Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Manual" calculation setting should not affect other spreadsheets

If a user has a spreadsheet that has calculations set to "Manual" (for what reason, I can't fathom), if they open that spreadsheet first, then all subsequent spreadsheets open in that session will do manual calculation.

Calculation settings should not be global like that. If you have to have a Manual calculation spreadsheet, that should only affect that single spreadsheet -- not any others that may be concurrently opened.

This is a terrible design choice.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Static timestamps that has an option to be updated when a target cell is updated.

It would be great to have the ability to use a function that targets a cell and when the target cell receives a value gives a "static" Date and Time stamp. Also have a true/false option for updating timestamp when target cell value changes.

Currently the only options are VBA or circular reference. NOW just isn't any use for static timestamps?? Or have

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. clicking on cell while using formula adds it to formula

In older versions, (2011) when you entered "=" and clicked on a particular cell, it added that cell's value to the formula. You could then click on another cell and it would use addition to add the second selection. Example: When entering = and clicking A1 then clicking B1, then clicking C1, formula would calculate "=A1+B1+C1". Now we have to manually enter "+", or the cell first clicked is replaced with the most recently selected cell.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Hello I've been using Excel on Mac for over 20 years, I've always liked to be able to Sommer discontinuous cells, simply by selecting them

Hello

I've been using Excel on Mac for over 20 years, I've always liked to be able to Sommer discontinuous cells, simply by selecting them one after the other after putting the = sign in the cell to receive the sum... it never worked On Windows versions and if I was not careful I found myself with the value of the last cell clicked instead of the sum of the Series.
    Here I've just acquired and installed Office 365, instead of my "old" office Mac 2011 and this automation of the sign + no longer functions...
    Do you have any…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Timecode Calculator

I'm a video archivist frequently working in excel with footage logs. I'm always looking for tools & formulas for calculating various durations of footage down to the frame. [ HH:MM:SS:FF] I'm looking for a cell formatting and a formula that would allow me to calculate (add & subtract) Timecodes. Another trick to this problem is that footage can have a few different frame rates (frames per second). I know several networks of fellow archivists who would appreciate this kind of functionality. I'd be glad to discuss this further if you're interested in developing.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. "Find All" feature not available in Excel for Mac?? There are workarounds, but take longer to find all results of a search. PLEASE fix!!!!

"Find All" feature not available in Excel for Mac?? There are workarounds, but take longer to find all results of a search. PLEASE release a download so that I can use it, or at the very least, implement for future releases/verisons.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support for regular expression functions REGEXEXTRACT, REGEXMATCH, REGEXREPLACE

I would like to see support for regular expressions in Excel for Mac functions. Desired functions:
    REGEXEXTRACT
    REGEXMATCH
    REGEXREPLACE
    How they would work is explained on https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3098244?hl=en

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Just click individual cells to sum

Excel 2011 had the possibility to sum individual cells by typing "=", and then just clicking on individual cells across the workbook that you want to sum, and "return" when done. This functionality is no longer available in Excel 2016 (you have to type "=sum(", then clicking on the individual cells while holding down the command key, "return". I would be happy if the old functionality is brought to Excel 2016.

362 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

334 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update – thanks for the continued support of this feature. We’ll keep this request open for voting, but we’ll need to consider modifying the behavior slightly if it is to be brought back. For this suggestion, we would want to enable such behavior on both Mac and Windows, but we would need to do it in a way that does not cause problems for people who don’t want this behavior. For example, it may be that you would type =, then hold the CMD key as you click the cells to be added. Or perhaps you would need to enable a preference to get the old behavior. Please comment on these options or offer other ideas.

We’ve been working to make Excel more consistent between Mac and Windows, as can be seen by the updates over the past several months, which have satisfied several thousand votes on this forum (multi-thread…

9. watch window - to watch the value of cell in excel

Can we please have a Watch Window where we can see / monitor when the value in the cell which is being watched is changed. This functionality is available in Excel for windows under Formula's Ribbon under Audit formula section

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Fix concatenate function in formula builder so it doesn't crash Excels and force a shut down.

Using concatenate function in formula builder causes Excel to shut down. Repeatedly.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Autodetect functions used in Excel and link me to a short video explaining how to use them

I should be able to click on ANY cell with a formula, and then a Video button lights up to the right of formula bar, which takes me to an excel website with embedded 2 min videos describing the use and construction of the specific function in the formula bar!

For example: Imagine I have something like "=If(And(Or(xyz)))" typed into a cell, and I can't figure out how to make it work.

If i click the cell -> then click the video button that is now lit up, I should be taken to a webpage where the construction of IF…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add Evaluate Formula to Mac app

Please add the evaluate formula dialogue box to the mac app. With it you can evaluate a formula step by step and see which part of the formula works and where the problem is.

431 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

76 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. A better Name manager

Dear all,
    What I love, please read this a need, is a better Name manager.
    The size of the list is way to small. If you work a lot with names, then you get longer names which are not easy to select.
    Also would like to see an easier way to replace, rename and exchange Names and references. When I make a Template sheet with names/reverences and want to make multiply copies bij code or manualy, its a crime to change or update the Name.

118 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow for more than 7 nested IF() logical operators.

This would be helpful for teaching and assigning letter grades since there are 12 options.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Non-parametric statistical tests

Excel only offers parametric tests like the t-test and the ANOVA. It should also offer non-parametric tests that are not based on binomial distributions like the Mann Whitney (u test) for instance.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Webservice and FilterXML functions are needed!

The Webservice and FilterXML functions are supported in Excel 2013 for Win, they are useful function and I need the same functions in my work. Please add Webservice and FilterXML functions in Excel 2016 for MAC.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow the NULL() result in a formula to create an effectively empty cell. This posted in the Windows side but not on Mac

There is not way to get a formula result to be the same as an ampty cell.
    This explored in much more detail on the Windows Excel side by Jon Peltier.
    It would be extremely useful as a statistical 'Missing Value' flag that should propagate through formula as though the cell were empty.
    Bob Jodan

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow Trace Precedents/Dependents) to work on protected sheet

If you protect a sheet, Trace Precedents/Dependents no longer works, even if you can see the formulas. This can be annoying if someone wants to see the calculation flow, but the author doesn't want anything changed.

Either completely disable formula tracing only if the formulas are also set to hidden or add another option to the Protect Sheet dialog to toggle this on or off.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Include IFS function in Office 2016 Excel

Why isn’t the IFS function in Office for Mac 2016 Excel? I can’t imagine it’s a technical problem. An explanation would be interesting.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base