Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add more basic Quick Access Commands on Office 2016 for Mac: * , / , + , - , = thank you

Need Quick Access Commands for basic math:
    Multiply: *
    Divide: /
    Add: +
    Subtract: -
    Equal Sign: =

Your help to add these icon commands will be greatly appreciated. It will simplify my operations.

Thank You
    Pino

Thank You

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. conditional cell formatting

Like in google sheets, provided conditional cell formatting. For example, in cell C1, if the value is above zero, the cell's text will turn green. If below zero, the cell's text will turn red.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make the one version identical to the other

How can a pc version of Excel be different to a mac version? If we are being forced to upgrade office to benefit from all the new features in excel, then no matter what our platform we should have all the benefits.

I upgraded specifically to get the IFS function, which I now have found out is not available in MAC.... why not?

Make the two versions offer the same capability as soon as possible!

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. FIX CONDITIONAL FORMATTING

You have taken something simply and made it incredibly difficult to do. Typical Microsoft. Just copt a rule from one cell to another. Simple stuff, impossible to do in your product

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. We need a "SORT" function to automatically sort rows or columns.

The syntax would be simple: =rowsort (array,column to be sorted,0 or 1).
    Array: select the array of the desired sort
    Column: the column number to be sorted
    0 or 1: ascending or descending.

The "column" syntax entry could be further expanded to include the order of the columns to be sorted by; ie rowsort(A1:D19,{1,2,4},0) would indicate the array A1:D19 would be sorted ascending in the order of column 1, then 2, then 4.
    issues: 1. if the first sorted column is entered first (for data entry) the whole row would instantly sort when "Enter" is selected unless one has set…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Interpolation function for Excel

When you have a number in cell A1, say it is "10" and then another number in cell J1 and it is "100" it would be great to have a function to do linear interpolation (lerp) between the two numbers without having to resort to long and complicated formula that is easy to get wrong.

Function LERP:
    =LERP(startvaluecell, endvaluecell) for a simple useage
    or
    =LERP2(startvalue, rangefirstcell, endvalue, rangeendcell)

So using LERP and my example:
    A1= "10" , B1=LERP(A1, J1), C1=LERP(A1,J1), D1=LERP(A1,J1),…I1=LEPR(A1, J1), J1="100"

SO USING LERP2 and my example
    A1="10",…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Update tooltips and autocomplete/auto suggest to match Windows version functionality

I've encountered two major differences between the Mac and Windows version that have to do with the auto-suggestion of 1) arguments for functions that require specific inputs, and 2) structured references. (Screenshots attached)

1) Take SUBTOTAL() for example, whose first argument is a function_num which must be a number 1 through 11 which correspond to other functions like SUM, AVERAGE, etc. In the Windows version, these are presented to you as soon as you type the function, but in the Mac version you either need to have the numbers memorized, or look it up in the help.

2) Excel for…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. AutoSum Shft+Alt+T Bug

Can you please fix the auto sum keyboard shortcut Alt+T to behave like that of Excel 2011 and the Windows Version? It seems like the behavior is broken in Excel 2016. It sums a column of numbers way to fast and doesn't let you see the selection and then press enter to except it. Also, when summing from the side of a column, it does a fast 1 cell sum. In order to make this keyboard shortcut behave correctly you need to hold down Shift+Alt+T until the selection is paused so you can then hit enter or make an expanded…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Bug associated with how ISNUMBER handles blank cells when used in SUMPRODUCT

With the help of a user who is using Excel 15.25 on a Mac, we discovered a difference between how ISNUMBER handles blank cells when used within the SUMPRODUCT formula. Or at least that is what we think is going on. I am using Excel 2016 on a PC. I have attached a test workbook, a screenshot of what I see when I open the workbook in Excel 2016 on a PC, and what the user see when he opens the same workbook in Excel 2016 on a Mac.

If A1 is a blank cell, then ISNUMBER(A1) returns FALSE.

