Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stock Quotes

Add formula to add stock quotes in realtime, like google sheets has the ability to do. I don't want to run a excel add-on to find these quotes. This would be very helpful.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Redshift ODBC Drivers compatible with Excel

ODBC compatibility with Redshift Driver
    Can you make the Redshift Driver compatible with Excel 2016 MAC OS X (El Capitan or higher) as the current setup is broken as it gives the following errors:
    IM003 [iODBC][Driver Manager]Specified driver could not be loaded

00000 [iODBC][Driver Manager]dlopen(/opt/amazon/redshift/lib/libamazonredshiftodbc.dylib, 6): no suitable image found. Did find: /opt/amazon/redshift/lib/libamazonredshiftodbc.dylib: open() failed with errno=1

However, when testing the ODBC connection to Redshift via odbctest command line was successful.

I understand that Redshift ODBC Drivers are not supported therefore, this needs to be supported.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Improve external data feature.

In Excel for Windows I can connect to an API url by going to the data tab then "From Web" at which point I type in the URL It downloads into my spreadsheet as a table, which is awsome because I can perform VLookups etc on it. We need better external data features like this for the Mac version.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. stock quotes

Pull Stock Quotes real time from MS Finance.

As Microsoft has data already for MS Finance, a simple formula like =GOOGFINANCE can make Excel amazing. Now I switch between Excel and Google Sheets.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Excel for Mac 2016 (v16.9) bug importing data into Excel sheet

In the most recent update of Excel for Mac 2016 (v16.9), when you import data into Excel you only get to view a small selection of columns in the data preview window (Preview of Selected Data). You cannot scroll the right to view/manipulate the rest of the columns, which is essential during the importing of the data. This behavior is unaffected by the System Preferences>General>Scrolling behavior selections.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Excel PowerQuery for local files/dropbox

Can't use the power Query tool on Mac to open and merge local files or files from Dropbox. Only available for SQL, 3rd party, and web

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Import CSV with multi-line text cells

Importing of CSV files which contain multi-line values (line breaks in the text cells) is not possible using the "File" - "Import" wizard. It is however possible if all options (field delimiter and text qualifier) match the system's defaults to import such files by double clicking the CSV. Please fix the Import wizard to allow multi-line text while customising the delimiters.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow exporting of Sharepoint lists

It would be great if you could export a Sharepoint list to Excel for Mac. At present you have to use Excel on a PC - as I believe this requires some kind of ActiveX component.

158 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and the votes. We will continue to monitor the votes to help prioritize this along with other data connection requests. You may want to add a comment about connecting to SharePoint in the thread discussing PowerQuery.

Steve K [MS Excel]

10. Mac numeric keyboard changing from dot to comma

Dear sir or madam,
    As soon as I upgraded to office 365 on my MAC, I have this really irritated problem:
    When I input numbers as accounting or currency in the sheet, I usually use the numeric keyboard (which is on the right side of the keyboard). Beforehand I use the dot (.) as the comma (,) in this numeric keyboard in the oud version excel (2011). But with the new excel 2016, the dot (.) appears to be the dot (.). So I have to use the comma key on the other side of the keyboard, which is near…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Fixed Width Data Import Wizard Needs Scroll Bars Like Windows Version

The fixed width data import wizard does not allow horizontal or vertical scrolling in the data preview like it does in the Windows version. This makes it impossible to create or edit Connections for complex text data files. I see at least one other person here with the same request and the issue is far from a new one to me.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Text import Wizard

The font used in the text import wizard really needs to be changed. 1. The preview window is to small and the font used in the preview window is to small and should be like Helvetica or something so the text is much easier to read. The zero's wth slashes is awful. please fix this so it is as nice as the windows version. Thank you.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Web query in Excel 2008 vs 2016

I have a question involving using web queries in the Mac version of Excel 2008 and Excel in Office 2011 or 2016.

I have written some web queries for use in in Excel 2008. These queries get stock prices.

Here is a sample, file name “stocks.iqy”:

WEB
    http://finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes?s=T+MO+AEE+BCS+WATT+HCP+JNJ+KMB+MRK+NAT+SFL&f=l1

This query was originally used in a 2008 sheet. It also works when the original sheet is opened in Excel 2011 and 2016. However, if I start a new sheet in version 2011 or 2016 and try to insert the saved query into the new sheet, I receive dialog: “The file…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Question about moving from cell to cell

I am new to the Mac Office. I used to use a PC Office 2010 version. New computer meant new office on a mac. The most frustrating thing I've noticed so far. Is when I am in one cell, and I'm done typing I hit "tab" to have me move to the next cell. But, I am having to hit "tab" or "enter" and then "tab" again before I can move to the next cell. I'm sure it's a simple thing, but it's very frustrating! Because if I don't pay attention, and I just hit "tab" once, and start typing,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow copy/paste fraction input w/o converting to a freaking date!!!

Excel for Mac insists upon converting a fraction into a date. Believe or not, people still use fractions, and number/number is not always a date.

Allow copy/paste fraction input w/o converting to a freaking date!!!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel 2016 Please return the "enable: all files" in the text import box so we can import files that have extensions other than .txt

Excel 2011 had the option at the bottom to switch to "all files" when importing text files so that files that had extensions other than .txt would not be greyed out. This is now gone in Excel 2016 so it is impossible to import text files that have other file extensions unless you rename them (which is very impractical for me).

Please put the option back! I want to be able to import .dat, .ici, .ocw and so on as I used to on Excel 2011.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. get rid of the "Data connections have been disabled" error message that appears every time you import anything.

get rid of the "Data connections have been disabled" error message that appears every time you import anything.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Open files with alternative extensions

I'd like to be able to open files with arbitrary file extensions.

Many files I have or work with are tsv files, but don't always have that extension, and it's not even an option to open them in Excel!

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Data Import  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Fix ODBC and/or JDBC Connectivity in Excel for Mac 2016

Currently Excel for Mac 2016 fails to connect to our system using a JDBC connector provided by OpenLink. This could be brushed off, however Excel for Mac 2011 works perfectly on the same system.

The connection is made and data is correctly imported using 2011, but not 2016 on the same system. It fails with the following pop-up error via 2016:

[OpenLink][ODBC][JDBC Server]java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/ibm/as400/access/AS400JDBCDriver

This would appear to be an OpenLink or Java error, however this is consistently reproducible on the same system with 2016 and works fine on the same system with 2011 via the same file.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base