Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support multi-row worksheet tabs, or vertical tabs (some way to see more sheet tabs at a time)

The workbooks I work with often have 10+ tabs. This makes it very hard to navigate as you don't get a good overview.

Why not introduce a feature in which the tab list can be viewed in a vertical mode, either to the right or the left side of the actual spreadsheet? This would make navigation much easier.

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] - recategorized and clarified idea title)

56 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and the votes about ways to make it easier to work with sheet tabs. We will continue to monitor the suggestion and prioritize it accordingly.

Currently, you can CTRL+Click or right-click on the sheet navigation buttons to the left of the sheet tabs to see the complete list of sheets, which can help you quickly find and navigate to a desired sheet.

Steve K [MS Excel]

• Provide way to avoid automagical field value reformatting when opening CSV files

Theis is related to the leading zeroes one, but it is at least as bothersome that it tries to format as an excel data anything that looks like a date -- including values that are not dates. And the date formatting means you can't use Excel to open a CSV with dates, edit it, and re-save it without completely changing the way dates are formatted.

54 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all the votes and comments for this suggestion. We are considering improvements to how Excel deals with reformatting (or not) as data is imported and entered from CSV and other sources. Your comments are very helpful.

Steve K [MS Excel]

• A better Name manager

Dear all,
        What I love, please read this a need, is a better Name manager.
        The size of the list is way to small. If you work a lot with names, then you get longer names which are not easy to select.
        Also would like to see an easier way to replace, rename and exchange Names and references. When I make a Template sheet with names/reverences and want to make multiply copies bij code or manualy, its a crime to change or update the Name.

97 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • ALT key ribbon access

The ability to utilize the ALT keys to access any button or command on the ribbon greatly improves productivity on the PC versions of excel. Implementing this feature on the Mac version of excel would be greatly appreciated.

206 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Keep graph format the same when scrolling to other data

When I scroll down to a next set of data to produce line graphs for several items, the format of lines and markers changes, which I do not want (the idea is to produce multiple graphs with identical formats). I can overcome this by copying the graph- paste special-format (onto this graph) before I start scrolling, but I have to do this again each time I re-open the excel file. Very annoying.

19 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Add Find all in the Mac app

IN the windows version you can click on the button find all when you are in a search box. This then shows you all cells which contain your search criteria in a list. Please add this feature to the Mac app, too!

164 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Have Excel - and other Office programs - follow current OS X standards for menus and title bars

In your info page for Office, you say:

"Unmistakably Office, designed for Mac … combining the familiarity of Office and the unique Mac features you love."

But Office 2016 seems just like Office 2011 by not updating some menu and title bar features to reflect current OS X standards. It took me a while to get used to these, but now that I have it's frustrating to expect them and find them missing. Two big ones:

- Save/Duplicate/Save As… Shift-Cmd-S is now supposed to be "Duplicate" by default in OS X, not Save As. Instead, the Option key is used…

25 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion, comments and votes for following OS X standards for menus and title bars. Some aspects mentioned here have been addressed, such as switching windows within Excel by pressing CMD+` (key that has ~ on it). We will continue to monitor votes and comments to prioritize accordingly with other suggestions here.

Steve K [MS Excel]

• Horizontal scroll is not working.

When I import a text file and want to select all of the columns as text the horizontal scroll feature does not work and I can only change what ever I can see in the window to text. I use the feature on a weekly basis. This makes excel 2016 unusable for me on a Mc.

38 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

By setting your scroll bars to be always shown in your MacOS general settings, you are able to scroll horizontally in the text import wizard.

We will prioritize this issue accordingly with other issues based on the votes and interest that we see here.

Steve K [MS Excel]

2 Next →
                  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base