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow me to upload my excel worksheets to my drive multiple times.

Allow me to upload my excel worksheets to my drive multiple times. Please.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Need to be able to step through formulas and functions in Excel.

It would be nice for the mac version to have the same features as the windows version. Especially when I have to switch between OSes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base