Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Including a time-or datestamp on templates for reports

To insert a time or a date, we can either use the stamp function (e.g. ctrl+;) or use the formula (=TODAY). I would like to have the use of a timestamp inside a template, so that when we create a new sheet from that template, the fixed date appears, i.e. as a datestamp. I haven't found how to do this using help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Embed images in cells

Users should have the ability to embed and image into a cell, so that when you sort data alphabetically, the image moves with its respective column. If google sheets can do this, so can Excel. The "move and size with cells" as well as "move but don't size with cells" options do nothing to help when alphabetizing other data in the same row.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide a CHANGE CASE button in the Excel tool bar (upper, lower,regular ...) like the one in Word

Many of us use Excel not only to calculate but also to present tables and graphs. It would be VERY helpful if you could provide a CHANGE CASE button for the tool bar (and/or the Cell formatting menu). This feature existed for Mac in the pat (pre 2013) but has disappeared. It is VERY annoying. PLEASE PUT IT BACK!!!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fix ExportAsFixedFormat method

ExportAsFixedFormat method produces a "Run-time error '1004':

Application-defined or object-defined error" when trying to save (export) a pdf to a user folder (/Users/user/Documents for example)

As I see it only works if one saves to the sandbox path of Office (Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office), which is quite uncomfortable to work with.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Macros and Add-ins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Stop Office 365 Apps enumerating the recent file list when the file menu is clicked.

In Office 365 apps for Mac (eg Excel, Word) if the “File>Open Recent” list contains a file from located on a network volume (such as AFP or SMB) when the user clicks on the File menu the computer attempts to mount the network volume(s) where the file(s) resides.

This behaviour is unwanted as it can cause a lag when clicking on the File menu, it also can cause Office 365 Apps to hang when on slow data links or display numerous OS network credential request dialogue boxes.

Versions:
    Excel Mac 16.28 (19081202)
    Excel Mac 16.29 (19081305)

Suggested action:
    Stop this…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Opening and Saving Files  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Cell formats in Excel for Mac

When modifying the format of a cell in Excel for MAC, one should be able to either save a custom format (currently it disappears when you shut Excel) or edit a default style or add a style to the drop down list. I have a date format I like and have to re-create if every time I want to apply it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Multiple Series Histograms

Histograms that allow multiple series would be ideal (ie. in stacked form as well as side-by-side comparison). The current solution (as far as I know) is to custom-make it with bar charts. A large part of the statistical analysis I do requires distinct series being compared.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix copy & paste bug when Handoff (Universal Clipboard) is enabled

When Handoff is enabled (which also enables Universal Clipboard) and you are signed in to iCloud on your Mac and a nearby iPhone or iPad, Excel will freeze when you try to copy any cell. The spinning beachball will appear for 3-4 seconds and you can't do anything while this is happening. The bug also affects Word. This happens even on a Clean Installed system so it is not a 3rd party conflict.

I've posted more details and a video of this happening on the Microsoft Community Forums:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/copy-cmdc-causes-spinning-beach-ball-delay-for-3-4/36e2e400-59c7-471b-b7d6-b5d5082a545a

I've tried to report this bug but it seems impossible to…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Application Errors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Excel for Mac | Spell Check for different languages

Make spell check for Excel 2016 work with different languages.

Spell checker works in other Office Apps (Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, etc.) but not Excel as it only detects English language in Mac OS Mojave.

Coordinated with Mac Support for possible compatibility issue but they directed the case back to Office 365.

*tried all troubleshooting steps from this link but still not working
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2016-macexcel/office-365-2016-mac-excel-spell-check-not-working/a04d5533-5ea5-4d7b-ba33-b044dd5a066e?page=3

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Filter in a different language than the Excel default's language.

Hi. I reported a problem as a question in:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/supportforbusiness/productselection?OSMCSignIn=true&wa=wsignin1.0

Basically, I have my Excel in English language and my cells are in English format as well (UK). My subscription is Norwegian. I have the dates in my spreadsheet and when I filter it, Excel shows the months in Norwegian. The date is displayed as 23/02/2019.
    But, when I change the cells formatting to 23/Dec/2019, the filter works properly, displaying the month names in English.

That's what I found.

Rgds,
    Sergio

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables, Sorting and Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Find & Select on Excel for Mac

In the Windows equivalent, there is a "Find & Select" drowp-down menu on the "Home" tab. One of the useful features of this menu is the "Select Objects" cursor which allows you to select multiple objects with the cursor rather than with the mouse one by one (which does get annoying of you have many screenshots attached to the sheet.

It would be incredibly useful to have his feature added to the Mac version of Excel!!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Get external data from the web

How to make it easier to get external data from the web for mac users. I can't do it for some reason. I have saved plain text query in word and when I run the saved web query what gets upload is the hyperlink address.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Rounding issue with Excel and dollar values

Current Issue just discovered talking to MS Excel Support to see if there is a work around or if someone is solving this error.

Issue is that when you place values in a cell and do a =ROUND function to format a currency value it rounds down not up. i.e. Summing to Cells and trying to find tax for the two values return in correct value.
    =ROUND ($33.165, 2), returns 33.16 and not 33.17. This is a major show stopper for financial calculations and worksheets.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Can't save the XLSM file on Mac

I have an subscription on Excel in AppStore. Can't save several XLSM files.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Unable to create a Pivot table from multiple tables in Excel for Mac - seriously???

Create a pivot table from multiple tables (feature appears to be missing from Excel for Mac!)

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Pivot Table Power User

Bring Pivot Tables up to the same capabilities as the Windows version

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PivotTables and Power Pivot  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please fix this: Margins do not fit page size

Office 365 for Mac/Excel. I just want to create an invoice on 1 page, save it as a PDF and or at least print it to one page. For a time the workaround was working but now I can't do anything. May need to copy the data into Google sheets and use that. Why am I even paying for Office 365 if it can't perform a basic task like this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Mail merge bug in Excel/Word 365 for Mac: Word can't see Excel cells with formula results over 250 characters

When I use an Excel sheet/project as source of data for mail merge in Word, Word can't see the result values of formula cells, if the result is over 250 characters (text). The result in Word, doesn't show anything for that field and even blocks data for all of the next records (rows in excel). The only solution is saving the excel sheet as a .csv file and use that as the data source in Words mail merge. Cells in excel that don't have a formula and just text of more than 250 characters, works fine. So the bug is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Excel Map Chart

States are not appearing in excel map chart for India

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base