Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Named Ranges Can't be Data Sources?

I can't believe the mac version has this massive bug. You can only use hard-coded, specific ranges for a data source. The Windows version of Excel has no problem letting you use a named range for a Data Source. I noticed this affects pivot tables, charts and graphs. No named ranges allowed for data sources. Ridiculous.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Data Validation List able to work with Array Constants

Please make the Data Validation List feature work with array constants.
    Like to be able to define a named Array Constant and use that in a Validation List. After all they are both lists and the Data Validation list works with a classic Named Array.

Requirement scenario is to share a workbook across organisations and ensure consistent data entry or option selection without VBA, as VBA is often stripped/blocked at organisational boundaries. This would be a very simple and straightforward solution improving user experience and organisational efficiency.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add CTRL+J for Find function to Mac version

Add CTRL+J for Find function to Mac version

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Temporary stored files during saving Excel file cannot be deleted on NAS - .xlsx.sb

since the update to Mojave, Excel documents store repeatedly (not all files) temporary folders which are not deleted on NAS when one opens them with Microsoft Office 2016. This behavior seems related to the content within the Excel files. It looks like that as long as no diagram is saved in the Excel document the associated temporary file will be deleted as intended.

But if diagrams ore a more complex document structure is being created in the documents, then apparently not only temporary documents but folders are created during saving. After closing the document, you can no longer delete the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Return Features That Were Removed

Simply return the Data Form... feature.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 'Contains' should be by default option selected in Filter instead of 'Choose One'

Contains could be the most commonly used option and system should allow to use this without using trackpad through shortcuts only. Cmd+Shift+F can put the filter. Then Option+DownArrow opens up filter but then there is not way to proceed with shortcut. User must have to use track pad to select the option (where I am suggesting it could be 'Contains' as default)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow images to be inserted/embedded into comments and notes.

Please allow this desperately requested feature, as most Microsoft Excel users need to annotate their spreadsheets with images.

For example, I have a spreadsheet comparing possible travel routes for a trip I am planning. I would like to insert a screenshot of a receipt into a comment/note so I can easily "hide" it or view/"show" it, as needed.

The value of having images within comments/notes is that they will remain linked to the associated box. This would be extremely helpful for spreadsheets containing multiple images.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Filtering directly from the chart

Be able to filter information in the chart, similar to what exist on windows.
    Example attached(image)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. sheet tabs

Allow user to specify location of sheet tabs (top, bottom, left, right)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Refresh a power query

Allow Mac users to refresh a Power Query that gets files from a folder (and was created with windows).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. A real worksheet template

I create a lot of workbooks with a repetitive worksheet. For example, a workbook would contain multiple sheets representing a particular day for a project, with the workbook representing the project.

Each of these worksheets have exactly the same formulas and layout, so I create a 'template' worksheet in the workbook, which is then copied to create each of the worksheets.

If I want to change the template, I have to go through each of the copies to manually alter the formulas.

What would be cool is:

1. Create a worksheet as a template

2. Reference that template in copies (Copy from…
    3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow Keyboard Shortcuts in VBE

The visual basic for applications editor for the Mac does not have the ability to edit keyboard shortcuts. The most common editing shortcut used is to step through code while debugging. In windows VBE this is F8, and those of us who are familiar with the windows version would like to have the same experience on the Mac. The current keyboard shortcut requires two hands and makes it very awkward to step through and debug your code.

According to Madoc Huang MSFT in the Microsoft community forum, I should post this here because this feature is not available on the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Data "Form" for excel users on Mac computers

I really miss having Data "Form" available for excel users on MAC computers. Is there any chance this can be reinstalled. I use it all the time with my spreadsheets.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. AutoFilter Spacebar Selector

Like in Windows, it would be much faster to use keyboard shortcuts for things like selecting items in the AutoFilter list (i.e. using the space bar). As of today, you cannot highlight and select different items in the filter list without the mouse. Also annoying, is the fact that selections are applied instantly, causing nonsense CPU work and worse yet the window shifts in view as calculations are running. Messy.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add icons to charting bling to make better charts like in Windows

It is nice in a column chart to see meaningful pictures instead of boring bars. Mac only allows you to import an image. Windows supplies a library of icons making it easier and more robust.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fix Conditional Formatting

When rows are inserted into a worksheet with conditional formatting, the cell (or range) references in the conditional formatting change. Fix the system so that the insertion of a row or column into an area covered by conditional formatting adopts the format (this part may already be the case) AND the formatting cell range reference in the Conditional Formatting dialog box does not get fragmented addresses; the range stays the same.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Bring VBA on Excel for Mac to parity with Excel for Windows

Bring VBA on Excel for Mac to parity with Excel for Windows.

Currently, there are too many missing VBA elements missing. It is a major problem for those of us with mixed environments. Many things that worked under Excel 2011 no longer work in 2016.

Why is the not being addressed?

96 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, fix your problem with MAC Excel's ability to open https hyperlinks!!!!

I swear if I read "cannot open the internet server or proxy server" ONE MORE TIME I WILL THROW THIS COMPUTER THROUGH THE WINDOW. The addresses have been verified by a third party certifier. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SOMETHING SO SIMPLE CONTINUES TO BE A PROBLEM!!!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add a feature that can let csv file imported in excel

There is no any ways to import csv file in excel for iPad Pro. Could you plz find out a solution to deal with this problem? Thank you!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base