Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Mac

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Welcome to the Excel for Mac forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SPLIT CELLS!!!

Please make it so we can split cells like in windows! Why is this not a feature for Macs?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Don't use scientific notation for 13-digit numbers

13-digit ISBNs are widely used in the publishing and related industries. It is beyond frustrating that there is no option to set the default to storing and displaying numbers fully, rather than in scientific notation. If one is sent a CSV containing 13-digit ISBNs, opens the CSV then saves it again, they are corrupted and unusable. It is a bug, in my view!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix the missing ADD TO PRINT AREA function

In Excel for PC there are 3 options SET PRINT AREA, CLEAR PRINT ARE and ADD TO PRINT AREA, the last option is missing in Excel for MAC

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. touchbar

I would like to easily highlight a cell with the touchbar but the color i most frequently use or even the "last" color used is not an option. I suggest you include whatever color is in the highlight/fill button be included in the touch bar.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Excel 16.30 for Mac has a bug that inhibits the printing of comments at the end of the sheet

Comments can be seen on screen as show comments or if print as displayed is selected then they print but overlay the spreadsheet. the option to print at end of sheet is available in the page set up but if selected the comments are not shown in print preview and do not print.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Provide a CHANGE CASE button in the Excel tool bar (upper, lower,regular ...) like the one in Word

Many of us use Excel not only to calculate but also to present tables and graphs. It would be VERY helpful if you could provide a CHANGE CASE button for the tool bar (and/or the Cell formatting menu). This feature existed for Mac in the pat (pre 2013) but has disappeared. It is VERY annoying. PLEASE PUT IT BACK!!!!!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Cell formats in Excel for Mac

When modifying the format of a cell in Excel for MAC, one should be able to either save a custom format (currently it disappears when you shut Excel) or edit a default style or add a style to the drop down list. I have a date format I like and have to re-create if every time I want to apply it.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Keep lines when filling cells with color

Make it so lines between cells don't disappear when you add fill. Having the lines gone makes it hard to read across the sheet horizontally.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Correct border changes

When I change existing border settings in cells, rows, or columns the new setting is ignored, and instead, the previous settings are even removed.
    I am using Office 2019.
    Before when I made changes to border setting, for example replacing a thinner with a thicker line, I just had to select the new line style, click the border I wanted to change and the new line style was set.
    Now, when I do the same, the new line style is displayed right after clicking the border I want to change, but when ok'ing back to the form, the border line…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Bring back option to remove black line around embedded Word documents

Enable Shape Format --Shape Outline options for embedded Word documents on spreadsheet that appear as objects. In past versions of Excel, you could remove the black line in formatting so that text appeared on the sheet without a border. Haven't been able to turn in reports for over a year in newer version. Only works with the text box which defeats the purpose of being about to Word functions such as grammar, etc. inside Excel.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please, let us change the page size again to custom sizes!

I have to change the paper size to 90cm width, but obviously it isn't possible anymore in Excel 2016! How am I supposed to print my files now? The support assistant told me that it actually isn't possible, but sent me - as a workaround - a link to a forum entry where people were complaining about the lack of this feature... by the way, the workaround didn't work! ^^ People in the forum suggested using Numbers instead. As a matter of fact, I probably will have to do that as the quality of excel is getting worse and worse…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Include format options for controls

Currently there does not appear to be a method to format controls (Check boxes, Option Buttons etc) in Excel for Mac 2016. When inserting a control, there is a fixed size and font only which may not not be suitable. Provision needs to be made for a user to format the font/size of the control text/label and potentially the size of the control itself (size of the checkbox for instance).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Date format addition

Please add the date format option to have the date read as 01/01/2018.

This option is not available in Mac version 14.5.7

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Fix problem with relative reference formulas in conditional formatting

At present, if I want to compare 2 values in a row, I can easily use the conditional formatting feature to choose from which value is the highest, and change the colour of the cell for example.

The problem occurs when I want to apply that to each row.

At present, if I select the cells and use format painter, I can apply it to the 2 cells in the row below, and the conditional formatting formula is applied perfectly (relative to the 2 new cells).

However, if I want to apply that all rows relatively, select the cells with…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Decimals with external numeric pad

When using an external numerical pad with a Mac, the dot for decimals is automatically changed into a comma, hence the figures are not recognized as numbers but as text (even though the Mac and Excel settings for decimals are set to dots).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Issue with text fonts and size in graphs

EXCEL 2016
    I have a graph with x values from -2 to +10. The font type and size are consistent for the 0 to 10 labels on the X axis but the -1- and -2 labels are a different font and a larger size. And these two tables are not in alignment, being lower down than the other labels. I cannot seem to change this to make the labels all the same. Is this a glitch or yet another feature that requires another scavenger hunt.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. How is the default wording "Microsoft Office User" changed in the Comment feature of Excel?

How is the default wording "Microsoft Office User" changed in the Comment feature of Excel?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Hebrew Lunar Calendar

Excel gives calendar support for the Arabic calendar.

I am sure there are many highly technical users working with spreadsheets with arabic calendars (pyrotechnic engineers? Pilot trainees?)

Certainly Microsoft is making enough money off the backs of the many Jewish engineers working for them in Israel, that they could finally get around to converting the Lunar calendar, which would Jewish Excel users to sort a column on Jewish dates. And please add it as patch for Office 2011, as many are more comfortable with that version vs later revs.

PS - Someone did most of the work here, but it…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. conditional number format

Restore the tab that give ability to change number format (currency symbol) in the custom format box when creating a conditional format formula

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base