Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Mac?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. disable horizontal scrolling

Please allow users to disable horizontal scrolling (when trying to scroll vertically). When using two-finger scroll on a trackpad (like on a MacBook) it's impossible to pull straight down. There used to be a feature to disable this in Excel for Mac, but it has gone away.

The reason for this is that normally we only need to scroll vertically and am finding the when I use the trackpad I often scroll horizontally as well without intending to.

3 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • In 16.20, dark mode is nice, but I would like to use colorful menus from 16.17 as an option.

Thank you for bringing dark mode to Office with version 16.20. I actually enjoyed the colorful menu/title bars from 16.17. They allowed me to quickly identify overlapping open windows by their color. Can we please have Office follow the system dark mode as an option?

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • More efficient process for changing data for graphs

Here’s an idea… When changing the coordinates for a graph using “Select Data” after right clicking in the graph, it is great that the view switches to the actual data so that ranges can be easily selected. However, it would be even better if the view returns to the graph on leaving the “Select Data” dialog box. Often I have very large databases with the data I want to graph, often 40 or more for a single report. SO MUCH time is spent going back and forth between graphs and data, which are usually on different sheets, if not in…

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Row and column targeting highlighter

Row and column targeting highlighter. I would love a feature that when I point or click on a cell, the entire row and column is highlighted with a
          color that I can choose from a pallet. This feature would confirm when entering values into a specific cell, that you can ensure you are working on the right row or column because often sheets are very large and making sure you enter a value into the right cell can be a problem especially after hours of staring at a spreadsheet with many values. This feature can of course be turned on…

4 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• "Night" version

Make a setting that turns cells a dark/black color and the lines white. Twitter has a setting like this, where your timeline turns dark blue and the words turn white.

6 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Since the cells are formatted for what they will look like when printed, the default is to have white background with black text. You can make your own worksheets “Night” theme by selecting the entire sheet and then setting the background of the cells to a dark color, the font to a light color, and the cell borders to a light color. You could also apply a small dark image as the background image, which will be tiled across the entire sheet.

It would be great to hear how you think Excel should handle a Night mode for the sheet automatically. For example, if the sheet has content that is in a wide range of colors, should they automatically be adjusted to be easily visible with a dark background, even if that’s not how the author wants them to show up in the light mode?

• Allow users to configure the active cell. It's so hard to find the active cell e.g., performing control+f and finding the cell referred to.

Allow users to configure the active cell. It's so hard to find the active cell e.g., performing control+f and then finding the cell referred to. Allow us to highlight the active ell, or change the outline color / weight of the line. The green color provided does not "pop" at all.

5 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Pinned excel files

Excel on MAC automatically un-pins a file from the pinned recent files view. Can you pls fix this to leave the file pinned until the user unpins it.

Thanks,
                Jeff

3 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Excel for Mac v15.23 scrolling still broken

Just updated to v15.23 for Excel on Mac today hoping to see scrolling fixes, but nothing seems to have changed. When scrolling up in Page Layout view, the entire page above blanks out for several seconds before filling in the data on the page. Other Mac apps handle scrolling just fine and seamlessly show pages in real time as they are scrolled up/down. Excel on Mac still seems to not understand scrolling and showing data scrolling at same time!

13 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • 71 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone – we continue to work on performance improvements in this area and other areas of Excel. It’s a gradual process, so there have been some improvements already, and we will have more to come.

Steve K [MS Excel]

• Allow Ribbon AUTOHIDING in Mac Excel

The idea is simple.

IF AUTOHIDE RIBBON is turned on,

THEN the Ribbon collapses into the TITLES OF THE RIBBON TABS automatically as your mouse moves off it. The Ribbon re-expands when your mouse hovers over the Title Tabs that the Ribbon collapsed into.

The whole key to this is to have NO DELAY between when you hover on it and the Ribbon Autoexpands, and NO DELAY when you hover off it and the Ribbon Autocollapses.

