Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make all functions and tools available for both Mac and Windows OPS.

Why can't all the same tools be accessed on different operating systems? I don't get it I am in college and this is a constant problem. Not everyone using this program has Windows as their operating system. Why even offer it to download on other operating systems if all the tools won't be accessible. Today, I was trying to use the forecast sheet function and that is not available on my Mac, yet all the other forecast functions to make formulas are there. It just doesn't make sense.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, fix your problem with MAC Excel's ability to open https hyperlinks!!!!

I swear if I read "cannot open the internet server or proxy server" ONE MORE TIME I WILL THROW THIS COMPUTER THROUGH THE WINDOW. The addresses have been verified by a third party certifier. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SOMETHING SO SIMPLE CONTINUES TO BE A PROBLEM!!!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Windows resize is too slow!

Resizing an Excel window, even if its totally and empty is extremely slow. The mouse cursor is way ahead of the resize. In fact all Office applications have this annoying problem. Others applications resize quite fast. Why Office can't?.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. New updates

I see an April 4th update states "The product icons have been redesigned to reflect simple, powerful, and intelligent Office experiences". Sorry, no pass. My idea is that you start to implement all the many ideas and fix the multitude of glitches. Then perhaps we can have a better Office experience.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. update Excel for macOS Mojave

A message about the need for updating Excel (and Word) to Mojave pops up every time the app are opened.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Improve Excel for Mac performance

Please improve Excel performance. I have Microsoft for Windows opened in a virtual machine alongside Excel for Mac. And despite limited resources Excel for Windows performs MUCH better.
    For example when I put any value in a cell and hit enter and do it multiple times in a row then I experience a noticeable lag. There's no lag when I use the Windows version for the same file.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Be more forthcoming about the lack of parity with the Windows product in your online advertising

When I visited the Microsoft website trying to decide whether to update from an 11 year old application suite (Office 2008 for Mac), learn to use Apple's own suite of applications for the Mac (Numbers and Pages—I'm already competent in Keynote and have abandoned PowerPoint), I read things that intimate that Mac users are "getting some things first"; e.g., in Office 2019. It's not clear what we're getting other than a new moniker.
    It's certainly clear in my first day or two of my 30 day trial that much has changed, but when I try to delve a bit deeper…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Paste values with "command+shift+v" to paste only values and not the formulas

Paste values with "command+shift+v" to paste only values and not the formulas.

Now "command+shift+v" doesn't do anything.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. In this feedback forum, give us a clue a about progress by showing posting dates for threads

Lots of posts, but when a new user signs up and reads previous posts, they're not dated. Many of them ask for specific fixes or optimizations or places where parity with the Windows product is needed, and many of those threads contain "we're working on it," but the thread posts aren't dated.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Excessive use of memory even for simple operations

I have tried to isolate the issue, but I couldn't find one exact scenario that I can link to this problem: Excel starts using memory at galloping speed when doing simple operations such as remove or insert a row.

I am using a 2017 MacBook Pro 13, Macos High Sierra and I have the latest Office 2016 updates. I did a fresh install.

I suspected the conditional formatting is an issue (which it is another problem because you cannot format fonts on Mac). I removed all formatting, yet I have the same problem. It seems that Excel is using the…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow the manual vs. automatic recalculation option at the workbook level

Sometimes I work with huge workbooks and sometimes I don't. I would like recalc to happen automatically in small workbooks and manually when working on the larger ones. It's annoying to toggle between those options. I would prefer that the option was set at the workbook level, so when I open that huge workbook it is already set to "Manual".

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel 16.16 for Mac OSX High Sierra Crashing after opening

The update for Mac Excel v 16.16 issued 6/2818 is a disaster. All my Excel spreadsheets open then crash. I have no access to budgets or client worksheets. This is a major extremely serious issue that's affecting all accounting and other businesses. Microsoft has crashed all Mac OSX systems running this update. On the latest crash, I get a note to turn off sounds for Excel when you hit "save?" Who in the world is designing these updates, certainly not Mac oriented people. Please take the Microsoft brainwashed programmers of Mac Office. You are killing us. Fix this ASAP! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. ADDING Individual cells

Office 2016 has ONCE AGAIN changed a 1-step process into a 2-step process.

BEFORE: If I wanted to add 4 individual cells ... I would click "=" and then click on each individual cell I was adding ... and then hit "enter" to get the total.

NOW: I have to hit the EXTRA KEY "+" before each of the 4 cells I select.

This is just another BACKWARD FEATURE of 2016 that was not required in previous versions.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I received a notice Mac is going to update their software which will affect functionality of Excel, Word and other Microsoft Office programs

I recently received a notice when updating my Mac software that an upcoming OS update will cause functionality problems with Excel, Word and my other Microsoft Office programs. The notice indicated that it is currently 16 bit and will be upgrading to 32 bit and that my current Excel and other programs are 16 bit and therefore will have functionality problems. I rely on Excel and Word to record my medical issues for my doctor and have done so for years. It is vital that Excel and Word continue to function. What should I do? Can you help me?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Keystroke instead of Drop-Down Menu

Office 2016 FORCES us to now go to a Drop-Down Menu OFTEN ... when before the action could be done with a keystroke:

Examples:
    1) Command W ... to close a file ... now forces you to move your mouse cursor up to the blue word SAVE ... rather than simply hitting the letter "S" (which is right below the letter "W"). We should be able to hit the letter "D" for "DON'T SAVE" as well

2) BORDERS: I often use the "option+command +arrows" to provide borders. SOMETIMES IT WORKS ... Other times it does NOT WORK ... and I…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Fix, remove, or allow users to disable the multicore implementation

Recently the Excel team has introduced an unfortunate attempt at multi-core processing that has rendered the product unusable for some customers. Please either roll this back, fix it, or simply allow users to disable the functionality!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. It's happened for the second time that after a Mac Office update everything I had done during the past seven days had vanished.

It's happened for the second time that after a Mac Office update everything I had done during the past seven days had vanished. The Time machine data for this week very also gone. Should not have happened.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. How about making it work with without crashing!

Every time I finish, I get a crash message saying it closed unexpectedly. The product should be way mature beyond this nonsense.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base