Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Need a way to turn off a recurring disclaimer after it presents itself a few times

I've started using the Stocks data types and now all workbooks that have them get the disclaimer banner on each sheet every time I open it up. After seeing it a few times, the user needs to have a way to turn it off. Otherwise , it just an annoyance. Thank you.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Static timestamps that has an option to be updated when a target cell is updated.

It would be great to have the ability to use a function that targets a cell and when the target cell receives a value gives a "static" Date and Time stamp. Also have a true/false option for updating timestamp when target cell value changes.

Currently the only options are VBA or circular reference. NOW just isn't any use for static timestamps?? Or have

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "Find All" feature not available in Excel for Mac?? There are workarounds, but take longer to find all results of a search. PLEASE fix!!!!

"Find All" feature not available in Excel for Mac?? There are workarounds, but take longer to find all results of a search. PLEASE release a download so that I can use it, or at the very least, implement for future releases/verisons.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. VLOOKUP and 256 characters limit

Many functions in EXCEL for MAC 2011 don't work at all (they return the dreaded #VALUE field) if the one of the reference cells has more than 256 characters. This is the case already for VLOOKUP, and for TEXT. Possibly for others as well?
    Users shall have a list of these, to avoid disappointment. Of course if it could be corrected it would be better.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow the NULL() result in a formula to create an effectively empty cell. This posted in the Windows side but not on Mac

There is not way to get a formula result to be the same as an ampty cell.
    This explored in much more detail on the Windows Excel side by Jon Peltier.
    It would be extremely useful as a statistical 'Missing Value' flag that should propagate through formula as though the cell were empty.
    Bob Jodan

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. add Let function to Excel for macOS

Please add the Let function to macos excel. Some people/colleagues are already using the Let function in the Excel Windows version documents and the file doesn't work on the Mac.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow Trace Precedents/Dependents) to work on protected sheet

If you protect a sheet, Trace Precedents/Dependents no longer works, even if you can see the formulas. This can be annoying if someone wants to see the calculation flow, but the author doesn't want anything changed.

Either completely disable formula tracing only if the formulas are also set to hidden or add another option to the Protect Sheet dialog to toggle this on or off.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Update tooltips and autocomplete/auto suggest to match Windows version functionality

I've encountered two major differences between the Mac and Windows version that have to do with the auto-suggestion of 1) arguments for functions that require specific inputs, and 2) structured references. (Screenshots attached)

1) Take SUBTOTAL() for example, whose first argument is a function_num which must be a number 1 through 11 which correspond to other functions like SUM, AVERAGE, etc. In the Windows version, these are presented to you as soon as you type the function, but in the Mac version you either need to have the numbers memorized, or look it up in the help.

2) Excel for…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Simplify formula entry / autocomplete

If you enter a formular in a cell (e.g., "=Sum...") the autocomplete function pops up and presents you possible functions. You can select one of the functions by pressing the up- and down-keys. However, the most intuitive and consistent way to choose the highlighted function by pressing the enter key does not work as expected. If you press the Enter key, Excel stores what you have typed so far in that cell instead of selecting the function and move on to filling out the arguments.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add feature to list all functions and include all functions offered on PCs

Add feature to list all functions and include all functions offered on PCs

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Alt shortcuts for the Mac pls

Please provide Alt key equivalent shortcuts for the Mac

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Money for Excel-Allow the same transaction to be split into various catgeories.

Certain items, especially income, need splitting; in order to accurately separate expenses like withholding for taxes or healthcare premiums.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Excel: UserForm option should be returned in Excel.

The UserForm command is not available in Office 365 (Excel). I need it!!
    Especially as user interface to fill in data in large Excelsheets.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Adding notes to formulas?

Formulas can get extremely messy with messy data. This is especially true when a formula is 10+ lines long. Often, re-reading a formula a few weeks later is absolutely indecipherable. Can we somehow be able to add notes to a formula, similiar to the ' in VBA?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Include IFS function in Office 2016 Excel

Why isn’t the IFS function in Office for Mac 2016 Excel? I can’t imagine it’s a technical problem. An explanation would be interesting.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Timecode Calculator

I'm a video archivist frequently working in excel with footage logs. I'm always looking for tools & formulas for calculating various durations of footage down to the frame. [ HH:MM:SS:FF] I'm looking for a cell formatting and a formula that would allow me to calculate (add & subtract) Timecodes. Another trick to this problem is that footage can have a few different frame rates (frames per second). I know several networks of fellow archivists who would appreciate this kind of functionality. I'd be glad to discuss this further if you're interested in developing.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Enable batch convert cell refs in formulas from relative to absolute in one go.

Sometimes we need to convert a relative reference in a cell (e.g. A1) to absolute values (e.g. $A$1) or the contrary. This is a painstaking process, requiring to click in the cell, locate the references, and adding/removing the $ as required. It is tedious and has to be done cell by cell, and within a cell ref by ref. Like the middle ages! It would be useful and great to enable to select the cell (and even a group of cells) and toggle ALL REFS at once to absolute and relative.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. translation function

It would be a great time saver if there was a translation function that worked like a reference function. Especially if you work internationally and have to enter 2 languages in e.g. a list to make it easier to understand, this function would be very practical, because you would have to enter it once and then you could transfer it to the other cells.
    For example: column A is German and column B should contain the corresponding English translations. Instead of having to translate everything manually, a function would be simpler here, which would transfer the following information: If A1…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Combine Arrays Function: COMBINE(Array1, Array2 , ...)

A functions to combine arrays and return a single array. For example, I have a spreadsheet that contains a list of schools and a list of theatres. Some schools also have theatres, so I would like to combine a subset of the schools with the theatres to produce an array of venues that then be used as a validation list. Currently I use the new FILTER() and SORT() functions to create 2 arrays and then use an awkward and complex array function with helper functions (based on MID()) to combine them. Would be great if I could just e.g. SORT(COMBINE(A3#,B3#))

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base