Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Increase number of rows that can be filtered to more than 100,000

Increase number of rows that can be filtered to more than 100,000. 10,000 is way too small when we deal with our data base. Is there maybe a way to increase this manually ?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support Internet Query Connection (.iqy files)

It would be helpful for Excel to Mac to support internet query connections.

When exporting a list from Sharepoint, the .iqy file is downloaded, which I subsequently can't open in Excel for Mac.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Userforms to VBA in excel for Mac

UserForms are not available in excel for Mac users

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 'Contains' should be by default option selected in Filter instead of 'Choose One'

Contains could be the most commonly used option and system should allow to use this without using trackpad through shortcuts only. Cmd+Shift+F can put the filter. Then Option+DownArrow opens up filter but then there is not way to proceed with shortcut. User must have to use track pad to select the option (where I am suggesting it could be 'Contains' as default)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. A cella védelem egyszerűsítése direkt módon. Illetve, ha jelszóval védem a munkalapot, akkor személyre szabható legyen az opciós lista.

Túl bonyolult a pozíciók védelme. Elsősorban a függvények védelme nem értelmes számomra. A jelszó védelem esetén megadott lista személyre szabhatóvá tétele. Nem tudom hogy, kell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. change language excel MAC

How can I set up english language? I have a mac and it is impossible to change the language from the setting of excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Product Setup and Activation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Including a time-or datestamp on templates for reports

To insert a time or a date, we can either use the stamp function (e.g. ctrl+;) or use the formula (=TODAY). I would like to have the use of a timestamp inside a template, so that when we create a new sheet from that template, the fixed date appears, i.e. as a datestamp. I haven't found how to do this using help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Named Ranges Can't be Data Sources?

I can't believe the mac version has this massive bug. You can only use hard-coded, specific ranges for a data source. The Windows version of Excel has no problem letting you use a named range for a Data Source. I noticed this affects pivot tables, charts and graphs. No named ranges allowed for data sources. Ridiculous.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Consistent F2 Key to toggle point and edit

There are a number of Dialogue boxes including Define Names, Data Validation where the F2 key does not toggle between edit/point. This inconsistency hampers productivity and increases frustration. Shortfall observed across a range of Apple devices/Excel versions. BTW Windows versions are fine

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Data Validation List able to work with Array Constants

Please make the Data Validation List feature work with array constants.
    Like to be able to define a named Array Constant and use that in a Validation List. After all they are both lists and the Data Validation list works with a classic Named Array.

Requirement scenario is to share a workbook across organisations and ensure consistent data entry or option selection without VBA, as VBA is often stripped/blocked at organisational boundaries. This would be a very simple and straightforward solution improving user experience and organisational efficiency.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Control of command button colour in Excel for Mac 2011

Currently I have to use Excel for Mac 2011 as the later versions do not have the ability to create user forms. This is subject of other suggestions. But here I suggest a change is made to the 2011 version allowing the user to set the background colour properly.

The default setting is incorrect - off white. When the default for the Mac version should be RGB 170,170,170. It also should have an option to be changed for any user. The default border is non-existent and is clearly an error.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Temporary variables in formulas

It would be amazing if you could implement a function that allows you to set a temporary variable to use within a formula! Something like the syntax used in OpenRefine's "with()" control (borrowing their syntax for my example - link to their wiki below).

Syntax:
    WITH( [Function A], [Variable Name: string], [Function B] )

[Function A] would get evaluated first, and then the result could be referenced within [Function B] using the [Variable Name] string (essentially as if it was a named range). With this you can reuse a value in a formula multiple times without needing to repeat the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. A real worksheet template

I create a lot of workbooks with a repetitive worksheet. For example, a workbook would contain multiple sheets representing a particular day for a project, with the workbook representing the project.

Each of these worksheets have exactly the same formulas and layout, so I create a 'template' worksheet in the workbook, which is then copied to create each of the worksheets.

If I want to change the template, I have to go through each of the copies to manually alter the formulas.

What would be cool is:

1. Create a worksheet as a template

2. Reference that template in copies (Copy from…
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. MAKE IT SO IT DOESN'T CRASH!!!

Guys! Excel crashes every 15 mins or more! It's almost unusable and I have to use it. It ridiculous how bad it is. I shouldn't have had to pay money for this and it makes my job 10x harder. Please fix it. For the amount of money I paid for office (and excel) it should be a working program. Right now Microsoft is a thief of my money and time with the amount of times I've had to redo work with all the crashes. I don't want to hear how you fixed it, just fix it!! (yes, I've updated the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Find and Replace Support for Non-Printable Control Characters (Alt Codes/Unicode)

For example, searching for a printable character "x" and replacing with a linefeed <Alt>+000A, or carriage return <Alt>+000D.

The Find and Replace functionality in the Windows version of Excel supports this fine when replacing with <Alt>+0010.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. microsoft excel 2016 v15.22 read-only cannot edit the .xlsb file.

Microsoft Excel 2016 v15.22 read only i cannot edit my system generated file.

all sheet are lock. but the windows all file can be open.

please help..!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Obtaining Hang Seng Index from the Stocks module

I am using Excel for Mac, version 16.30 (always updated to the latest version)

I can easily obtain stock quotes all index members of the Dow Jones, Hang Seng Index, Swiss Market Index. Also to retrieve the index quotes for DJIA, S&P500, DAX, etc. is not an issue at all.

Obtaining the quote for the Hang Seng Index itself I haven't figured out for a couple of months already.

“HSI” returns "H.I.S. Co Ltd (OTCM:HISJF)” “Hang Seng” returns “No results found for Hang Seng” “^HSI” returns results such as H-Source Holdings, etc.

I have reached out to Microsoft calling the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Obtaining Hang Seng Index from the Stocks module

I am using Excel for Mac, version 16.30 (always updated to the latest version)

I can easily obtain stock quotes all index members of the Dow Jones, Hang Seng Index, Swiss Market Index. Also to retrieve the index quotes for DJIA, S&P500, DAX, etc. is not an issue at all.

Obtaining the quote for the Hang Seng Index itself I haven't figured out for a couple of months already.

“HSI” returns "H.I.S. Co Ltd (OTCM:HISJF)” “Hang Seng” returns “No results found for Hang Seng” “^HSI” returns results such as H-Source Holdings, etc.

I have reached out to Microsoft calling the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add icons to charting bling to make better charts like in Windows

It is nice in a column chart to see meaningful pictures instead of boring bars. Mac only allows you to import an image. Windows supplies a library of icons making it easier and more robust.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bug: Print sets page layout to the same across all worksheets on Excel for Mac

To reproduce the issue, setup two sheets with different page layout (e.g. fit to pages, orientation etc). Select both and press print, then press cancel. Both sheets will now have the same print layout. This seems like a bug because:

• This is not expected behaviour as it directly contradicts the documentation for Excel for Mac (see link below)

• Pressing print shouldn't change the design of the spreadsheet and destroy painstakingly setup per-sheet page layout settings that take a long time to fix after this bug has paved over them

• The Windows version does not have this problem

• It is highly…
    3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Printing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base