Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Customizable Ribbon Menu Item

In my opinion, there are too many preset ribbon items, which makes finding the command/tools one needs more difficult and time consuming. Immediate access to some tools is essential. The Quick Access Toolbar attempts to provide this function, but let's face it, the QAT is relegated to a place of very low prominence and capacity. And besides, some tools do not currently function if placed in the QAT (e.g. Paste Values) and some tools are not available for the QAT (e.g. Format Painter).

Would it be possible to have the capability of having a customizable Ribbon Menu in the same…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Modern Charts for Excel

Make the Modern Charts (Treemap, Sunburst etc) that are available on the Windows version of Office also available on the Mac version

326 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

67 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi All – the new version of Excel for Mac (version 16.x) includes the modern chart types. There are TreeMap, Sunburst, Waterfall, and Histogram charts now available. Office 365 subscribers also get Funnel and Map charts (as on Excel for Windows). There are some improvements coming for all these chart types in the next few months.

To update to the latest version of Excel, go to the Help menu and click Check for Updates.

Thanks – Steve K [MS Excel]

3. Fix broken scrolling in Excel for Mac *** IN NORMAL VIEW *** (see other idea for Page Layout View)

Vertical mouse scrolling in Excel is laggy and jumpy in Normal View.

I've posted (and may others have posted) about this actress all of Microsoft's forms for months. This issue has existed since the first betas.

Here are some links:

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/9194508-erratic-mouse-scrolling-in-excel-15-2-3

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macofficepreview-macexcel/excel-2016-on-mac-jumpy-scrolling/391412e8-6c18-4796-b757-3a6613995306?auth=1

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2016-macexcel/excel-2016-mac-jumpy-scrolling/22583584-7b3a-4817-b401-f7267868adb2

Today's update, 15.15, did not fix this issue. I'm afraid we are still stuck on 2011 from a usability standpoint. This is awful.

I've uploaded a video of 15.15 here: https://twitter.com/rxcs/status/654031164001247232

215 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

185 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update 2016-06-30:
    Hi all,

I’m marking this idea as completed, as we’ve determined that scrolling in “Normal view” is working correctly on various monitor types/Mac hardware.

Note 1: We do know that scrolling in Page Layout View (where you see page margins, like Word) is slower. If you are experiencing slow/laggy scrolling there, please go add your vote to this idea and *include a video if you can – that really helps us!*

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/15044469-scrolling-is-slow-laggy-in-page-layout-view-where

Note 2: You can tell if you are in Page Layout or Normal View by clicking on the View Ribbon, and then checking the two left-most buttons. The view you are in will be “selected” there.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

=========

Update 2016-04-13:
    We rolled out more scrolling fixes in 15.21, and we think this fixes most of the remaining issues of scrolling in Normal View. (At least internally for us, it seems to have fixed…

4. Bring back REAL keyboard customization!

It is completely not true, that keyboard customization through OS X keyboard preferences really works. Tell me how to make a shortcut to fill cell with color: for instance CTRL+2? Or how to paste values (without any mid-steps)? Or even do something more advanced than copy/paste with my own combination of inputs.

The fact is that office 2016 for mac lacks this feature and this "workaround" is NOT a replacement. Please bring back the option that was SO USEFUL!

287 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

65 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Font smoothing

Please enable the font smoothing on Mac Book pro (not retina display).
    The fonts look horrible on non-retina displays.
    Moreover, I read a lot of complaints about this missing feature.
    Thanks.

210 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

88 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fix Solver after update 15.19.1

After the update 15.19.1 the picking problem is fixed. But now solver don't work anymore. When you try to solve a problem nothing happens.
    Please fix this!!

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Several issues with Solver have been fixed since this suggestion was posted, so I am marking this post as completed. If specific issues are noticed, please post the details about what you are seeing. More detail is better, so that we can try to reproduce and investigate the issue.

Steve K [MS Excel]

7. Make the solver work! (Input boxes should use the reference/range picker)

Fix the solver so that fields that take range references as inputs have the reference picker control (RefEdit), which you can click on and then select the range to use. Today, you have to manually type in the range, and it's super frustrating.

[Note: Title and Description updated on 10/19/2015 by Dan [MS]. Original description follows:)
    just make it work!

122 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

70 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great news – as of Mac Excel 15.19.1 this should be fixed – the reference picker in Solver is back!

Thanks,
    Dan [XL]

8. Support UTF-8 for .csv import/export

UTF-8 is the dominant character encoding in the Western hemisphere.

At present when importing and exporting .csv files UTF-8 is not supported and non-standard characters become garbled!

This is a massive wtf!

P.s. regex support in find and replace would also be super useful!

137 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

= 2016-12-12 =
    Hi all,

Just wanted to share the news that we’ve added support for UTF-8 encoded CSV files to Mac Excel.

Once you install Excel 2016 build 15.29 or later (which hit’s the streets shortly), you should have a working UTF-8 CSV option as one of the file types (and of course, we load them too).

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

PS – You may notice the option in Save As UTF-8 CSV in 15.28 as well. We had a couple bugs in it then, which is why we didn’t announce it. Please wait for 15.29 before using it.

= 2015-11-26 =

Thanks for the suggestion Matt. We’ll be taking a look at CSVs all up (there’s been a number of requests around them) and we’ll make sure we consider Mac as well. As always, to help us prioritize, keep the votes coming! We’ll be factoring those…

9. Cursor not properly positioned when editing directly inside cell

I found out that if you have longer texts (>20 chars) inside an Excel Cell and you try to edit them the more you get to the right of the text the more the cursor is drawn off to the left of the characters it is actually between. Cursor Position seems to be calculated wrong. I am using Standard Calibri Font. This problem occurs on all Excel Zoom-States except for 200%. Using a non Retina Mac with latest Yosemite.