Please Don't even put in a 0.1ms delay for aesthetics. Default to 0.00ms delay, so that it SNAPS OPEN AND CLOSED. If you want…

33 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Validation drop down with freeze panes issue

There is a little glitch when using a table column with validation from a drop down list combined with a freeze pane (see attached for an example). This is in Office 2016 for Mac OS.

The drop down arrow is not visible if the table is scrolled off to the right. Here is what I see....

1. Create a table with multiple columns
                        2. Add validation to the first column to choose from a list, in a drop down
                        3. Freeze panes at the first row of the second column, so that the table headings and the first column are…

6 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Excel needs to better highlight the row and column identifiers.

Excel 2016 needs to better highlight row and column identifiers. The current highlighting is in very, very light grey with green underline for the row and column numbers. It lacks any real contrast, which goes directly to function and utility of Excel. In the end, it significantly limits the Excel's usability and makes me consider competing products.

In contrast, Excel 2007 highlights the row and column identifier in yellow-orange. That is much better and something I'd like MSFT to emulate. At the very least, please provide an Excel 2007 Office Theme.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_mac/excel-office-2016-for-mac-highlighting-row-and/0efa8f65-f148-4c00-beb7-67515a5d2a92

6 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Font/Zoom size difference between Mac and PC

Different Font/Cell sizes between PC and Mac are driving me crazy.
                            In order to view Excel sheets created on a PC in an appropriate size I always have to set the zoom value to 130% on my Mac. When I send these sheets back the PC guys they are annoyed because they have to change the zoom back to 100%
                            I know this is an oooold "problem" between Mac and PC and the 72 dpi / 96 dpi difference but please there is no reason to finally get this sorted out.

12 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Option to change the highlight of the active cell

Please give an option to change the colour of the highlight of the active cell. This green is not visible enough.

25 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Add Find all in the Mac app

IN the windows version you can click on the button find all when you are in a search box. This then shows you all cells which contain your search criteria in a list. Please add this feature to the Mac app, too!

175 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Support multi-row worksheet tabs, or vertical tabs (some way to see more sheet tabs at a time)

The workbooks I work with often have 10+ tabs. This makes it very hard to navigate as you don't get a good overview.

Why not introduce a feature in which the tab list can be viewed in a vertical mode, either to the right or the left side of the actual spreadsheet? This would make navigation much easier.

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] - recategorized and clarified idea title)

59 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and the votes about ways to make it easier to work with sheet tabs. We will continue to monitor the suggestion and prioritize it accordingly.

Currently, you can CTRL+Click or right-click on the sheet navigation buttons to the left of the sheet tabs to see the complete list of sheets, which can help you quickly find and navigate to a desired sheet.

Steve K [MS Excel]

• Horizontal scroll is not working.

When I import a text file and want to select all of the columns as text the horizontal scroll feature does not work and I can only change what ever I can see in the window to text. I use the feature on a weekly basis. This makes excel 2016 unusable for me on a Mc.

46 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

By setting your scroll bars to be always shown in your MacOS general settings, you are able to scroll horizontally in the text import wizard.

We will prioritize this issue accordingly with other issues based on the votes and interest that we see here.

Steve K [MS Excel]

• open last saved location

After upgrading to 10.11.x I have noticed when opening another excel spreadsheet, the last location is my Documents and not the last place I opened. Example.. I open a spreadsheet located on my Desktop and want to open another in the same location, I have to navigate through 4 folders before I reach my desired location. Why, does excel not remember my last local?

4 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Comments are not displayed in cells ISSUE

When the mouse pointer is over a cell with comments, these must be displayed while the pointer is over the cell. In the latest version of Excel for iMAC this is not the case.
                                        I had to contact Technical Support and they could not solve it (ticket 1443809072), what they did was uninstall my latest version of Excel and install an earlier version.
                                        How can I know that they have solved this problem?

Thank you

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Highlight to INCREASE

I am using Version 15.32 .xls for Mac. The Finder, when we search for a specific word or number, impossible to see it ! The highlight is not bright or evident enough. Should be VERY COLORFUL to see it... in a big table, when I click search for a word...it just jump...but impossible to see where it is.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base