So,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Provide tools for working with names. Insert->Paste doesn't work. Define has no edit. What are we supposed to do - delete and redefine th

Provide tools for working with names. Insert->Paste doesn't work. Define has no edit. What are we supposed to do - delete and redefine the table or name? That's pretty lame. Define shows the range and has a definition box, but I can't do anything with it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please create a function that will give you the Range (largest-smallest value)of a data set. ex.=range(a1:a13)

Please create a function that will give you the Range (largest-smallest value)of a data set. ex.=range(b1:b13).

More detail:
    Sales person: (a1) a b c d e f g h i (j1)j

(b2) 11 12 9  13 12  13  3  2   14  (j2)1  

=range(b2:j2) math: 13-1 answer: 12

Excel should look at only the highest and lowest digits within a given range and subtract the higher value from the lower.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Argument tooltips in Russian localization

No argument tooltips in Russian (and, maybe, another languages, I didn't check that) localization in Excel for Mac in versions above 15.29. Looks like temporary disabled and then forgotten feature.
    I have to stay on 15.29 and ignore updates.
    I appeciate if you pay attention for correction and respond here (it is awkward to check each release by installing->noresult->uninstallwholeoffice->returnbackto15.29).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. "Break link" command causes Excel 2016 to crash

Serious Issue in Excel 2016
    Copying a table of data or a figure from Excel 2016 to another work book retains the links to the source workbook as it should. However, there"Break Link" command causes Excel to crash. Please fix.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Touchbar absolute/relative formula shortcut (F4)

When entering a formula, please add a touchbar button (ideally around where F4 used to be) to toggle relative/absolute cell reference. Again, would be much simpler than pressing Fn + F4, which often doesn't work at the moment either.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow spreadsheets with links to other spreadsheets on network drives to work between Mac and Windows

(we have a case open with Microsoft of this: 117010515137743 )

We have two spreadsheets on a shared network drive, spreadsheet 1 has links to cells in spreadsheet 2. If we create the links on a Windows machine running Office 2016 (link looks like this: ='\staff01\staffshare\CentralDepts\Technology\NetworkServices\MSTest\Folder2[Main.xlsx]Sheet1'!$B$5), when we open the spreadsheet on a Mac running Office 2016, the link is broken! (on the Mac, the link is: ='\staff01\staffshare\CentralDepts\Technology\NetworkServices\MSTest\Folder2[Main.xlsx]Sheet1'!$B$5, which is not a valid path on the Mac).

If we fix it on the Mac, so now the path looks like this: ='\staff01\staffshare\CentralDepts\Technology\NetworkServices\MSTest\Folder2[Main.xlsx]Sheet1'!$B$5

When we open it on Windows, Excel tries…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. "Paste as pdf" feature is not working properly

Excel 365 (2016) issue. This is a big problem for me.
    I very frequently copy content from Excel to paste into reports and other documents in WORD. In earlier Excel versions, the most efficient and highest resolution method to do this is to highlight the cells/tables/graph or other content in Excel, copy it. and paste in Word as a pdf. In Excel 2016, Paste as PDF is still an option but the resulting paste does not retain the formatting of the original content, which defeats the purpose of pasting as a pdf. The only other option to get a high…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. You have to bring back Clipboard in Excel 2016

Sorry, I have commented before on this topic but I have to comment again. This is crazy and incredibly frustrating. The Clipboard is so essential. Right now I am trying to copy about 22 individual rows of data (each about 32 columns wide) but spaced about 50 rows apart, so they have to be done individually, to another part of the sheet quite some distance away. Without clipboard it is so frustrating. Once the row is copied,iIf I make one little error, like selecting the wrong staring cell to paste or pressing some other key, the copy is lost and…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Issue with tracing dependents

EXCEL 15.30. I know one can use the Precedent tool to see what cells are used in the formula of a particular cell but the tool requires finding, activating, and turning off, not to mention the really annoying and completely unnecessary new feature of the message box that tells you that there is no dependent or precedent, thus requiring another mouse click to remove the message. In all previous versions of Excel, simply double clicking in a cell would highlight cells that are dependents. OK, this happens in 15.30 as well but the highlights disappear as soon as one starts…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base