95 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

84 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all – this update is very long overdue, but I wanted to let you know that this issue has been fixed. The update was release in July 2016. You should now see that if you click into a long formula or text value in a cell or formula bar, the cursor shows up where you clicked.

Thanks for supporting Excel and please keep sending your feedback and suggestions. I know it took too long to update this issue, but we are listening. If there are other issues you discussed in the comments here, you may want to move those comments to an open issue that is more relevant to what you’re seeing.

Thanks,
    Steve K [MS Excel]

10. Enable coauthoring (co-auth) between multiple users (don't lock files)

(2016-03-01 Title updated for clarity by Dan [MS])

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Collaboration and Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add the Find and Select button onto the Ribbon

The Find and Select option is not available on the Ribbon make options like Replace difficult to find.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is now available in the 16.24 update, which you can get if you opt into the Insiders Program, by going to Help > Check for Updates (not available if you installed from the Mac App Store). If you don’t want to opt into the Insiders program, this will be released in mid-April 2019.

12. 'Select all' in the address bar

Command+A in the address bar or triple clicking on a cell doesn't select all the text in a cell any more! Can you please put that back? I have a lot of semi-repetitive labels that each need slight editing and the new update has made it hard! Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Quick access toolbar

The quick access toolbar is only really useful when it is bespoke. We need the ability to add or remove icons in this toolbar.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Feb 26 – Even more good news – we’ve completed work on this feature and you can now add/remove commands from the QAT as of Mac Excel 15.19.1. Do note that the set of commands you can add/remove is still limited, but we’re working on enabling full customization, like in Windows Excel.

(older) Great news folks – we’ve started work on this feature.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

14. No more warnings about saving as CSV, especially when I didn't change anything

I don't know how many hundreds (thousands?) of times I've told Excel that, yes, I really truly do mean to save this file as a CSV. I recognize that not all users will understand that CSV doesn't do cool formulas or formatting, etc., but I do and I still want to do it. And I want to do it a lot. Please, give me a way to opt out of these useless warnings!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2016-09-07

We’re done – you should no longer get a warning dialog about data loss when saving a file as CSV, as long as the file was originally opened as a CSV file.

Instead, we’ve added a non-intrusive business bar (that you can ignore if you choose) that let’s you quickly Save As the file if you have made changes that are not savable in CSV; if you ignore it and just Save, we’ll just save out the CSV values as you’d expect.

We actually rolled this out starting on August 22, 2016 with build 15.25 for O365 users. Later builds have this update as well of course.

Thanks for participating in UserVoice – we definitely value your input. You can now use whatever votes you’d allocated for this idea for other ideas.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

15. Navigation of Tabs - Use Ctrl+Tab to tab between Sheets

Is it possible to use a simple key combination to switch tabs? Like <CMD><TAB> to switch between windows... Maybe make it an option to change the <CTRL><TAB> function which switches through worksheets. When I'm in a single worksheet I often want to <TAB> through the tabs!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 'Select Objects'

How about giving the option 'select objects' for users to highlight which objects they want to delete? My only option on iMac is to press F5, special, then select objects which deletes all objects. Please address this issue as quickly as possible.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is now available in the 16.24 update, which you can get if you opt into the Insiders Program, by going to Help > Check for Updates (not available if you installed from the Mac App Store). If you don’t want to opt into the Insiders program, this will be released in mid-April 2019.

To select objects, you can click the Find & Select button on the Home tab of the ribbon, and choose the Selection Pane… or Select Objects.

17. Pls add draw or ink option on Excel for Mac

I would like to use the draw or ink tool on Excel for Mac.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fix cell selection misalignment (likely out of memory) issues on High Sierra

I have High Sierra and Excel version 16.14.1. The issue I describe below has been there in Sierra, and prior versions of Excel - at least last 6 months.

Basically, sometimes after just a few new entries, sometimes after multiple entries, I'm unable to select and enter data/edit the cell I want. The cursor lands on another cell, typically one or two above.

The only way to recover is to quit Excel, not just close and reopen file. That's why I think it's a memory leak...

The file is less then 200 rows with 15 columns. Most cells have a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. Several issues have been fixed with regard to cell selection. Some have already been released and one fix will be available in the Oct. 2019 monthly release of Excel for Mac. Once you have version 16.30 or greater, you should no longer have an issue if you are using repeated rows at the top of your sheet and using Page Layout View. If you want to get the fix sooner, you can opt into the Insiders program and choose the Fast updates. To do so, just go to Help > Check for Updates. Then check the box to join the Office Insider Program and choose Office Insider Fast. Then press Check for Updates and install version 16.30×.

19. ExportAsFixedFormat xlTypePDF

the function ExportAsFixedFormat xlTypePDF does not print images, charts or graphs.

For example

Sub PrintReport()
    Dim sPath As String
    sPath = "/path/to/myreport.pdf"
    Sheet1.ExportAsFixedFormat xlTypePDF, sPath
    End Sub

will produce a PDF file, but if the print range contains images ,graphs, etc. they will be omitted.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Relative hyperlinks broken for Office 365 Excel

The newest two updates to Office 365 (16.9 & 16.10) broke the way that relative hyperlinks work in Excel for Mac.

As an example, if you have documents located in a folder called "Documents" and try to create a relative path hyperlink "Documents/*some document*", Excel can no longer follow the hyperlink path, and returns "Cannot open the specified file"

This does not happen on older versions of Excel for Mac, or on Excel for PC. This has created a huge problem in my office, where we have hundreds of Excel documents with thousands of PDF links connected this way.

Please…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base