Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Lose all the circa 1980s modal dialogue box stuff

Interesting you don't have a Category for "Usability"!

If i want to change background colours for a group of cells I have to click 3 times all at different places on the screen to bring up the macOS colour picker, the only place I can store my own custom colours, just to do it. Where as in Numbers I can just click the floating colour palate if I have the Cells sidebar up (I prefered Numbers and all the iWork apps when almost everything was floating palettes than side bars which although not modal means more clicking)

This is just…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Consistency in the More Commands options

I have recently been looking for 3 things that I always add to my toolbar: Paste Values, Paste Formatting and Light Shading. Windows has all of these, Mac not so - and even the ones in Mac don't appear until you select the option for "items not on the toolbar". Surely the options should now be consistent between platforms, and why Paste Formatting isn't there escapes me completely. I use these all the time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Read embedded PDFs

Unlike Excel for Windows, Excel for Mac can’t read embedded PDFs. When trying to open them, it says “Cannot start the source application for this object. There may not be enough memory available”, which is totally misleading, because the problem is that Excel for Mac doesn’t have this functionality. Please, give us a solution!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. It is SO annoying that Excel always presents a blank page, without any prompting, nor is there a way to turn it off.

Allow users (in Preferences) to disable the automatic pop-up of a blank page. We can accomplish this with one stroke, and the pervasive "gnats" of blank pages are annoying.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make Office Mac simpler.

I have used various incarnations of Office for years and now have Office 2011 on my Mac running El Capitan. While some of the additions, particularly those in the ribbons, may be useful to some people I'm sure that many could do without most of them. Ability to edit the menus and ribbons would be most useful.

Some previous functions seem to have been removed completely, including some of the add-ins (Excel) and toolbars such as Drawing (Word). If they are still there I haven't been able to find them.

I would dearly love to be able to go back…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Dual Monitor Filtering and Scaling

Using dual monitors the filter option doesn't work properly. When I use my workbook on the secondary screen and try to filter columns filter window displays for a split second on main screen and then disappears. I can't actually filter anything unless I use excel on my main screen which is annoying as I use the secondary (bigger) screen to view large excel files which is difficult on small screen.

Another issue I have is that if I try to move the excel workbook from larger to smaller screen it doesn't scale down like other applications. It stays the same…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Double clicking a cell with a formula to view the cells in use

When I double click a cell with a formula in it in order to view which cells i've use in the formula, there is major lag in the highlighting of these cells if you must scroll horizontally to view them. I scroll several columns out of view to see the cells in use and I have to wait for SECONDS before the highlights appear. If you scroll around at all after the highlights appear, they disappear. This is extremely frustrating and wasn't a problem in the old version. This was instantaneous. Please let me know if this is a setting…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Excel 15.16 crashes each time I want to save

I updated to 15.16 this morning, and now I can't work any more; Excel 15.16 crashes each time I want to save. Me too, I'm back to excel 2011, so frustrating.......

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Oh how I miss the F4 repeat function from Windows Excel!!!

Oh how I miss the F4 repeat function from Windows Excel!!! Ctrl Y works sometimes, then it doesn't - drives me nuts.....

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Moving from one cell to the other to copy/paste takes WAY TOO LONG.

Improvement suggestion: get rid of whatever is causing the slowdown/bloat! Here's a screencast of me doing a normal routine: https://youtu.be/PHl88O2ym-c

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Restore the ability to automatically save a backup copy of a file when saving a file iN Excel 2016

In previous versions of Excel, the user had the capability under Save As to create a backup copy of a file that would be automatically backed up whenever a file was saved. It currently is functional in the last two versions of Word. Please restore this feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SUMMING - a real problem

To TOTAL a group of cells ... usually I would use "command+shift+T"

However, if there is not a number in a cell "above, below, right, left" of the cell I am trying to SUMM into ... it gives an error message that says there is a problem with the formula.

Often I want to SUMM something into a cell that is far away from the numbers I am summing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Changing the decimal points for a full column

The increase / decrease decimal point buttons in the ribbon do nothing to change the number of decimal points for the entire column (when the column is selected)

THIS IS A MUST TO FIX

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Well, I upgraded from Office 2011 to Office 2016 expecting improvement. It takes 10 times longer to start up!!! THIS IS PROGRESS?

Well, I upgraded from Office 2011 to Office 2016 expecting improvement. It takes 10 times longer to start up!!! THIS IS PROGRESS?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Typing Becomes slow when Freeze some area or Add comments for a cell.

The typing becomes slow when Freeze a row or Add comments for a cell, especially in larger file. (Excel for mac, version 15.40)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Even basic things don't work

I have so many issues that I don't know where to start? Excel for mac keeps freezing every few minutes. I don't even have such a complex or a large spreadsheet.

1. The edit option in VBA editor keeps freezing. It wasn't even available till a few days ago.

2. When I try to save a linked filed, it takes forever and some times just crashes.

3. Many options available on Windows Excel is not even available on Mac. For instance, find/replace has many options in Windows but not so in Mac.

4. Macro/VBA editors and other related functions are not available or do…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Fix the problem where the entire program runs so slowly it's unusable.

This program is excruciatingly slow. Every small function such as copy and paste takes minutes. I don't see how Microsoft Excel has any market share given how painfully slow it is. I've been an Excel user for years, but I'm strongly considering changing. Worst program ever.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Fix ridiculous editing bugs in Excel 2016

Excel 2016 Mac is a mess.

Besides the ugly cartoon-like interface of all of Office 2016 (which obviously nothing can be done about now), it has some serious bugs. (Oh, and thanks for messing up so many of the keyboard shortcuts I learned for 2011).

Select all: Command-A doesn't work if there is an embedded picture/image in the worksheet. Instead, it invokes some kind of 'picture format' toolbar (or ruler - whatever...) item.

Edit in cell: completely unreliable to try and select contents of cell for editing (either in whole or in part. Sometimes in works, sometimes it doesn't. I've…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Slow Excel input on Mac, Thoughts

I have had the problem and see many other also experience super slow input in Excel on certain worksheets. I have been "unfreezing" newly opened Excel spreadsheets and since then have had no issues with waiting forever for the input to populate the cell. Since then I have saved spreadsheets at work, and made sure the cells were not "froze" and saved to the Cloud. I come home to and open it on my Mac and BANG - the cells open frozen and = super slow performance. Why does it do that? Open sheets with cell's unfrozen please.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base