Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Find All to Excel for Mac

There is currently no 'Find All" function in excel for Mac. This pretty severely limits how easy it is to navigate large workbooks. I used this function quite a bit when I was on a PC and would love to see it added in.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Graphs keep disappearing when I scroll past and scroll back into their area of the sheet and have to wait for them to load again

Graphs keep disappearing when I scroll past and scroll back into their area of the sheet and have to wait for them to load again

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Graphs keep disappearing when I scroll past and scroll back into their area of the sheet and have to wait for them to load again

Graphs keep disappearing when I scroll past them and they go offscreen and scroll back into their area of the sheet and they're gone and I have to wait a few seconds for them to load again

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Complaint concerning a disappearance of work!

I spent 3 hours on a document with four different sheets less than a week ago, I saved it, but today it is nowhere to be found. WHAT THE ****!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. small descriptive text windows for command or control tips

Is there a way to activate a feature for small windows that display descriptive text when we rest the pointer on a command or control? this will be more efficient for Mac users as newbies to Excel

this feature is apparently available in Windows, but not Mac?

it will be more efficient, please advise

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. disable horizontal scrolling

Please allow users to disable horizontal scrolling (when trying to scroll vertically). When using two-finger scroll on a trackpad (like on a MacBook) it's impossible to pull straight down. There used to be a feature to disable this in Excel for Mac, but it has gone away.

The reason for this is that normally we only need to scroll vertically and am finding the when I use the trackpad I often scroll horizontally as well without intending to.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. lastest version comments are irritating, they pop up as I roll over as opposed to when I click on the cell with the comment

Lastest version comments are irritating, they pop up as I roll over the cell. Sometimes I cannot see the cell I am looking for because there are so many comments popping up. Previous version I had to be on the cell to see the comment which is much less confusing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. In 16.20, dark mode is nice, but I would like to use colorful menus from 16.17 as an option.

Thank you for bringing dark mode to Office with version 16.20. I actually enjoyed the colorful menu/title bars from 16.17. They allowed me to quickly identify overlapping open windows by their color. Can we please have Office follow the system dark mode as an option?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. More efficient process for changing data for graphs

Here’s an idea… When changing the coordinates for a graph using “Select Data” after right clicking in the graph, it is great that the view switches to the actual data so that ranges can be easily selected. However, it would be even better if the view returns to the graph on leaving the “Select Data” dialog box. Often I have very large databases with the data I want to graph, often 40 or more for a single report. SO MUCH time is spent going back and forth between graphs and data, which are usually on different sheets, if not in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. "Night" version

Make a setting that turns cells a dark/black color and the lines white. Twitter has a setting like this, where your timeline turns dark blue and the words turn white.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Since the cells are formatted for what they will look like when printed, the default is to have white background with black text. You can make your own worksheets “Night” theme by selecting the entire sheet and then setting the background of the cells to a dark color, the font to a light color, and the cell borders to a light color. You could also apply a small dark image as the background image, which will be tiled across the entire sheet.

It would be great to hear how you think Excel should handle a Night mode for the sheet automatically. For example, if the sheet has content that is in a wide range of colors, should they automatically be adjusted to be easily visible with a dark background, even if that’s not how the author wants them to show up in the light mode?

11. Comments are not displayed in cells ISSUE

When the mouse pointer is over a cell with comments, these must be displayed while the pointer is over the cell. In the latest version of Excel for iMAC this is not the case.
    I had to contact Technical Support and they could not solve it (ticket 1443809072), what they did was uninstall my latest version of Excel and install an earlier version.
    How can I know that they have solved this problem?

Thank you

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Row and column targeting highlighter

Row and column targeting highlighter. I would love a feature that when I point or click on a cell, the entire row and column is highlighted with a
    color that I can choose from a pallet. This feature would confirm when entering values into a specific cell, that you can ensure you are working on the right row or column because often sheets are very large and making sure you enter a value into the right cell can be a problem especially after hours of staring at a spreadsheet with many values. This feature can of course be turned on…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow users to configure the active cell. It's so hard to find the active cell e.g., performing control+f and finding the cell referred to.

Allow users to configure the active cell. It's so hard to find the active cell e.g., performing control+f and then finding the cell referred to. Allow us to highlight the active ell, or change the outline color / weight of the line. The green color provided does not "pop" at all.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Dragging tabs in a workbook

Unable to drag tabs in a workbook beyond the edge of the page. In the past, you could drag the tab to the end of the page and it would scroll until you released it. Very helpful when alphabetizing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Put Scroll Bars back

Put scroll bars (horizontal and vertical) back. Or at least put the slider back - the scroll bars are actually there but without any slider are totally unusable (took me a long time to even notice that the white bar was actually a scroll bar without any slider!

It's a nightmare trying to work without scroll bars and this feature needs to be put back really urgently.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Pinned excel files

Excel on MAC automatically un-pins a file from the pinned recent files view. Can you pls fix this to leave the file pinned until the user unpins it.

Thanks,
    Jeff

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Remove "Add Header" or "Add Footer" from Page View

Remove the grayed "Add Header" and "Add Footer" from being visible in Page View (example below). It wasn't visible in Excel 2011 but is visible by default on 2016. Or, maybe it's only visible when grids are visible? I create many forms with Excel and often leave the view for users to tab through the form in page view and magnified at a view that is best. Now all our customers submitting these forms have a big "Add Header" at the top of our nicely designed forms. Example attached.

This was my initial post in the community forum:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac-mso_mac2016/remove-add-header-or-add-footer-from-page-view/b7529e13-2994-43e2-8bf9-979e4ac4080a

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Excel for Mac v15.23 scrolling still broken

Just updated to v15.23 for Excel on Mac today hoping to see scrolling fixes, but nothing seems to have changed. When scrolling up in Page Layout view, the entire page above blanks out for several seconds before filling in the data on the page. Other Mac apps handle scrolling just fine and seamlessly show pages in real time as they are scrolled up/down. Excel on Mac still seems to not understand scrolling and showing data scrolling at same time!

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

59 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone – we continue to work on performance improvements in this area and other areas of Excel. It’s a gradual process, so there have been some improvements already, and we will have more to come.

Steve K [MS Excel]

20. Frozen Panes scrolling issues

There's a post titled "Freeze Panes broken in 15.19.1" that is marked as "completed,", but those issues are still occurring. I'm on a Mac (Yosemite 10.10.5) and my Excel version is 15.34.

Link to post referenced above: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/12428436-freeze-panes-broken-in-15-19-1

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base