Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support for OpenAPI

It would be nice to add support for the OpenAPI standard for Get & Transform. OData is nice but OpenAPI is also becoming pretty prevalent.

https://www.openapis.org/

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Relative paths to text connections

Option to have relative paths to connect to text files to import data.

We have an xlsx file with several connections to csv files with generic names.
    We want to be able to move (or share) this file to other directories, and the xlsx file to be able to read the csv files (with the same generic names) in the new directory.

I have posted this issue here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msomac/csv-files-paths-in-excel-2016-for-mac/215241e7-6599-4971-b598-b7e5bd2dc45d

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Repetitive Text Imports

The Import Wizard is fine for ad hoc, 1-off imports, but I now receive weekly TXT files with a consistent layout. There should be a way for me to "build a macro" or some "template" for the Import Wizard to use (so that I don't have to tell it each week where all the columns in these TXT files are). Set it up once, and then use that Template to import the TXT files in following weeks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Unable to insert pdf files as an objects

Enabling insert pdf file as an object. Currently only word can be added as an object...

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. [num, txt, raw] = XLSREAD(filename.xlsx); should return equally-sized variables

NUM is a numerical array containing the numeric values from the spreadsheet. Super useful! Because it's numeric, non-numeric values need to be dealt with somehow, so they're converted to NaN. Also great! I can work with that!

Here's the problem: any non-numeric values on the exterior of the spreadsheet (or, equivalently, of RAW) are omitted instead of being converted to NaN. THIS RUINS EVERYTHING. Indexing become messy, messy guesswork, because NUM is a different size than TXT and RAW. Please just have the function return NaNs, so that NUM can be the same size as TXT and RAW.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 3 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base